FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community

Some ideas about how I configure my Fedora xx and other /home folders.

I have 4 terrabyte drives and one SSD on my computer. Two of the terrabyte drives I bought, the other two I obtained via people's trash. Yes, some people trash a PC if it no longer boots. I salvage the drives.

Re two of my disks
    -------------------------
    Within one of them, /scratch, I set aside a 200gig partition into which I store most of /home. On the other, /backup, I use it as a backup to /scratch. My SSD is only used for / and /boot and a skeleton /home.

With all my "stuff" on my /scratch disk. My SSD's / directory including /home is around 14 gigs in size.

Here is my home (~) folder to show how it is organized.
    Code:

lrwxrwxrwx. 1 leslie leslie   12 Aug 28 15:51 bin -> /scratch/bin
    drwxr-xr-x. 2 leslie leslie 4096 Aug 29 20:03 Desktop
    lrwxrwxrwx. 1 leslie leslie   20 Aug 28 15:51 Development -> /scratch/Development
    lrwxrwxrwx. 1 leslie leslie   18 Aug 28 15:51 Documents -> /scratch/Documents
    lrwxrwxrwx. 1 leslie leslie   18 Aug 28 15:51 Downloads -> /scratch/Downloads
    drwx------. 7 leslie user   4096 Aug 25 22:38 Dropbox
    lrwxrwxrwx. 1 leslie leslie   14 Aug 28 15:51 Music -> /scratch/Music
    lrwxrwxrwx. 1 leslie leslie   17 Aug 28 15:51 Pictures -> /scratch/Pictures
    lrwxrwxrwx. 1 leslie leslie   15 Aug 28 15:51 Public -> /scratch/Public
    lrwxrwxrwx. 1 leslie leslie    8 Aug 28 15:51 scratch -> /scratch
    lrwxrwxrwx. 1 leslie leslie   18 Aug 28 15:51 Templates -> /scratch/Templates
    lrwxrwxrwx. 1 leslie leslie   15 Aug 28 15:51 Videos -> /scratch/Videos
    As you can see, what is left alone in my /home are the hidden files (mozilla .cache, dropbox etc) but all the rest have been moved to /scratch. I wrote a script that I store on /scratch and it is used to create the links that you see above.

I have one "current" Fedora configured as above, and two test Fedoras that are similarly configured. No matter which Fedora I boot, each has the same /scratch linked as above.

When I install a new Fedora version or other system, as all my data is on that /scratch. After booting a clean installation, I run that script and it reconfigures the existing ~ home directory and recreates the above links.

Having the buik of ~ on /scratch is the better than if I protect /home from modification during a Fedora reinstallation. My advantage in creating links, is that when I want to redo Linux system, I can delete -- wipe out a continguous area of disk space that was reserved and let anaconda create a replacement Fedora in that wiped out area. I then add the /scratch and the /backup to the /etc/fstab and run the mentioned script. Bingo, I am back in operation.

As you can tell /backup is a backup to /scratch. On /backup I have a few directories that are not on /scratch

One is /backup/ISO (various backup or test copies of Linux ISOs), and a true backup of my ~

I also have an external disk for two week backups.

What about /usr, /bin, /etc

------------------------------
    Anytime I create a modification to /usr, /bin or any subdirectory of /, I create an image of it on /scratch.
    I also have a script to restore those modifications from my backup to the newer Fedora system.
    By the way, if I was to redo the above, In lieu of /scratch, I would replace scratch with another name, perhaps /data or /prod.

What "tricks" do you use for your "home" desktop or laptop?
    Leslie in Montreal

Interesting web sites list
    http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showth...40#post1697840

Re: Some ideas about how I configure my Fedora xx and other /home folders.

Interesting - I may try a variation.

My /home "trick" is about maintaining access times.
    /home is a separate partition, for which there is a read only bind mount. I use the read only mount to do backups, so that the /home access times are not changed by backups.
    /home is mounted with a "strictatime" mount option, although for most purposes the default "relatime" is close enough - purposes like archiving or deleting old stuff that hasn't been accessed in a long time.

If "valid" access times are to maintained, there are a couple of other "tricks" that need to be considered: only doing "grep *" on the read only mount, and turning off previews in the file manager. "strictatime" can be useful for stuff like debugging and security investigations.