FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community

Nvidia 1050 Ti config

A new graphics card, works well except for fan control?
    Old card, Nvidia GTX 750Ti shows up as driving the fan at 33% - temp showing <34C
    New card - fan not turning, cuts out / shuts down @45C.

How to control fan using nvidia-settings please? The GUI seems not to control it.
    Google results seem out of date?
    https://linux.die.net/man/5/xorg.conf shows nothing, I think GPUTargetFanspeed is the param, but I'm not sure.

Re: Nvidia 1050 Ti config

do you mean the system shuts down or the fan isn't rotating when the temp is below 45C? also what is the make and model of the new card? the new cards are much more efficient so it's possible the manufacturer has implemented firmware level fan speed controls to the card you've purchased.

My 960GTX cards in SLI are ASUS STRIX, have a large heatpipe and dual fan setup and have a silent mode which means the fans don't actually come on unless the cards are under very heavy load for any period of time. Even when they do, they aren't audible.

Yes, it's normal that they are stopped till certain temp is reached. I think that one Asus 1050Ti is silent till 55C.
    But if you want to manually control it, the only reasonable way is to use coolbits for Nvidia cards I think.
    As in windows, in enables certain features in nvidia-settings, like oveclocking and the possibility to control the fan speed.
    I tried them maybe a year ago or so and the fan speed control worked on my 960. But I don't know if it can enable specific temp threshold for fan speed on your card. It didn't offer such option for my 960 back then.

Try this thread: https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/t...ut-xorg-conf-/

Quote Originally Posted by antikythera
    do you mean the system shuts down or the fan isn't rotating when the temp is below 45C? also what is the make and model of the new card? the new cards are much more efficient so it's possible the manufacturer has implemented firmware level fan speed controls to the card you've purchased.

My 960GTX cards in SLI are ASUS STRIX, have a large heatpipe and dual fan setup and have a silent mode which means the fans don't actually come on unless the cards are under very heavy load for any period of time. Even when they do, they aren't audible.
    Card shuts down. Screen comes live again after 3 or 4 seconds.

Nvidia 1050Ti, no heatpipes.

Quote Originally Posted by Maryyy
    Yes, it's normal that they are stopped till certain temp is reached. I think that one Asus 1050Ti is silent till 55C.
    But if you want to manually control it, the only reasonable way is to use coolbits for Nvidia cards I think.
    As in windows, in enables certain features in nvidia-settings, like oveclocking and the possibility to control the fan speed.
    I tried them maybe a year ago or so and the fan speed control worked on my 960. But I don't know if it can enable specific temp threshold for fan speed on your card. It didn't offer such option for my 960 back then.

Try this thread: https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/t...ut-xorg-conf-/
    Tks. I'll check it out. I noted the dire warnings about setting coolbits=4.
    I wasn't sure if there is a user local setting. Some suggest creating /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-nvidia.conf,
    i.e. no agreed method!

With Nvidia 750 Ti, the fan is set to 33% and the temp never rises above 32C, so I'll go for that.

/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/nvidia.conf has
    #This file is provided by xorg-x11-drv-nvidia
    #Do not edit
    So (somewhere) there should be a file a user can edit!
    ftp://www.x.org/pub/X11R7.7-RC1/doc/...g.conf.5.xhtml provides some rationale.
    Last edited by DaveP; 30th July 2017 at 07:48 AM. Reason: Addnl info:

Quote Originally Posted by DaveP
    Card shuts down. Screen comes live again after 3 or 4 seconds.

Nvidia 1050Ti, no heatpipes.
    that's not overheating. that's flaky drivers. people have posted about that behaviour numerous times regarding nvidia cards. use the proprietary blobs and it should be eradicated.

https://rpmfusion.org/Howto/NVIDIA?h...tegoryHowto%29