[SOLVED] Few question before upgrade from Fedora 24 to 26
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Iraq
    Posts
    943

    Few question before upgrade from Fedora 24 to 26

    Hi. Time reach for it's end for my Fedora 24 X64. I prepared every thing for upgrade to Fedora 26.

    However, I have few things to ask about:

    1) on my system 32 bits packages which are:

    glibc.i686
    libgcc.i686
    libstdc++.i686
    nss-softokn-freebl.i686
    libxml2.i686
    popt.i686
    xz-libs.i686
    zlib.i686

    I installed them as dependencies for driver of my Canon printer. Later on I removed drivers but these dependencies remain ! I used DNF for both installation (a local rpm drivers packages) & removal.

    So, is their existence on my Fedora risky on upgrade process ? Is is safer to remove them before upgrade or no need for this ?

    2) there is a note that may be need to add --allowerasing to system-upgrade command. How should I type it ? Is it as such:

    sudo dnf system-upgrade download --refresh --allowerasing --releasever=26

    or it should be as such:

    sudo dnf system-upgrade download --refresh --releasever=26 --allowerasing

    Best.
    Fedora 28 X64 bit Cinnamon edition on Lenovo ThinkPad e550 with Intel core i7 5500 CPU @ 2.40 GH X 2, RAM = 8 GB, HHD = 1 TB, Hybrid VGA (Intel Corporation HD Graphic 5500 + Radeon R7 M265 2GB)

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    6,598

    Re: Few question before upgrade from Fedora 24 to 26

    1) yes if possible and they don't start removing any other packages you use.

    2) first option

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Al Ain, UAE
    Posts
    830

    Re: Few question before upgrade from Fedora 24 to 26

    Whoah... You want to skip a version and go from 24 to 26. Historically, that never work so great.

    Therefore, do make a proper backup of all your data before you start!
    --
    Have fun!
    http://www.aeronetworks.ca

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Iraq
    Posts
    943

    Re: Few question before upgrade from Fedora 24 to 26

    Quote Originally Posted by antikythera
    1) yes if possible and they don't start removing any other packages you use.
    O.K But how can I remove them by DNF ? For each of them I have X64 bits corresponding package installed by default on my system. So, do I have to type, for ex,

    sudo dnf remove glibc.i686

    or I have to type the full name of package ? Can you kindly give me example ?

    I'm already installed dnfdragora but not used it at all till now. It make process easer. But you inform me that it is still bugy on Fedora 26 ...
    Fedora 28 X64 bit Cinnamon edition on Lenovo ThinkPad e550 with Intel core i7 5500 CPU @ 2.40 GH X 2, RAM = 8 GB, HHD = 1 TB, Hybrid VGA (Intel Corporation HD Graphic 5500 + Radeon R7 M265 2GB)

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Iraq
    Posts
    943

    Re: Few question before upgrade from Fedora 24 to 26

    I remove them by DNF. Just typed the following:

    sudo dnf remove glibc.i686

    no need to type full version. Just add ".i686" to package name.

    It ask to remove all other packages as NOT NEEDED dependencies with except only one package: "libgcc.i686". So, I gave y & remove them.

    Then I remove libgcc.i686 as following:

    sudo dnf remove libgcc.i686

    it did not ask to remove any other package.

    ---------------------------

    This night I will perform my 1st upgrade in Linux ! If I will succeed, then I need further 2 such succeeded upgrades (from 26 to 28 & from 28 to 30) to make Fedora my trusted distro. for ever !

    I wish to succeed. I wish to stay with Fedora. I love this distro.
    Fedora 28 X64 bit Cinnamon edition on Lenovo ThinkPad e550 with Intel core i7 5500 CPU @ 2.40 GH X 2, RAM = 8 GB, HHD = 1 TB, Hybrid VGA (Intel Corporation HD Graphic 5500 + Radeon R7 M265 2GB)

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    1,895

    Re: Few question before upgrade from Fedora 24 to 26

    Quote Originally Posted by User808
    Hi. Time reach for it's end for my Fedora 24 X64. I prepared every thing for upgrade to Fedora 26.

    However, I have few things to ask about:

    1) on my system 32 bits packages which are:

    glibc.i686
    libgcc.i686
    libstdc++.i686
    nss-softokn-freebl.i686
    libxml2.i686
    popt.i686
    xz-libs.i686
    zlib.i686

    I installed them as dependencies for driver of my Canon printer. Later on I removed drivers but these dependencies remain ! I used DNF for both installation (a local rpm drivers packages) & removal.
    If you installed them yourself, dnf will respect that and mark those as "user installed". As a result of that it will never be removed automatically if nothing else requires it anymore. Usually you don't have to install libraries yourself, and just install the driver. Driver package should automatically pull everything it needs if it has a proper "Requires" set.


    Upgrading Fedora for 2 releases ahead is officially supported, but how well it works depends on third party repositories added.
    Last edited by srakitnican; 29th July 2017 at 07:34 AM.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Iraq
    Posts
    943

    Re: Few question before upgrade from Fedora 24 to 26

    Quote Originally Posted by srakitnican
    If you installed them yourself, dnf will respect that and mark those as "user installed". As a result of that it will never be removed automatically if nothing else requires it anymore. Usually you don't have to install libraries yourself, and just install the driver. Driver package should automatically pull everything it needs if it has a proper "Requires" set.


    Upgrading Fedora for 2 releases ahead is officially supported, but how well it works depends on third party repositories added.
    regarding OS upgrade: I upgraded succesfully from Fedora 24 to Fedora 26 X64 Cinnamon edition in the morning of this day from 1 AM to 9 AM badgdad time (total of 8 hrs). There are minor issues after upgrade:

    - .icon files do not displayed correctly,

    - mouse inversion (make it fit to left handed user) not working ! (practically this is the only issue). I will post a report about this in this sction, please if can you help ....

    Best.
    Last edited by User808; 29th July 2017 at 04:07 PM. Reason: Not related to this thread
    Fedora 28 X64 bit Cinnamon edition on Lenovo ThinkPad e550 with Intel core i7 5500 CPU @ 2.40 GH X 2, RAM = 8 GB, HHD = 1 TB, Hybrid VGA (Intel Corporation HD Graphic 5500 + Radeon R7 M265 2GB)

Similar Threads

  1. Fedora 17: Post-upgrade question
    By 987my in forum Using Fedora
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 1st July 2012, 05:46 PM
  2. Fedora 9 upgrade question
    By raavenous in forum Using Fedora
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 18th April 2008, 03:38 AM
  3. FC4 to FC5 Upgrade question
    By fromans4 in forum EOL (End Of Life) Versions
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 26th March 2006, 01:21 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •