FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community

How can I get xorg log ?

Hi. I'm asked for xorg log to solve VGA bug. How can I get it ? I'm on Fedora 26 X64 Cinnamon edition.
    Fedora 26 X64 bit Cinnamon edition on Lenovo ThinkPad e550 with Intel core i7 5500 CPU @ 2.40 GH X 2, RAM = 8 GB, HHD = 1 TB, Hybrid VGA (Intel Corporation HD Graphic 5500 + Radeon R7 M265 2GB)

Re: How can I get xorg log ?

using the file manager look in the folder /var/log. there should be a couple of xorg logs there. I believe xorg.0.log is the one you'll need but check the time and date in the file properties for the most recent one.

There is nothing in /var/log since long time ago. X.org logs are stored under /home directory now instead.

Code:
    ~/.local/share/xorg/Xorg.0.log

There is nothing in /var/log since long time ago. X.org logs are stored under /home directory now instead.
    This lxde f26 shows:
    Code:
    [tom@owl ~]$ find /var/log -name Xorg.0.log 2>/dev/null;find /home -name Xorg.0.log 2>/dev/null;find .local/share -name Xorg.0.log  2>/dev/null
    /var/log/Xorg.0.log

exactly, I was using F26 MATE when I checked where to find the xorg log. I don't know what you are using srakitnican, Fedora 50?

You might want to check the dates.

Code:
    $ LC_ALL=C ls -l /var/log/Xorg.0.log 
    -rw-r--r--. 1 root user 79619 Aug 11  2016 /var/log/Xorg.0.log
    So I am guessing you are using Xorg session as a root user. Not a default Fedora Workstation configuration.
    Last edited by srakitnican; 10th September 2017 at 10:16 AM.

No, as a standard user and it's nothing to do with Workstation, that isn't present. I installed from a Spin. The date stamp was yesterday which is why I said to User808 to also check the date as there are three files in that directory. xorg.0.log.old xorg.0.log and xorg.9.log. xorg.0.log is the active log.

Maybe if you use Wayland it doesn't get updated but for Xorg sessions outside GNOME 3 it does.

even in CentOS 7 using MATE desktop (network install with EPEL enabled so again no GNOME 3) the time and date stamp relates to 10 september 2017, 9:37AM which is when the session started this morning.

Are you sure Xorg process is not run from root?

Code:
    $ ps aux | grep [X]org
    I am using "Gnome on Xorg", I know that Wayland does not use Xorg logs. My Xorg logs under home directory are up to date. Starting from Xorg 1.16 it is possible to run it as a rootless. Whether that happens or not seems to depend on hardware (presence of KMS drivers) and login manager used.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php...rg_.28v1.16.29

GDM also runs Xorg without root privileges by default when Kernel mode setting is used. If you don't use KMS with NVIDIA, you can force rootless Xorg as described above via Xwrapper.config.
    EDIT: Yeah CentOS 7 is running Xorg from root account for me as well.
    Last edited by srakitnican; 10th September 2017 at 11:29 AM.

ah, seemingly yes it is but I log in as a standard user.

Code:
    [antikythera@aures ~]$ ps aux | grep [X]org
    root       679  0.0  0.0 216944  4740 ?        Ss   09:36   0:00 /usr/bin/abrt-watch-log -F Backtrace /var/log/Xorg.0.log -- /usr/bin/abrt-dump-xorg -xD
    [antikythera@aures ~]$
    I'll look at root-less xorg for my notebook as it looks like a good idea. I don't want to risk breaking the proprietary AMD driver on this CentOS system though. Thanks for the link and info.

I'll try in VM first as I don't know if lightdm will respond correctly. The Arch wiki only refers to GDM