FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community

GNOME Software hangs when looking for printer driver

I am trying to install the driver for a Xerox WorkCentre 5330 on F26. I get notifications saying additional drivers are needed and offering to find them in GNOME Software. However, when I allow GNOME Software to search for them, it hangs indefinitely. Other options haven't worked, either. I tried running an installation script for the 5330 downloaded from Xerox's Web site, but it died suddenly after asking me to accept the license agreement. The list of drivers that show up when I click "Select from Database ..." in the Printers Settings panel does not include my printer and when I try to print something using the driver that does install, it provides no field with which to enter a user code for billing. Finally, installing XeroxPrtDrv with dnf doesn't appear to have added a driver. Suggestions?

Re: GNOME Software hangs when looking for printer driver

How is your printer connected to the computer. Is it via USB port or network connection?

Sometimes, your driver is common to many printers. Particularly more recent printers that respond to plug and pray.
    Look for a similar printer from Xerox. The driver for that printer will most probably work for you.
    Leslie in Montreal

Interesting web sites list
    http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showth...40#post1697840

Re: GNOME Software hangs when looking for printer driver

This is a network printer. I tried some different drivers, and I'm now connected to the printer. I even get a "Job Completed" message, but nothing prints because it's accompanied by an "invalid user" error. The problem is likely not the driver but my inability to figure out how to identify myself. I have a user code, but I haven't got it working. When I print from gedit, there is a Billing Info box I thought would accept it (but doesn't), and when I print from LibreOffice I've found no field at all for such information. Will keep searching.