FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

What would you do if you won the PowerBall lottery

The Powerball lottery is known world-wide. The Powerball lottery had a winner. He or she will take home more than 400 million dollars net.

What would you do with that amount of money regarding IT, including Linux? Just limit discussion to IT.

Yes, we will all donate to charity, to buying toys, etc. But please, just for IT.

My answer (limited to IT)
    ----------------------------------
    After the dust settles and I bought a few non IT toys, I will still follow this forum and do the things I would like to do. Eg, build a better computer or have one built for me. Make sure I have very fast internet service in the house.

I would return to University to earn a software engineering degree. I currently have a math-physics degree, obtained when pure math and applied math was my first love.

I will also buy the next best Android cellphones for my immediate family.
    Leslie in Montreal

Interesting web sites list
    http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showth...40#post1697840

bob is online now Administrator (yeah, back again)
    Colton, NY; Junction of Heaven & Earth (also Routes 56 & 68).

Re: What would you do if you won the PowerBall lottery

I would buy a used tank to double Canada's defense capabilities and protect Leslie.
    Linux & Beer - That TOTALLY Computes!
    Registered Linux User #362651

Don't use any of my solutions on working computers or near small children.

Retire immediately and start travelling the world on Cruise Liners and staying in Luxury Resorts and Clubs being waited on hand and foot until it gets boring. Ready for when it does, buy a private Yacht and Island in the Med. No part of that plan needs to or would involves use of Linux or IT quite deliberately.

We know we have our dreams. But really, do any of you have a passion for IT, for hardware, software, algorithms, operating systems, business systems, etc.

I too could walk away from all things IT, but for how long. An artist, doing paintings, does not stop, it is his passionl. all of IT is my passion.
    Leslie in Montreal

I'd spend it all on hookers, Bentleys, and cocaine.

Quote Originally Posted by lsatenstein
    We know we have our dreams. But really, do any of you have a passion for IT, for hardware, software, algorithms, operating systems, business systems, etc.

I too could walk away from all things IT, but for how long. An artist, doing paintings, does not stop, it is his passionl. all of IT is my passion.
    the passion is fast fading and that includes usage for leisure as well as work. I enjoy spending time with my family, pottering in the woodwork shed and being outside in the real world much more these days. maybe it's because IT has been my main source of work for the past couple of decades so I've become over-exposed to it

also, there's nothing new and exciting that really interests me. the entire industry is treading water

If I was retired and had nothing to do with researching, testing new parts, customers and orders, servicing, tax returns, company filings etc. maybe the passion would re-ignite eventually, who can say one way or the other? at present i'd give my right arm off to just walk away from it all.

My view is that money comes in three sizes:
    1 - "Not enough" - this is where you are forever worrying about the next bill - this is not a nice situation.
    2 - "Enough" - this is where the bills are rarely a problem, and you can live comfortably.
    3 - "Lots" - this is where managing the money itself becomes a worry.

Similarly time comes in three sizes:
    A - "Not enough" - where there are many things you simply don't have time to do.
    B - "Enough" - where you have the time to do what needs to be done, and some for what you want to do.
    C - "Too much" - where you are bored out of your mind and cannot think of anything to do.

Winning a big lottery often moves people from 1A to 3C which frequently ends badly.
    A better prize for many would be a nice monthly payment that allowed them to be at 2B.

Its been my surprising observation that us humans are not all the same. While some think that accumulating a fortune is goal we should all aim for, others prefer to make stuff - engineering, artists, etc or simply spend their time interacting with others and trying to help them where they can.

Quote Originally Posted by ocratato
    It's been my not-so-surprising observation that life doesn't really lend itself to such neat little categories. Since we're not all the same, I've learned to take things on a person-by-person basis, instead of having preconceived notions about "sizes" and categories.

Quote Originally Posted by antikythera
    the passion is fast fading and that includes usage for leisure as well as work
    Yep, I've been spending more time away from computers when I can. Far more interesting stuff is out there in the world than IT.

Quote Originally Posted by antikythera
    there's nothing new and exciting that really interests me. the entire industry is treading water
    Agreed. IT has lost the excitement factor it had during the dot-com boom. I'm glad I've transitioned out of it.
    OS: Fedora 27 x86_64 | Machine: HP Pavilion a6130n | CPU: AMD 64 X2 Dual-Core 5000+ 2.6GHz | RAM: 7GB PC5300 DDR2 | Disk: 400GB SATA | Video: ATI Radeon HD 4350 512MB | Sound: Realtek ALC888S | Ethernet: Realtek RTL8201N

Quote Originally Posted by ocratato
    1 - "Not enough" - this is where you are forever worrying about the next bill - this is not a nice situation.
    2 - "Enough" - this is where the bills are rarely a problem, and you can live comfortably.
    3 - "Lots" - this is where managing the money itself becomes a worry.

A - "Not enough" - where there are many things you simply don't have time to do.
    B - "Enough" - where you have the time to do what needs to be done, and some for what you want to do.
    C - "Too much" - where you are bored out of your mind and cannot think of anything to do.

Winning a big lottery often moves people from 1A to 3C which frequently ends badly.
    A better prize for many would be a nice monthly payment that allowed them to be at 2B.

Its been my surprising observation that us humans are not all the same. While some think that accumulating a fortune is goal we should all aim for, others prefer to make stuff - engineering, artists, etc or simply spend their time interacting with others and trying to help them where they can.
    Aha, I AM A 2B (retired senior) and if my wife needs me to do chores, I become a 2A. I sleep well at night, except when I dream about my tiny Linux projects. And I usually solve my tiny projects while walking the dog or sitting in the car waiting for the wife to exit the grocery store.
    Leslie in Montreal

I would buy Bob a six pack of beer...

Quote Originally Posted by Iron_Mike
    I would buy Bob a six pack of beer...
    I would start using btrfs raid 5 and BFQ.

Quote Originally Posted by Dutchy
    I would start using btrfs raid 5 and BFQ.
    Googling BFQ brings up info for a bathroom fan. I suppose you mean something else for BFQ
    Leslie in Montreal

the bathroom fan may be more use to the average user

https://lwn.net/Articles/601799/

After reading about BFQ (Budget Fair Queuing) algorithm for scheduling, once again I am asking myself, how often are tasks rescheduled, and how long does it take for a revised schedule.

Reflecting about BFQ brought me back to my mainframe days. When I think back to mainframe, performance groups was a way to bias the OS scheduler. it was possible for a shop to break jobs into I/O bound, CPU bound, Memory bound, etc performance groups (classes). A scheduler used the "assigned property" to inform the OS scheduler about processing and I/O queues.

I suppose that if that task performance assignment concept was considered, we could put cp, rsync, tar and mv into the I/O bound class, and a compile or encryption task into the CPU bound class. A priori, the OS scheduling algorithm is given guidelines. The danger with letting the user arbitrarily assigning performance classes is that he may categorize his own programs incorrectly.

For the mainframe, there was a special class we setup for database/networking -- an online banking class. It actually worked out well. It may be possible that BFQ was used in MVS Database systems as far back as year 1980.

So, the BFQ article I read about was dated 2014. The reference PDF file link was /dev/null. I think I will just plan for a faster multi-core cpu and have one core do the scheduling for the remaining cores.
    Leslie in Montreal

Quote Originally Posted by RupertPupkin
    I'd spend it all on hookers, Bentleys, and cocaine.
    Hey.. A sharp programmer, and honest to boot!

You might even be able to afford another M keyboard with all that cash... And possibly a few corn dogs as well!
    Why is it that all of the instruments seeking intelligent life in the universe are pointed away from Earth?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast