FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community

vnc server black screen

Has anyone solved, I mean really solved, the VNC serer (TigerVNC Server) black screen issue? It seems to have been a problem since F25 and after an hour of research I can't seem to find a solution that works. I have changed the xstartup file as recommended by adding startx &. I have tried commenting out the xinit line and adding a new line with gnome-session, and a few other "fixes" and I still get a black screen on the client.

Very frustrating, so if anyone has an answer, I would very much appreciate it.

Thanks.

I am running F26 on the client system also.

Re: vnc server black screen

Well, VNC is mostly a Windows thing. You can do everything VNC does, and more, with SSH, securely.

Your local machine already has a desktop, so there is not much point in forwarding the whole kaboodle from the other machine over the wire and overwrite your local desktop.

With SSH, you can run any remote application transparently on the local desktop:
    $ ssh user@server remoteprogram
    --
    Have fun!
    http://www.aeronetworks.ca

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchman
    Well, VNC is mostly a Windows thing. You can do everything VNC does, and more, with SSH, securely.

Your local machine already has a desktop, so there is not much point in forwarding the whole kaboodle from the other machine over the wire and overwrite your local desktop.

With SSH, you can run any remote application transparently on the local desktop:
    $ ssh user@server remoteprogram
    Ok, many thanks for the suggestion. I tried as you had it written and got the folowing:
    "Nothing to Do".
    So I tried it like ssh -X user@server inkscape (inkscape is loaded on the server and an app I want to run) And I got a .XAuthority does not exist. So I logged on to the server and tried again. .Xauthority message is gone now, but all I get is a blinking cursor, but it did start inkscape on the server???

So my guess is something up with X and the new F26? I am quickly getting out of my comfort zone when it comes to this kind of thing.

UPDATE

Ok, it seems that Inkscape is the only program that doesn't seem to want to run. All the other programs seem to execute just fine. So on to solve that problem.
    Last edited by ov10fac; 10th September 2017 at 06:37 PM.

So, I solved this problem by going another way and using ssh. But that raised other issues that I will address in a new thread.

You may need to enable some compression, and a simpler encryption algorithm, to save bandwidth and processor overhead:

ssh -C -c blowfish -X user@server "leafpad filename"
    --
    Have fun!
    http://www.aeronetworks.ca

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchman
    You may need to enable some compression, and a simpler encryption algorithm, to save bandwidth and processor overhead:

ssh -C -c blowfish -X user@server "leafpad filename"
    Thanks, appreciate the information and help.