FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community

No WIFI after kernel upgrade

Running fully updated F26, KDE on a Dell latitude (sorry - not sure what flavor wifi card is in that thing). Since last night's kernel update, I see no available networks to connect to. That's a first for me.

IWCONFIG shows only that the access point is not associated and for ESSID, it shows "off/any".
    iFCONFIG shows no wireless interface at all - I was expecting to see a bit about wlp6s0, the wireless interface, but... nada.
    Any help is appreciated.

Re: No WIFI after kernel upgrade

Have you tried running "akmods --force"?

??? Thanks for the tip, Haydn. But am I mis-remembering something? Isn't almonds all about nVidia graphic cards?
    I'll look into it.
    BTW, is akmods -force done from root?

On a whim, I booted with the previous kernel. Sadly, that did not help.
    Also, I don't have akmods installed (and no wifi to dnf it). Ummm... dumb question. Akmods doesn't happen to be a kernel option, per-chance?
    Thanks.

akmods isn't exclusively for nvidia drivers, like dkms it can be used to make sure other user installed drivers are carried across to newer kernels as well.

yes akmods should be run either with root or sudo rights should you have it installed in the first place. It's a separate package

I doubt anyone will be able to come up with an answer here without knowing more about the wireless chipset that you have in that machine.

Usually running:

Code:
    lspci
    in a terminal would reveal that and it'll help if you copy and paste back the information just on your wireless card for someone to make some educated guesses.

Just on the offchance that doesn't reveal the card then:

Code:
    lsusb
    might do it for a device plugged in that way.

Just for background information, and not trying to be exhaustive, wireless cards may be supported directly by the kernel with the addition of some firmware. Those often work "just out of the box". Intel are usually like that.

Then there are the sort that require a specific kernel module to be in place. Broadcom is a typical example here.

Often the kernel modules that are required are in a third party repository. It always used to be rpmfusion for Fedora, I assume it still is.

Those modules are kernel specific and require re-compiling by the developers for each new kernel and sometimes the modules are late arriving in the repositories. Though here, typically, booting to the older kernel will get round the problem until the newer module arrives.

To get round that there is a system called "akmod" which once installed on your computer (when you first install the distribution?) will automatically compile a new kernel module each time your machine updates with a new kernel.

Along with the output from the commands above, it might be helpful if you could say what was done when the system was first installed and how long it actually has been working.

Thanx for this info, bbfuller and antikythera. I actually start to comprehend.
    I'll be doing the lspci and slush thing when I'm back from work, but because I know the graphics card is Intel, I'd guess the wifi is too.

I got the Dell only months ago and immediately installed F25 over the windows it came with. Shortly after, I installed F26 over that (complete installs, not upgrades) and had immediate access (which is why I feel so ignorant today).

The plan is to next use the live F26 to see if I can't connect that way. If so, backup and reinstall.

If not, I' going to question my hardware. BTW, is there some subtle "on switch" buried in KDE's network connection stuff? If so, I haven't found it.

Again, thanks. This has helped!

I'll be doing the lspci and slush thing when I'm back from work, but because I know the graphics card is Intel, I'd guess the wifi is too.
    This is a very wrong assumption. First of all there is no "graphics card" as the Intel GPU is built into the CPU as with most Intel CPUs these days. Therefore this doesn't mean you have an Intel wireless chipset.

Also since a kernel update broke your wireless it is highly unlikely that you have Intel wireless as Intel drivers are included in the kernel and don't need to be recompiled.

Hello jbuckley2004

Like you apparently, I'm a KDE user. I'm not aware of any mysterious switch built into KDE for the wireless. Wireless setup is usually desktop agnostic.

There is a program called "rfkill" that can be used to determine if your wireless is turned off by external means. Sometimes for example the software that controls the keyboard wireless controls can be at fault.

As to which wireless chipset you have in the computer, I checked three of the same model of laptop yesterday out of curiosity. They were all Acer B113's. They all have basic Intel chipsets covering things like Graphics and Sound. They all have the same Broadcom chipset for ethernet. For wireless one has Intel Centrino the other two have Atheros chipsets, but of two different varieties.

That's why we get so picky about just what you have in the machine when talking about wireless. You can't just go by the laptop model number.

Amiga, yes - thanks for the intel. I was being sloppy.
    Bfuller, I'm doing backups even as I type (on the wife's iPad, using the "two-finger search and destroy method of typing, which accounts for all my typos).

Onward!

I've (somehow) fixed the wifi problem.

I got into the bios, but, seeing nothing that seemed relevant, changed nothing deliberately. I then reset everything to defaults. After that the wifi works again. Go figure. Maybe it had something to do with the eye of gnute or the innocent insect I sacrificed in effigy.

Regardless, thanks for all the tips.