FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community

Controllable Windows Anti-Virus

I have dual-boot Win7/Fedora laptop; and I'm having trouble finding a good anti-virus program that will just be an anti-virus, 'only.' All the ones I've used try to install browser extensions, software to protect email, monitor and 'prevent' system changes, etc. I don't want any of that. As a power user, I know what I'm doing and I make systems changes all the time. I don't want my anti-virus software to 'make or prevent' ANY systems changes UNRELATED to being an anti-virus. I'M THE SU! I don't want my anti-virus telling ME what to do...

Re: Controllable Windows Anti-Virus

try doing a custom setup of avast free edition and you can choose which components are installed. that way you can have just the AV. even after install if you find you have components you don't want it's easy to remove them.

PabloTwo is offline "Registered User" T-Shirt Winner

For Windows anti-virus, I used Avast (free edition) for several years. Over time, Avast grew more and more annoying with it's aggressiveness trying to get you to upgrade to paid solutions. I dumped Avast and moved to BitDefender (free edition). It's anti-virus only, real simple, and no nagging.

Just use MS Defender. It's the lightest weight AV, and I used it for years without issues. Then I purchased an SSD, turned off Secure Boot, and went to linux only. It's amazing how little I miss Windows now.

dd_wizard

I'd avoid McAfee Antivirus Plus. The latest user interface is abhorrent. They've dumbed it down a lot to match W10 and plastered it in animated graphs and slideshows, plus a stupid security 'highlights' and status reports system they've introduced.

Bitdefender is too pared back to be of any use because you cannot exclude any false positives from detection.

Windows Defender prior to W10 was as useless as a chocolate fireguard. The W10 build has a better detection and repair rate but still can't match Kaspersky, Norton, Bitdefender (paid), McAfee detection rates. Avast free and AVG (now same company) also perform better.

With any free antivirus product you are going to get a certain amount of nagging to upgrade. That's part of the trade off of using something you aren't paying for from AV vendors.

Not free, but on windows machines than need antivirus, like the W10 desktop I'm posting from, I use ESET. I used to use just their NOD32 antivirus only, which didn't include any additional bundled programs. I've been using a multi-device licensed Smart Security, I also like their firewall.
    ======
    Doug G
    ======

I've been using bitdefender free version for months now. It's as bare bones as you can get and does it's thing quietly in the background.

Bitdefender is too pared back to be of any use because you cannot exclude any false positives from detection.
    Yeah, you can. I've done it more than once. It's easy.
    HP Notebook | Intel Pentium N3540 Quad-Core CPU - 2.16 GHz | 4 GB DDR3 RAM | 500 GB HDD | Intel HD Graphics | Windows 10

No fate but what we make...
    My Blog: kona0197.wordpress.com

well they must have improved it then because it used to be a dog's dinner. I tried it because I used their paid for version for a number of years. I had a couple of virtual machines running windows that needed some semblance of protection. I tried adding exclusions and found they were actually ignored.

Quote Originally Posted by antikythera
    well they must have improved it then because it used to be a dog's dinner. I tried it because I used their paid for version for a number of years. I had a couple of virtual machines running windows that needed some semblance of protection. I tried adding exclusions and found they were actually ignored.
    I tried Bitdefender; and I must say, it was a lot less aggressive with me than Avast. I've used the free version of Avast in the past; and it was ok; but when I actually decided to pony-up and pay for the premium version; it decided IT was in charge, in almost every way you can think of. Even with a minimum install, it still installed extensions in my browsers, that I could never completely remove. I ended up just disabling them, which was a very unsatisfactory solution. I think Bitdefender may have tried to install a single component; but I was able to block this easily. BTW, it DOES have an exclusion feature; but as you say, these may get ignored. Luckily, I haven't had to interact with this feature yet.

Kaspersky just released a free av version. I've downloaded it for testing but don't have a machine I can install it on right now.
    ======
    Doug G
    ======

yes, and it will have access to the same highly rated detection algorithms and malware database the premium version uses. amusingly someone already complained it doesn't have a sandbox function. you get exactly what you don't pay for...