FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community

Isp mixing?

If someone wants to hack your data stream and you are at home, I assume it's pretty easy to identify your stream, especially if you're the only one there at the time. I believe this is why it's recommended to do any sensitive research at a coffee shop, where it's more difficult to isolate your stream, from eveyone else's. I'm also aware that some homeowners with can-tennas and different ISPs share their WiFi with one another this way as a backup for loss of connectivity in one or the other home.. Why couldn't someone just aggregate many ISPs and then share this with the entire neighborhood, or within their own group to maximize annonymity, even when at home? Heck, several master nodes coulld even mix with one another, to really get your signal lost...

Re: Isp mixing?

The public/coffee shop idea blows my mind - the very place that's easy to eavesdrop.

Then there's the 'hopping' concept - if it indeed worked, you'd never get anything done - your machine would spend the entire time 'authenticating' and syncing. And, like I said, if it indeed worked! My feeble understanding is that network cards tend to 'hang onto' a connection until the signals is just too weak to do so - THEN it looks for another, taking some time to 'connect/authenticate'. And isn't there 'handshaking' to a connection - i.e. you can't just bounce connect to connect. Packet you request (half of your communication) are delivered via the connection that requested them. If you're not there anymore, dropped packets and you not receiving anything.

Correct me if I am wrong - I don't mind learning. To me, this whole concept just seems, well ...

just my 2 cents, or even less
    Change - the only constant.

Some ISP already 'share' customers connections. BT for example. the openzone is in a separate channel to private wifi (supposedly isolated).

First thing I did with our BT router was disable this and change the default admin and wifi passwords. they are always way too weak. then changed and hid the SSID for 2.4G and 5G channels. I change the password regularly and use a password generator application to create scrambled character passwords from the supported full ASCII table.

Read up on 'Round Robin DNS' and 'LAG'.

Quote Originally Posted by flyingfsck
    Read up on 'Round Robin DNS' and 'LAG'.
    Thanks for the suggestions. Round Robin DNS appears to be a load balancing technique, rather than a security measure; however running my own 'encrypted' DNS server is something I've been considering. I'm currently using some alternative free DNS servers; but I don't know if these are encrypted. I also recently installed DNSCrypt, which I'm hoping will improve my infosec.

A couple of months ago I installed 'Yandex Browser.' This is a 'more' secure version of Chrome and uses encrypted DNS by default. Yandex Browser doesn't offer very many extensions; but I just discovered that it will install and run 'most' Chrome Browser extensions. I've now got this tweaked pretty well, so that when I visit "Panopticlick.com" it just spins without ever finishing the fingerprinting test. Also, it runs "bug-free;" so I'm now using it as my default browser. Occasionally it will break a site, so I keep a compromised instance of Google Chrome. That way, if the site I visit wants to strip-search me, I'll at least get my work done.

Quote Originally Posted by antikythera
    Some ISP already 'share' customers connections. BT for example. the openzone is in a separate channel to private wifi (supposedly isolated).

First thing I did with our BT router was disable this and change the default admin and wifi passwords. they are always way too weak. then changed and hid the SSID for 2.4G and 5G channels. I change the password regularly and use a password generator application to create scrambled character passwords from the supported full ASCII table.
    I think what I'm envisioning is creating a mini-ISP to share between several homes, maybe many homes. Of course MY rule will be NO LOGGING. As the Spanish have been know to say "Mi Cocina, Mis Reglas." Do you know if there are any routers that will accept multiple incoming signals, then fan these out; or am I really wanting a switch?

---------- Post added at 11:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:03 AM ----------

I read about something once called a PROXYHAM. Does anyone know how this works or how to make one?

"Occasionally it will break a site, so I keep a compromised instance of Google Chrome. That way, if the site I visit wants to strip-search me, I'll at least get my work done."
    Sooo, you are now very well protected against the good guys...

Yandex are no different to Google. They're the Russian equivalent and collect the same data Google do.