FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community

I need help softimage 3d please !

I need help, I need to work Softimage 3d 4.0 2002, was launched for Linux Red Hat 6.2 on 2002 (without being version Enterprise) I try to run the Setup installer file, but not it just pops up, some help of how to proceed? What do I do? The installation simply does not appear, even clicking to run, what do I do? Any help? Fedora 26? please !.

Do you need to host my disk file for analysis?

Re: I need help softimage 3d please !

try running it with CentOS 6.9 either in virtual machine or as a bare metal install. that is your best bet at getting the correct supporting libraries the program requires

https://wiki.centos.org/Download

Quote Originally Posted by antikythera
    try running it with CentOS 6.9 either in virtual machine or as a bare metal install. that is your best bet at getting the correct supporting libraries the program requires

https://wiki.centos.org/Download
    It requires only the Xfree 4.01

well that could be an issue since Fedora has used Xorg instead of xfree for as long as I can remember. Admittedly I've only really been using Fedora long term since version 20 but in Fedora terms that's a long time.

CentOS 6 appears to use Xorg too

well that could be an issue since Fedora has used Xorg instead of xfree for as long as I can remember. Admittedly I've only really been using Fedora long term since version 20 but in Fedora terms that's a long time.

But I think it should work, I'll try it tomorrow.

It did not work, installed CentOS 6.9 I upgraded with Yum Update command, tried to run the setup but pops up the following error: There are no packages to run executable files. have anywhere solution ?

are there any installation instructions with the program? did it come in a compressed tar.gz archive you need to unpack or are you actually trying to run a file ending in exe on linux rather than a linux program?

It would be useful to know exactly what you are doing with this mystery executable to try and install it. please give step by step details.

are there any installation instructions with the program? did it come in a compressed tar.gz archive you need to unpack or are you actually trying to run a file ending in exe on linux rather than a linux program?

It would be useful to know exactly what you are doing with this mystery executable to try and install it. please give step by step details.
    It is the CD Softimage 3d 4.0 executable made for Linux launched for Red Hat 6.2 (note: It is not for Enterprise version), it comes Linux executable file accompanied by tar.gz: Render, export, import only

again, please give step by step details of what you are doing.

our trusty crystal ball has gone for an annual overhaul I'm afraid, so without this very basic information it will be extremely difficult/impossible to help.

Colton, NY; Junction of Heaven & Earth (also Routes 56 & 68).

Here's your problem:
    Softimage|3D is a discontinued high-end 3D graphics application developed by Softimage, Co., which was used predominantly in the film, broadcasting, gaming, and advertising industries for the production of 3D animation. It was superseded by Softimage XSI in 2000.

In other words, it's over 15 years dead. Use something else. Also this: https://www.autodesk.com/products/softimage/overview which indicates that you would have had to purchase it, while it was alive.
    Linux & Beer - That TOTALLY Computes!
    Registered Linux User #362651

Don't use any of my solutions on working computers or near small children.

GallComp is offline Nuke 'em Alfred! Administrator - Starring in Bill & Steve's Bogus Journey

Quote Originally Posted by bob
    Here's your problem:
    Softimage|3D is a discontinued high-end 3D graphics application developed by Softimage, Co., which was used predominantly in the film, broadcasting, gaming, and advertising industries for the production of 3D animation. It was superseded by Softimage XSI in 2000.

In other words, it's over 15 years dead. Use something else. Also this: https://www.autodesk.com/products/softimage/overview which indicates that you would have had to purchase it, while it was alive.
    Even the XSI version has been discontinued, the last version was released in 2014, named Softimage 2015. The support ended in may 2016.

For the OP, you should try Blender, it is free, powerful, and in active development.

"Since when has the world of computer software design been about what people want? This is a simple question of evolution. The day is quickly coming when every knee will bow down to a silicon fist, and you will all beg your binary gods for mercy. "

BILL GATES...