FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: DNF update notifier

Well this is a bit late now but should you reinstall this might be of interest.
    Previously, I had only looked at the manifest of dnfdragora. I then realised, after looking at antikythera's post, that there was also dnfdragora-gui, so:
    Code:
    # dnf repoquery -l dnfdragora-gui
    Last metadata expiration check: 0:00:00 ago on Mon 14 Aug 2017 14:09:12 BST.
    /etc/xdg/autostart/org.mageia.dnfdragora-updater.desktop
    /usr/bin/dnfdragora-updater
    /usr/lib/python3.6/site-packages/dnfdragora/__pycache__/updater.cpython-36.opt-1.pyc
    /usr/lib/python3.6/site-packages/dnfdragora/__pycache__/updater.cpython-36.pyc
    /usr/lib/python3.6/site-packages/dnfdragora/updater.py
    /usr/share/applications/org.mageia.dnfdragora-updater.desktop
    and there is the problem:
    So my suggestion from post 7 was correct; it is like gnome-software and you can prevent it from starting at login. First do:
    Code:
    $ cp /etc/xdg/autostart/org.mageia.dnfdragora-updater.desktop ~/.config/autostart/
    (create ~/.config/autostart/ if it doesn't exist)
    Then edit ~/.config/autostart/org.mageia.dnfdragora-updater.desktop and add this line:
    Code:
    X-GNOME-Autostart-enabled=false
    then log out and log back in, or, preferably, reboot.
    Indeed, if you did not at least log out and back in, (preferably reboot) after editing /etc/dnfdragora/dnfdragora.yaml then dnfdragora probably would not notice the change.

Quote Originally Posted by kldixon
    Well this is a bit late now but should you reinstall this might be of interest.
    Previously, I had only looked at the manifest of dnfdragora. I then realised, after looking at antikythera's post, that there was also dnfdragora-gui, so:
    Code:
    # dnf repoquery -l dnfdragora-gui
    Last metadata expiration check: 0:00:00 ago on Mon 14 Aug 2017 14:09:12 BST.
    /usr/bin/dnfdragora-updater
    /usr/lib/python3.6/site-packages/dnfdragora/__pycache__/updater.cpython-36.opt-1.pyc
    /usr/lib/python3.6/site-packages/dnfdragora/__pycache__/updater.cpython-36.pyc
    /usr/lib/python3.6/site-packages/dnfdragora/updater.py
    /usr/share/applications/org.mageia.dnfdragora-updater.desktop
    and there is the problem:
    So my suggestion from post 7 was correct; it is like gnome-software and you can prevent it from starting at login. First do:
    Code:
    $ cp /etc/xdg/autostart/org.mageia.dnfdragora-updater.desktop ~/.config/autostart/
    (create ~/.config/autostart/ if it doesn't exist)
    Then edit ~/.config/autostart/org.mageia.dnfdragora-updater.desktop and add this line:
    Code:
    X-GNOME-Autostart-enabled=false
    then log out and log back in, or, preferably, reboot.
    Indeed, if you did not at least log out and back in, (preferably reboot) after editing /etc/dnfdragora/dnfdragora.yaml then dnfdragora probably would not notice the change.
    I'm almost tempted to re-install just to try this, certainly looks convincing. Hope someone gets to try it and let us know but, really, why enable caching by default and why make turning it off this awkward?

It didn't work for me, brotherpug. I'm running Fedora 26 inside VirtualBox on Windows 10. My Fedora 26 is configured to use the Mate desktop environment.

Before I followed kldixon's steps, I updated all the pending updates that the annoying widget was alerting me to. As long as it knows there are updates pending, that info could be in a cache file, which could override the effect of the prescribed steps, for all I know. Ok, updated.

Then I checked to see if I had the file-to-be-edited in my home dir. I didn't. So, I proceeded to copy it over from /etc.

Then I added the final line as instructed, being careful to match the punctuation, spacing, and capitalization.

Rebooted. Yay, no alerts from the widget on bootup, but after having just installed the pending updates, that was no surprise. That was Aug 23.

Continued working in the OS, with more reboots, for a day or 2, without a peep from the widget. Didn't use it on Aug 26th. Today, Aug 27, I started up the VM and booted the Fedora 26 OS, and was notified there are 144 pending changes. The widget will not be silenced. We are no match for its power.

did you try this?

Quote Originally Posted by antikythera
    the dnfdragora update checker can be disabled for example in mate-compiz spin by unticking the entry for it in control centre>startup applications.

Shendrite, can you confirm that the notification you received was indeed from dnfdragora and not some other source?
    Have you taken all the other measures mentioned in this thread, and threads referenced directly and indirectly, to prevent automatic updates, notifications and downloads?
    Both myself and brotherpug are using Gnome. I have never used Mate and do not know if it follows the same conventions and standards.

To kldixon, the dnfdragora widget has a distinctive yellow box appearance. The only other widgets in that entire quadrant of my screen are the volume slider, network status/WiFi, battery level, and clock. I've customized nothing in or around them from a fresh install (other than switching to Mate from Gnome 3).

Their neighboring widgets' colors are a mix of silver, blue, and black. The yellow bugger is pretty hard to misconstrue. The bubble that pops up telling me there are 144 updates is shaped like a speech bubble, with its tapered point directly under the dragora widget. Also, the speech bubble is a complementary yellow color, which doesn't prove anything, but sure implies it goes to that widget.

To antikythera, I have now unchecked it from the startup items control panel. Thanks. Feel free to facepalm. I get it. I think I looked for a startup items control in Gnome 3, before switching to Mate, and I didn't see one, so I dismissed the idea. When reading the previous posts here, I saw the phrase mate-compiz and skipped over it, thinking it was like compiz-fusion, being a separate app to install, which I wasn't ready to do. Apologies.

Onward. Round 2. We'll see if this works. Updating again to have a fresh slate of 0 pending updates...

If it is the case that Mate is not honoring the entries in ~/.config/autostart/, and antikythera's suggestion does not work, then you could try masking the system entry:
    Code:
    # mv /etc/xdg/autostart/org.mageia.dnfdragora-updater.desktop /etc/xdg/autostart/org.mageia.dnfdragora-updater.desktop.mask

I take the sledgehammer approach. In this instance I'm running Fedora 26/Cinnamon.

With regard to so called "settings", checking or unchecking, turning on or off does nothing. A waste of time.

PHP Code:
    cd /usr/xdg/autostart
    mkdir temp
    mv org
    .mageia.dnfdragora-updater.desktop temp
    Log out and in or reboot.

Works for me.
    Glenn
    The Bassinator

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2