FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Re: Linux is growing

I'm anxiously awaiting arrival of a new Dell XPS desktop tower w/ Windows 10 Pro
    ======
    Doug G
    ======

Quote Originally Posted by Doug G
    I'm anxiously awaiting arrival of a new Dell XPS desktop tower w/ Windows 10 Pro
    OS: Fedora 27 x86_64 | Machine: HP Pavilion a6130n | CPU: AMD 64 X2 Dual-Core 5000+ 2.6GHz | RAM: 7GB PC5300 DDR2 | Disk: 400GB SATA | Video: ATI Radeon HD 4350 512MB | Sound: Realtek ALC888S | Ethernet: Realtek RTL8201N

. Your saying you was 'stuck' and couldn't buy the tower with a good OS on it right? . Part of the Linux problem of not being offered pre-loaded on computers for distribution in the big box stores... Know the feeling!

Recently, I bought a brand new $800 Dell i7 laptop for $600 and of course it had o' Win10 on it... First thing soon after cracking the lid and pressing the power button was wipe the SDD and installed with Linux Mint.... Everything just works as it should! Wonderful feeling.

Plenty of manufacturers offer Linux with new systems these days. Dell offer pre-installed Ubuntu and RH across a good range of desktops and notebooks.

The crux of the matter is that Microsoft still offer incentives to OEMs to ship Windows and advertise their systems as featuring the OS on the TV, in the press, high street and internet. So finding them isn't easy

Yeah, I know they are out there and order one straight from Dell ... but try to find one pre-loaded with Linux that is on sale... Say during the holiday season or school sales where sometimes hunderds of dollars off. Easy enoughtto buy/wipe (for me anyway). My desktops I build up myself, laptops though you really just have to buy one.

The market share went down very slightly by last estimates on other resources. The desktop market share will remain middling for the foreseeable future. There just isnít a reason for any desktop user to switch, outside of curiosity and work/professional demands.

I think macOS really stole the market that would have been most eager to jump on Linux, and distorts desktops have been too volatile and slow to address that market properly. I think Ubuntuís success is telling, in that way.

In any case, I donít like Linux on laptops. The battery life takes a nosedive compared to Windows and macOS, and the trackpads almost never work as well (palm rejection, sensitivity, etc.). Graphics drivers are also worse, and things like display brightness are finicky (often the settings in KDE and GNOME done work at all, and it resets to full brightness every time you reboot).

I also had massive performance issues with Wayland, so I had to replace fedora on the laptop I use to run Linux with OpenSUSE and/or Ubuntu (both of which run fine, but I scrapped Ubuntu when I found out they were moving to Wayland and GNOME in 17.10 - avoiding potential issues in the future).

Iím not sold on preloaded laptops. I think for the most part they slap Ubuntu on it and call it a day, and it wonít have the kind of long term 1st party hardware support you get with Windows or macOS, where you can just install the old drivers on a new version of the OS and things just work flawlessly (especially on Windows).

I feel like I will save more money over the long term by just buying it with Windows, and running Linux in Hyper-V when needed.

Iím contemplating doing that soon, and putting my Windows HDD back in my Linux laptop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm the opposite. I install Fedora and run Windows in a VirtualBox VM when I need to. Which is only when I buy a new CD and rip it with EAC.

dd_wizard

Quote Originally Posted by dd_wizard
    when I buy a new CD and rip it with EAC
    Why not use cdparanoia or cdda2wav in Linux? I've had good results with those tools.
    OS: Fedora 27 x86_64 | Machine: HP Pavilion a6130n | CPU: AMD 64 X2 Dual-Core 5000+ 2.6GHz | RAM: 7GB PC5300 DDR2 | Disk: 400GB SATA | Video: ATI Radeon HD 4350 512MB | Sound: Realtek ALC888S | Ethernet: Realtek RTL8201N

Ripping a cd is one thing I don't do on windows. I've been using grip for the last 10 years or so, I'm always happy to see when it's still included in new fedora releases.

I do, however, use nero on windows to burn audio CD's from .wav files. It's the only burner I've found that automatically turns the .wav filename into cdtext, all the linux burners make you re-type the track name again to get it written to cdtext.
    ======
    Doug G
    ======

Iím not sold on preloaded laptops.
    Only thing going for this is you know that Linux will run on the laptop. If I bought one of these, I'd load the linux distro of 'my' choice.

As above, for me, if I need Windows for some reason unforeseen, it would be loaded into a VM, not the other way around. When my current WIN7 box stops working, there will no more Windoze machines in this house.

I'm a registered MS Windows Beta tester. That way I get a free copy to use in a VM on Linux or MacOS when I need it. As a service to humanity, I file MS Windows bug reports too. There is no reason to let innocent children suffer, when I could have helped...
    --
    Have fun!
    http://www.aeronetworks.ca

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchman
    There is no reason to let innocent children suffer
    Nah, kids need to suffer. It toughens them up and prepares them for the real world! A world full of disappointment and broken dreams.

Quote Originally Posted by RupertPupkin
    Nah, kids need to suffer. It toughens them up and prepares them for the real world! A world full of disappointment and broken dreams.
    right said!

I am an optimist. I raised three kids to respect others and to be optimists. And guess what? People gravitate to optimistic people, people who exude confidence, positiveness and the belief that tomorrow is as good or better than today.

Yes, they handle negative consequences by positive thoughts and actions. They do not stress out for actions that they cannot control. I can't say that my kids had to suffer, unless it was tough lessons about respecting others.
    Last edited by lsatenstein; 26th September 2017 at 02:30 PM.
    Leslie in Montreal

Interesting web sites list
    http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showth...40#post1697840

Re: Linux use is growing

Quote Originally Posted by lsatenstein
    Aww

Desktop Linux Now Has its Highest Market Share Ever

Linux Market Share has increased

There has been an upsurge in the desktop Linux market share which has seen a rise to 3.37% in the latest statistics on Net Market Share for operating systems. Linux market share has witnessed a steady increase, especially in the last two summer months.

The stats show May 2017 with 1.99%, June with 2.36%, July had 2.53% and August showed Linux market share increasing to 3.37%.

Net Market Share is an analytical company that “collects data from the browsers of site visitors to our exclusive on-demand network of HitsLink Analytics and SharePost clients”. Their network includes over 40,000 websites across the globe.

Quite clearly this is not the real statistics on how many Linux desktops are in use and perhaps that is even not possible. But this is as close as we can get in collecting data on Linux market share.
    Chromebooks help Linux Market Share?

The stats seem to take count Chrome OS as Linux since it is built on top of Linux kernel. Chromebooks, devices pre-installed with Chrome OS, have grown popular lately especially among college going students.

Chromebooks are usually lower end devices that have low prices and are lightweight. They come handy in carrying around and taking notes and saving them to cloud.

This might be a factor as students preparing to go to college may have boosted Chromebook sales. going back to school since Chromebook is bought by students and schools for the school year.

However, this is my speculation and it may happen that more people are actually using desktop Linux. It is worthy to note that Linux distros dominate the market in servers and embedded devices. Not to forget that Linux simply rules super-computers with almost all of the top 500 supercomputers running on Linux.
    As i know the Linux operating system is generally used for corporate servers and is not suitable for personal use, because the graphical interface of LINUX is not as good as WINDOWS! LINUX is generally used to knock , i have used the Linux a few years ago , but at that time , it doesn't work for me .maybe i'm not good at it, especially forgot login password and don't know what to do,In terms of password management, Windows is more comprehensive than Linux
    Last edited by Hamkkerty; 29th September 2017 at 03:54 AM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast