FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community

Wayland progress in Fedora 2017?

I see that I can start a guest vm in virtualbox running rawhide (should work in 26 as well) and have the guest running wayland so at least now I can test it remotely.

I still can't seem to do remote desktop or xdotool like commands in the wayland environment.

Just curious if I am missing a step?

Is there some way to start wayland so that I can vnc into it maybe a special desktop?
    Maybe some way with fullscreen shell?

Or do I need to continue using xorg to support this?

Could I just run xorg under wayland and have my desktop under that so I could use x11vnc or teamviewer to control the same screen remotely?

The reason being is I've hear wayland even with xorg on it still runs without screen tears or glitches or at least that is what they claim. Not that I experienced that issue in xorg enough to complain but I would like to be using wayland.
    Last edited by Jeff Sadowski; 20th July 2017 at 10:21 PM.

Question Re: Wayland progress in Fedora Rawhide 2017?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Sadowski
    Is there some way to start wayland so that I can vnc into it maybe a special desktop?
    Maybe some way with fullscreen shell?
    This (virtually) should work. Since what you have today on GNOME3 on Wayland, you have something like this:

What do you see on this picture is very interesting Wayland implementation of X Client. X Client talks to so-called XWayland, which you see on the left side of the picture as X Server (it is actually called XWayland, where you have Xorg Server + Wayland generic protocol, connecting to Wayland Compositor, in this case Wayland Compositor is Mutter).

For you, you still see Xorg Client and Xorg Server, although beneath Xorg Server there is another, completely new (Wayland) architecture presented.

So, these functions (in best case) should be preserved. Ought to be...

_nobody_