FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Exclamation PSA - CHANGES TO THE FORUM - suggestions here only please

Over the last few months the forum has been undergoing a transition period due to a change of ownership. We've all been experiencing some connection issues of late and these should now be resolved.

The new owner has invested heavily, purchasing a more powerful server which the site was migrated to in the last 48 hours, acquired licenses for new versions of the host OS, VBulletin, Apache, PHP and SQL. Some of these software upgrades are still undergoing testing and yet to be rolled out.

While the work is being carried out remotely by a contractor on behalf of the owner, within reason you are being offered the chance to suggest any constructive improvements to the user forum backed up by solid reasons.

Such suggestions will be passed to the owner for consideration. Please remember, the site is privately owned and will remain so. There will be no vote for new features or improvements as it isn't a democracy. Any suggestion will be considered on merit, server load impact and of course any associated costs.

https login is now possible (update any saved bookmark to https://fedoraforum.org). vBulletin 3.8.11 is due to be rolled out in place of 3.8.7 Patch Level 4 now the forum is on the new server. vBulletin 4 is the next planned upgrade in testing on the old server. As and when it is deemed ready, it will be rolled out on the new server.

Use the format below to submit any suggestions please. Don't start a discussion on the topic or suggestions here or in any other thread. As and when a suggestion is approved or rejected a member of staff will edit the appropriate post to indicate the status of it. Declined suggestions won't be up for discussion, the decision is that of the owner and final.

Suggestion -
    What it is for -
    What it will improve -

Re: PSA - CHANGES TO THE FORUM - suggestions here only please

Suggestion -
    A mobile accessible version

What it is for -
    Viewing on mobile devices

What it will improve -
    Access for those out and about - people are increasingly accessing the internet via such devices.

Quote Originally Posted by wintonian
    Suggestion -
    A mobile accessible version

What it is for -
    Viewing on mobile devices

What it will improve -
    Access for those out and about - people are increasingly accessing the internet via such devices.
    The forum using Tapatalk plugin. Tapatalk can be downloaded from Play store for Android devices. I am not sure about Apple app store though. I have used Tapatalk in the past and thought it was quite nice.

Is using Tapatalk an option for you?
    Fedora 27 x86_64 XFCE - Sager | Intel Core i7 - 4810 MQ | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 860M | 16 GB RAM | 480 GB ADATA SSD |
    Fedora 27 x86_64 XFCE - Dell Precision M4800 | Intel Core i7 - 4900 MQ | NVIDIA Quadro K1100M | 16 GB RAM | 750 GB 7200 RPM HDD |

The Linux Documentation Project | Fedora Documentation

Posted thread is not being shown in search of new post. It should be repaired.
    For example
    Recently i posted a new thread caja-folder-color. It is not visible when i go to new posts.
    However when i go to forums, it is visible in specific forum.

bob is offline Administrator (yeah, back again)
    Colton, NY; Junction of Heaven & Earth (also Routes 56 & 68).

Kkshethin, New Posts now refers to ones that you haven't already viewed. If you've posted a thread, you fall into that category of having "seen" it already.

For instance, if I open a thread to review it or make a comment on one, it's "gone" once I hit "new posts". I've already "seen" it and it's no longer new.

Might be a flaw to you, but for an aging Admin who's looking at dozens and dozens of threads and then wondering "Did I already check that one?", the new system is a time-saver.
    Linux & Beer - That TOTALLY Computes!
    Registered Linux User #362651

Don't use any of my solutions on working computers or near small children.

Quote Originally Posted by bob
    Kkshethin, New Posts now refers to ones that you haven't already viewed. If you've posted a thread, you fall into that category of having "seen" it already.

For instance, if I open a thread to review it or make a comment on one, it's "gone" once I hit "new posts". I've already "seen" it and it's no longer new.

Might be a flaw to you, but for an aging Admin who's looking at dozens and dozens of threads and then wondering "Did I already check that one?", the new system is a time-saver.
    Is there a thought given to change "New Posts" to "Unread Posts"? I usually use the option to view "today's submissions". That might be useful for a new user to consider.
    Leslie in Montreal

Interesting web sites list
    http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showth...40#post1697840

Quote Originally Posted by lsatenstein
    Is there a thought given to change "New Posts" to "Unread Posts"? I usually use the option to view "today's submissions". That might be useful for a new user to consider.
    Bookmark the link that appears when you are not logged in: https://forums.fedoraforum.org/search.php?do=getdaily

Please don't change new posts to unread posts. They are two different things.

Quote Originally Posted by smr54
    Please don't change new posts to unread posts. They are two different things.
    Completely agree.
    Fedora 27 x86_64 XFCE - Sager | Intel Core i7 - 4810 MQ | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 860M | 16 GB RAM | 480 GB ADATA SSD |
    Fedora 27 x86_64 XFCE - Dell Precision M4800 | Intel Core i7 - 4900 MQ | NVIDIA Quadro K1100M | 16 GB RAM | 750 GB 7200 RPM HDD |

The Linux Documentation Project | Fedora Documentation

[1] Remind me why we don't show avatar in the first place?

[2] Remove the view counts on member profile page

[3] Fix the Time Zone settings - still lists GMT-time no matter what I do...

[4] Redirect fedoraforum.org to forums.fedoraforum.org - fedoraforum.org feels out of touch and lists very few info anyway...

[5] Fix broken / missing emojis

[6] Windows 10 user agents is listed as windows_nt_2000 ???
    Last edited by TruboXL; 23rd September 2017 at 06:08 AM. Reason: more reasons and suggestions
    Laptop Specs
    https://forums.fedoraforum.org/showpost.php?p=1760122&postcount=528

TurboXL, thanks for your suggestions. As to your first one, another Forum was successfully hacked and this is how it was explained:
    It's a fairly easy "hack". You set your forum avatar to a remote site that actually serves up a meta redirect.
    Honestly, our Forum was way overdue for security improvements prior to our new owner, so this was one way to protect the Forum and our members.

And for the rest of the suggestions, we'll be compiling ideas and discussing them so don't be discouraged if you don't see them enacted right away.

Aw heck, we're living in dangerous times, let's live dangerously! Avatars are BACK! Just don't play with them and destroy the world any quicker than we're already doing it.

Aw heck, we're living in dangerous times, let's live dangerously! Avatars are BACK! Just don't play with them and destroy the world any quicker than we're already doing it.
    thanks new owner and the forum team,

the forum feels more alive now...
    Laptop Specs
    https://forums.fedoraforum.org/showpost.php?p=1760122&postcount=528

From Hinduism

A manifestation of a deity or released soul in bodily form on earth; an incarnate divine teacher.

Another idea.

How abou a saying of the day.

Here are a ffew I use

Unused CPU cycles are lost forever.

His reaction is faster than an I/O interrupt

He coded the solution before the problem description left your lips

We get too soon old, and too late smart.

Don't take any wooden nickels.
    Last edited by lsatenstein; 24th September 2017 at 03:52 PM. Reason: Saying of the day/week
    Leslie in Montreal

Interesting web sites list
    http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showth...40#post1697840

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast