FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

F26 and AMD Ryzen ... Works!

Today, I upgraded my R&D system. New Motherboard, New CPU, and New Memory.
    Ryzen 5 1600, GigaByte AB350-Gaming 3, and 32G of DD4 RAM. Booted right out of the gate. Can't ask for a nicer build. I had Ubuntu 17.04 on the SSD and the new system would not run it. Tried a fresh install of Ubuntu and got a irq 7 blah blah blah error over and over (other people got this too). So burned a F26 Workstation DVD and it ran just fine. Installed F26-LXDE on the SSD. Came right up after reboot. Fast boot. Then came the problem child... For some reason I couldn't get the Nvidia driver to work.... So reinstalled and got nouveau back. This time I used the latest driver from Nivida and followed instructions found on the web. Worked fine. Up and running. GPu benchmarks say 60fps for furmark and such for the 750 ti.... Good! This is one reason I stay away from Fedora as I have 'hours' of work to get every thing working again. By the time I am settled in, time to upgrade again ,,,, or so it seems! Chased down VLC and it works. Of course I needed LibreOffice and other software that isn't 'auto loaded' like Ubuntu. Even gcc/g++ isn't on the desktop spin.... But I am mostly there now tonight. Will tackle Virtual Box another day....

Just thougt I'd put this out there if someone else was thinking of going to the new AMD chip. F26 does work here.

Re: F26 and AMD Ryzen ... Works!

Quote Originally Posted by rclark
    Just thougt I'd put this out there if someone else was thinking of going to the new AMD chip. F26 does work here.
    Some users are having stability issues under heavy workloads with Ryzen currently. Until that is resolved I would delay shopping for a new CPU.

should be resolved by a microcode update at some point. the custom order Ryzen systems I've built so far have been destined for Windows only usage. Same goes for any brand new hardware from any manufacturer though, I won't recommend a Linux user the components until they are proven and these teething problems ironed out. It's simply not a route I'm willing to go down with my business.

I would agree ... for a business stay away as the Ryzen chips have only been around for a few months. Even the new motherboards are having some teething problems. But, mine is a home computer that I use for my development projects, so I don't mind a glitch here and there when they pop up (none has so far, other than the Ubuntu issue which will work it's way out eventually). I don't plan on overclocking it anytime soon. Writing this on the new Ryzen system.

BTW, I did see the article above before buying the system. Just wanted a 'bleeding' edge system for once to play with . I think I still will get 'useful' work out of it! And any glitches will get fixed over time.

Oh, the system is nice and quiet. The CPU is a lot more energy efficient than the Phenom II X4 that it replaces. Fan just doesn't kick on. BIOS was showing 52C.

The noted problems with Ryzen have been with executing 9 concurrent GCC compiles. I have never done more than two concurrent ones. I had a response from AMD that it is not a mother board problem. That AMD is working diligently on a permanent fix.

The Ryzen problem is a teething one, just as Intel has/had a teething problem with some 'Lake systems. In the meantime, my target for my Ryzen upgrade is on schedule.
    I question if I should go with a 1700 system or a 1600 systems, as you have done. I am in contemplation mode.

Mr Clark, I really thank you for your posting. Do you mind to produce an update after two two weeks of use?
    Leslie in Montreal

Interesting web sites list
    http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showth...40#post1697840

I will plan on giving an updates as this progresses.

I didn't go with the 1700 mainly because it costs ~80 bucks more. The performance from the 1600 with 6 cores and 12 threads is way better than my original phenom processor. I was pretty satisfied with the original, except for VM performance. I am hoping this system will help in that department. Down the road, I can always upgrade the processor if it becomes necessary.

VirtualBox 5.1.26 is up and running. Much much faster than the old system. Seem close to 'native' speed now even with four VMs running . Did have to enable SVM and SMT in the board BIOS for it to work. For some reason they were disabled. So far so good. VMs are running WinXP, WIN7, F24 and F25. Using 20.3G of RAM out of the 32G.
    Last edited by rclark; 11th August 2017 at 04:18 AM.

good to know. yes it's odd that the hardware virtualisation functions are disabled by default but the same applied for my own mainboards from both ASUS and Gigabyte. I can't see how it would hit performance to have them enabled by default even if the user isn't running a VM.

what GPU did you go with when building this system? nevermind re-read your post, the old faithful nvidia

Went through and update cycle/reboot no problem with new kernel (4.12.5-300.fc26.x86_64 #1 SMP) now on-line. No problems (no seg-faults, NVidia continues to work). Haven't shut down the computer since I loaded Fedora, just letting it burn in... so to speak.

VLC has a little problem. Oh, it plays everything ok. But sometimes when you go to load a new video, it locks up. You have to use the kill command to remove the application. I am sure it has nothing to do with Ryzen.
    Firefox has crashed a couple of times now. The one time I was scrolling down while in a youtube page. Just locked and a message popped up saying that it had crashed.
    08/18/17 Today at lunch, F24 VM found running at 100% on one processor. Had to kill the VM, as session was locked up.
    Last edited by rclark; 18th August 2017 at 09:29 PM.

Thanks for the exciting report!

I am really looking forward to the "Raven Ridge" APU (Ryzen + Vega) chip. Because of the opensource amdgpu, all our future computers will be AMD based.

We began using AMD machine since near the end of last year. Our first AMD-based system, AMD FX 8350 + RX 480, works really great--thanks in part to the amdgpu.

Well, bad news .... I am seg faulting all over the place now. I've updated to latest BIOS, etc. and problem exists. Not distro dependent. Seg faults can happen anywhere. Very easy to reproduce. From what I am reading this is a Ryzen CPU problem.... Seems to be getting worse now. Even locks up the computer. Anyway... Not to happy.

Have you tried turning off hyper-threading?

dd_wizard

Well, bad news .... I am seg faulting all over the place now. I've updated to latest BIOS, etc. and problem exists. Not distro dependent. Seg faults can happen anywhere. Very easy to reproduce. From what I am reading this is a Ryzen CPU problem.... Seems to be getting worse now. Even locks up the computer. Anyway... Not to happy.
    Is it with Gnome, or another interface or with an application?
    Leslie in Montreal

Interesting web sites list
    http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showth...40#post1697840

I used LXDE with Fedora. You can see the 'fault's sometimes when the system starts to boot and hangs. If it does run, you see the fault with the applications you pull up. Say firefox, or a terminal, or whatever. The application may just disappear all of a sudden. Or in case of 'dnf', it will not download correctly, get checksum errors or say unable to install 'x' app... Check dmesg and you see the seg fault, core dump, etc... It is frustrating. Let it run long enough now and it hangs (keyboard/mouse freeze up). Have to hit the reset to get going again.

Yes I have disabled SVM and SMT. I think SMT disables the hyper threading. I disabled the speed boost as well, just running straight 3.2Ghz

I am running 'stock'. Not over clocking. The first time I flashed the BIOS, it didn't take. F6 was still being used on reboot (or F7 was corrupted and it reverted back to F6) . Tried again, and this time it 'took'. So running F7 now.

Look a lot like what these guys are seeing:

https://community.amd.com/thread/215...t=960&tstart=0

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast