FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community

Help NVME Drive Resetting

I've got a real problem at the moment, ever since upgrading to kernel 4.12 - my nvme drive has been resetting itself. I use this drive as my boot drive and because of this the root file system becomes read-only and eventually the system locks up.

Not sure how to debug this one or gather enough information to file a bug report, as the logs aren't getting written to disk for obvious reason. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I might capture what's going on?

I don't believe this to be an issue with the drive (Samsung pm961) as it's been working fine for around 9 months and the smart data doesn't show an increased error count and/or any failed checks.

Re: Help NVME Drive Resetting

My system is now completely unstable - this happens once a day, kernel panics are now occurring:

can you still boot into 4.11.11? If so, please report the 4.12 bug if you haven't already done so and use 4.11.11 for now

4.11 exhibits the same problem - looks like it may be related to apst which was introduced for the nvme driver in 4.11.

I've filed a bug and also written a patch to disable aspt deep sleep for this drive, which is in the report. I'm in the process of rolling my own kernel now - fingers crossed.

https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1487421

The plot thickens -

Looks like there are specific quirks in the kernel for some similar drives, but only when accompanied by specific motherboards. I'm in a bit of a mess, because also built a production system around several of these drives with rhel - really hope this bug doesn't filter down.

An another note I made a mistake with my original patch - made a typo (late night), I've now reposted the patch and have a running kernel. No resets so far - fingers crossed, I really wish I could get some acknowledgement from redhat on the bug report.

Hopefully it will be a good few years before this 4.12 kernel branch hits RHEL by which time such bugs will be ironed out.

Even for Fedora I reckon the kernel was pushed stable far too early as the bugs that have occurred since updating to it are not something users can put up with 'for the greater good'. I commented (about the same length of this post) about this mess in one of my own filed bugs and got asked not to rant because it isn't helpful. If I was going to rant, it would have been much longer, and nowhere near as restrained language wise. What I posted was the most polite way of getting my frustration across instead of going all out Linus Torvalds "&*() you NVIDIA!" on them

I can confirm that the kernel patch that I wrote has solved the issue for me.

Unfortunately this affects any kernel >= 4.11 - essentially wherever apst is enabled on the nvme driver. Looks to be a known issue with the apst code that means it interacts poorly with some Samsung firmware versions.

Earlier kernels aren't available on Fedora 26 - what do I do? I'm not getting any response from redhat - despite providing the solution. Am I stuck compiling my own kernel?

Just pinged this over to the mailing list...

They suggested that I need to submit this patch upstream - seriously? I'm not a kernel developer - I'll most likely get eaten alive.

Arghhh.