FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community

Another delusion from Fedora

I recently advised a friend to switch from zorin to fedora, he succeeds but gnome seems not to recognize him as a laptop and when he closes the display, he does not stay in suspende, remains on.
    I suggest installing proprietary drivers and stopping to go.
    My friend have xps 9560 and zorin (gnome) not have a problem.

Now stop to suggest fedora.

Have a good life

Re: Another delusion from Fedora

Fedora certainly gets tested before being released, but it's impossible to check every combination of hardware and software. If your friend's laptop has NVidia drivers, some distributions automatically use the closed source ones, but Fedora, for various reasons, uses the opensource Nouveau which is a work in progress and still has issues.

If your friend had time and inclination to work with developers at all, they could file a bug and possibly fix the problem or problems. I'm not familiar with Zorin, but many of us recommend LinuxMint to people who are looking for something to work out of the box.

(Looking at the Zorin website, it seems that they try even harder to please people coming from Windows or Mac, so it might be a better choice for your friend.)

Yes have nvidia gpu and install from RPMfusion.
    Zorin comes out with open drivers same Fedora.
    My friends have installed proprietary driver same in Fedora, but on Zorin not have problems with closing display (lid) or kernel panic.
    I understand that it is impossible to test on all the hardware but the only thing that matters is that no it works.
    I think the most sensible solution is to get it back on zorin or arch if he wants to learn something more but he does not fedora.

Have a good life
    Crestfallen user

Don't complain if you have a problem and don't want to investigate why this problem happens. It is rude!
    Go to whatever distro you want but when I read threads like I'm leaving because my OS doesn't work the way I like... makes me sick.
    And for the record, have you installed and started acpid?

By the way, once you mentioned ArchLinux, if you post this kind of thread at their forum, you'll get binned before even you click the 'submit' button.

Alex, if you have an issue with another forum member's posts in future please just report the offending post to forum staff and we will deal with it as we see fit.

Thread moved to rants section.