FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community

Cloning existing VM to other PCs

Hi comrades,

I am new to Linux, I have configured Fedora 25 under Oracle Virtual Box to the way I like it, it took my considerable time to install apps and tweak the desktop.

In fact I like it so much that I would like to clone this machine on two other laptops. One of them is Asus and another is Apple Mac Book Air. I do not want to go through same process of configuring base image. Also I want these to be local installations, not VMs. On Asus this will be an only OS available and on Mac Book Air I would like to have an option to boot into MAC OS or Linux.

Please advise the best way to port this VM to two other laptops as local installs.

Any help will be appreciated.
    Cheers.

Re: Cloning existing VM to other PCs

I'm not sure you can because of hardware differences involved. An Oracle VM install works like a bare metal install in that it will detect available hardware (using virtual acceleration or faked by the VM software) during installation phase and setup the kernel modules accordingly.

Maybe someone else knows how it could be made to work but as far as I'm aware it would be unstable at best if it ran at all.

Quote Originally Posted by antikythera
    I'm not sure you can because of hardware differences involved. An Oracle VM install works like a bare metal install in that it will detect available hardware (using virtual acceleration or faked by the VM software) during installation phase and setup the kernel modules accordingly.

Maybe someone else knows how it could be made to work but as far as I'm aware it would be unstable at best if it ran at all.

I see, what you've said makes total sense to me. During installation it is indeed should detect hardware and install modules accordingly.

Thank you for your reply.

Well, reinstalling only takes about 30 minutes, vs hours and hours learning how to do it any other way...

The proper way to do what you want is to make a kickstart file listing the packages on your master machine and then replicate it onto any new machine. Kickstart will then install the required drivers and the same packages:
    http://www.aeronetworks.ca/2014/06/r...nes-using.html

Quote Originally Posted by ramzes777
    I see, what you've said makes total sense to me. During installation it is indeed should detect hardware and install modules accordingly.

Thank you for your reply.

You are correct re-installation does not take long, its the packages that you've installed and desktop configuration, that takes long, besides hard to remember all of the settings and tweaks you've made that seem to work so nicely

Kickstart, sounds just what I need. Thanks.

You can copy user's configs by copying home's .* [dot] files and directories into external memory

Thank you everyone for suggestions, I've found my answer.
    Do I need to mark this thread as resolved? If so, how ?

Use the 'thread tools' at the top of the thread.

If VirtualBox installation uses the same kernel, just making the partitions and then cloning the files with rsync for example on the disk should do it. All there is left to do then is to install and configure grub so that it can boot the kernel.

If you decide to that be aware to use appropriate flags for rsync, so that it copies all metadata as well. From my notes "rsync -avAX -H --numeric-ids".

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/GRUB_2