FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Guidance on partitioning of HDD.

I am trying to wrap my head around partitioning methods and I have messed up my primary windows 10 partition and laptop does not boot after I tried to resize it. This is a Toshiba P50-A (bios). Data partitions are NTFS.

I attempted to use test disk and fix the issue and it started asking me questions I did not really know 100% answer for.

Can anyone please clarity, if BIOS laptop can have GPT partitions on the hard drive (SSD)
    And vice versa if UEFI PC can have MBR partitions on its SSD.

Or is the rule of thumb to make data partitions MBR on the BIOS machine and GPT on UFI machine.

Is it normal that some DATA partitions are GPT and others are MBR on same HDD?

Re: Guidance on partitioning of HDD.

GPT or MBR are partitioning schemes that tells size and location of the partitions. It is possible to have a MBR partitioned device coexist with a GPT partitioned device on a same machine, but it is not possible to have both schemes on the same physical device because these two are not compatible.

UEFI PC can use a MBR partitioned device, with no problems.

what tells you the notebook is using legacy BIOS as opposed to UEFI? Which operating system did it come with new? As far as I'm aware that model comes with UEFI (even though referred to on their site as ACPI Flash BIOS). It has to be UEFI since it mentions turning off Secureboot to update the firmware from optical media for Windows 8 onwards according to the release notes.

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Unifi...FI_firmware.3F

Thanks for you reply. I am really curious to know if GPT partitioned HDD can be used with old BIOS PC.

yes it can, you need a 2MB bios_boot partition at the start of the GPT layout.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BIOS_boot_partition

but I believe your system is UEFI and not legacy BIOS for the reasons explained above

You are right so, it is UEFI.
    In setting it refers to it as 'system BIOS version 1.70'. - confusing heh?
    There is a secure boot option and it came natively with 8.1. Great article by the way.
    I just need to figure out how to fix my broken partition. And what the heck had gone wrong.

you may also want to download and apply 1.90 in place of 1.70 from the Toshiba website

I will do thanks.

I would not recommend using Linux tools to attempt your repairs - if you have access to another machine create a W10 DVD/USB and use the "native" Windows tools for your repairs (chkdsk, diskpart etc).

How far along the Windows boot does your harddrive get? If at all ???

I don't believe you can change from UEFI to Legacy after installations and successfully boot Windows in the other one and it work. Another reason it can fail is changing of storage drivers from AHCI to RAID. If you updated the BIOS and your storage driver mode went from AHCI to RAID (as is an option in Intel Rapid Storage Technology) Windows will no longer boot.

Windows 7 required GPT disk partitions with UEFI (and it seems likely that Windows 10 would as well).

Here is a link on one - http://www.rodsbooks.com/gdisk/mbr2gpt.html and here are good answers at superuser.com - https://superuser.com/questions/3899...fi-from-legacy

windows 7 didn't require GPT with UEFI, you can use either MBR or GPT. The notebook in question is already unable to boot windows since it was destroyed by a third-party tool so it won't matter if he starts from scratch with GPT in this instance.

Quote Originally Posted by satanselbow
    I would not recommend using Linux tools to attempt your repairs - if you have access to another machine create a W10 DVD/USB and use the "native" Windows tools for your repairs (chkdsk, diskpart etc).

How far along the Windows boot does your harddrive get? If at all ???
    I think you are right here about using native OS tools for repairs. It used to boot to
    GUI Windows 10 screen where I had 6 options. Some of them offered repairs which had not worked, but after I attempted Lunux tools it does not boot any longer.

Quote Originally Posted by antikythera
    windows 7 didn't require GPT with UEFI, you can use either MBR or GPT. The notebook in question is already unable to boot windows since it was destroyed by a third-party tool so it won't matter if he starts from scratch with GPT in this instance.
    Originally it was W8.1 laptop that was upgraded to W10 via Microsoft's update programme.
    Would I need to take into account what my recovery partitions partitions are formatted in?
    As I understand a single HDD cannot have partitions of different types, say MBR and GPT.

Cheers.

GPT and MBR are not partition types, they are partition table types. the partition table is the index of the partition layout on a drive. you can only have one partition table per drive so it will either be GPT or MBR but as I recall we've already established it is GPT in your other thread.

Quote Originally Posted by antikythera
    GPT and MBR are not partition types, they are partition table types. the partition table is the index of the partition layout on a drive. you can only have one partition table per drive so it will either be GPT or MBR but as I recall we've already established it is GPT in your other thread.

Thanks for clarifying regarding the table type.

I decided to live dangerously and ditch windows on this laptop of mine.
    That problem partition with W10 and data on it I decided to split in two - 1 for Linux and 1 for data.

Installed gparted. Created 1 primary partition for OS, where there is 450 GB of unalocated space at the moment.
    Shrunk this to 100GB. Attempted to create another one for Data, and got the message:

Its not possible to create more then 4 primary partitions.

As there 3 other primary partitions present(I assume W10 recovery) already. It must be an MBR disk then
    I do not think as this is a result of me attempting to fix the issue with testdisk earlier. I only applied it to one problem partitions and have not touched the rest.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast