FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Linux use is growing

Awwhttps://itsfoss.com/linux-market-share/

Desktop Linux Now Has its Highest Market Share Ever

Linux Market Share has increased

There has been an upsurge in the desktop Linux market share which has seen a rise to 3.37% in the latest statistics on Net Market Share for operating systems. Linux market share has witnessed a steady increase, especially in the last two summer months.

The stats show May 2017 with 1.99%, June with 2.36%, July had 2.53% and August showed Linux market share increasing to 3.37%.

Net Market Share is an analytical company that “collects data from the browsers of site visitors to our exclusive on-demand network of HitsLink Analytics and SharePost clients”. Their network includes over 40,000 websites across the globe.

Quite clearly this is not the real statistics on how many Linux desktops are in use and perhaps that is even not possible. But this is as close as we can get in collecting data on Linux market share.
    Chromebooks help Linux Market Share?

The stats seem to take count Chrome OS as Linux since it is built on top of Linux kernel. Chromebooks, devices pre-installed with Chrome OS, have grown popular lately especially among college going students.

Chromebooks are usually lower end devices that have low prices and are lightweight. They come handy in carrying around and taking notes and saving them to cloud.

This might be a factor as students preparing to go to college may have boosted Chromebook sales. going back to school since Chromebook is bought by students and schools for the school year.

However, this is my speculation and it may happen that more people are actually using desktop Linux. It is worthy to note that Linux distros dominate the market in servers and embedded devices. Not to forget that Linux simply rules super-computers with almost all of the top 500 supercomputers running on Linux.
    Last edited by lsatenstein; 8th September 2017 at 03:53 AM.
    Leslie in Montreal

Interesting web sites list
    http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showth...40#post1697840

Re: Linux is growing

Another factor is people are getting fed up with W10 downloading 3-4GB updates every year and screwing around with partitions, using cumulative patches that won't install or if they do cause a loop of BSOD errors.

Also, couple that with features changing all the time, bloatware and advertising popups and it's really not hard to see why MS have lost a few percent to OS X, Linux and Other OS. Chrome is classed as Other OS, they've got that slightly wrong in the report.

W10 has become no better than using a rolling linux distribution where you'd expect such dramas. Not from a supposedly mainstream commercial operating system.

Desktop Linux Now Has its Highest Market Share Ever
    thats really great!

bob is offline Administrator (yeah, back again)
    Colton, NY; Junction of Heaven & Earth (also Routes 56 & 68).

What's suspicious here is that Apple is only a few hundredths ahead of linux. Really? But then again, it's been quoted for years that linux percentages have ranged from 1.5 to 3% of users. Still going to take a few hundred years to reach world domination, I'm afraid.
    Linux & Beer - That TOTALLY Computes!
    Registered Linux User #362651

Don't use any of my solutions on working computers or near small children.

While it would be very nice to see Linux get above the "background noise" and "rounding error" band, I have seen these bumps many times over the years. I'll believe something is happening when Linux overtakes Macs.

The thing that Linux is missing is the advertising dollars of a major brand.

I realised that Linux was good enough for the average user when Asus introduced the Eeepc. They actually advertised the Linux one as being for the novice user and the Windows version for the power user. That told me that if they thought a novice user would be happy with it then Linux had arrived.

Of course Microsoft went ballistic and I am fairly sure made some rather forceful deals to push Linux out of the desktop & laptop markets.

Sadly, I don't really expect desktop Linux to gain a significant market share until desktop computing becomes obsolete. This may not be too far into the future - I expect to see a steady rise in sales for docking stations for mobile phones.

Quote Originally Posted by bob
    What's suspicious here is that Apple is only a few hundredths ahead of linux. Really?
    only when including iphone, ibull**** etc..

On my web site, all the UNIXes together is usually about 10% during the week, and 25% over the weekend.
    --
    Have fun!
    http://www.aeronetworks.ca

What's suspicious here is that Apple is only a few hundredths ahead of linux. Really? But then again, it's been quoted for years that linux percentages have ranged from 1.5 to 3% of users. Still going to take a few hundred years to reach world domination, I'm afraid.
    If you consider that most of those Apple and Linux users probably have a Windows desktop at work that already shifts the market share in Windows favor to about 50/50 just for the Apple/Linux users.

What's suspicious here is that Apple is only a few hundredths ahead of linux. Really?
    That's only for OS X 10.12. If you add up all the OS X versions, it comes out to 5.94%. That's a bit down from a few years ago (2015), when OS X had a total 7.38% share (and Linux was only at 1.57%). So it looks like Linux is gaining at Apple's expense. Good.
    OS: Fedora 27 x86_64 | Machine: HP Pavilion a6130n | CPU: AMD 64 X2 Dual-Core 5000+ 2.6GHz | RAM: 7GB PC5300 DDR2 | Disk: 400GB SATA | Video: ATI Radeon HD 4350 512MB | Sound: Realtek ALC888S | Ethernet: Realtek RTL8201N

Quote Originally Posted by RupertPupkin
    So it looks like Linux is gaining at Apple's expense. Good.
    .....d'accord.

Quote Originally Posted by RupertPupkin
    That's only for OS X 10.12. If you add up all the OS X versions, it comes out to 5.94%. That's a bit down from a few years ago (2015), when OS X had a total 7.38% share (and Linux was only at 1.57%). So it looks like Linux is gaining at Apple's expense. Good.
    Interesting, I wonder how many people in that bracket are like me? When I bought my new Macbook the Linux kernel didn't have all the drivers required so I used MacOS for a bit, then when the kernel caught up with Apple's hardware I switched back to Linux.

Quote Originally Posted by ocratato
    While it would be very nice to see Linux get above the "background noise" and "rounding error" band, I have seen these bumps many times over the years. I'll believe something is happening when Linux overtakes Macs.

The thing that Linux is missing is the advertising dollars of a major brand.

I realised that Linux was good enough for the average user when Asus introduced the Eeepc. They actually advertised the Linux one as being for the novice user and the Windows version for the power user. That told me that if they thought a novice user would be happy with it then Linux had arrived.

Of course Microsoft went ballistic and I am fairly sure made some rather forceful deals to push Linux out of the desktop & laptop markets.

Sadly, I don't really expect desktop Linux to gain a significant market share until desktop computing becomes obsolete. This may not be too far into the future - I expect to see a steady rise in sales for docking stations for mobile phones.
    Hi Ocratato
    I guess what you are forecasting is: a decline in MS windows and a decline in Mac and a decline on Linux when docking stations for mobile phones becomes the next new norm.

I suspect that its only we diehards, schools, businesses and medical professions will keep the Desktop system.
    Leslie in Montreal

Quote Originally Posted by lsatenstein
    Hi Ocratato
    I guess what you are forecasting is: a decline in MS windows and a decline in Mac and a decline on Linux when docking stations for mobile phones becomes the next new norm.

I suspect that its only we diehards, schools, businesses and medical professions will keep the Desktop system.
    Actually its probably schools and businesses that will see the largest decline in desktop systems. Most of the desktop business machines spend their days processing web, email, word processing and an occasional spread sheet - these are all things that could be readily done with a docked smart-phone. I suspect that a large proportion of the drop-off in PC sales is because for casual personal use the phone has made a personal computer redundant for many people.

I expect desktop systems will migrate toward the upper end of the performance spectrum since they will be primarily used for tasks that are too CPU intensive, or require too much memory, for a phone. Things like CAD, video, and software development (and games).

My guess is that this migration to docked phones will hit Windows the hardest. Macs seem to have a reputation as being for heavy design work, so phones would not be an appropriate replacement. Similarly I would not expect much impact among existing Linux users.

The question facing Microsoft is how to keep the company viable without their flagship product having a dominant market position. If Windows disappears from most corporate desktops then the reason for a lot of their other products becomes problematic.

So, Linux market share will steadily rise as it retains its user base while the total market size shrinks.

I think that MS is as aware of that pending sharp knee drop. From what I read in the press, MS is concentrating on providing games that need Xbox and other hardware. As the profit shrinks, they will start to provide non Intel based hardware. They are concentrating on running some Linux versions as an application. And then there is the cloud services.

I would say "we live in interesting times."
    Leslie in Montreal

I suspect that MS have known for a long time that its bad practice to be too dependent on a single product.
    However that strong dependency on Windows meant that anything they experimented with that showed any sign of denting the sales of Windows usually got shunted off to never-never land.

It is only now that they can see the inevitable shift away from Windows, and having missed the mobile boat, that they are trying to get their other products onto other platforms.

The result is that they may have left it too late to shift to other sources of income. They have been forced to downsize their staff numbers, and that will often mean that their best people are the first to leave.

Anyway, I have never been overly worried about MS (other than their undue influence on the hardware companies). Very few companies in IT have been able to last for more than a few decades - IBM being the notable exception, and it has never been obvious that MS management could do the same tricks. Linux, however, is likely to last for a very long time, especially if Linus can find some way of getting out of the loop.

The problem we now face is the cloud.
    OSS came into being because it was thought that having your data processed by software you had no control over was a bad idea.
    With the cloud we have given up control of our data as well, and in the process produced a highly centralised internet. Does anyone (other than MS, Amazon, and Google) think this is a good idea?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast