<---- template headericclude ----->
Many DVD recorded on Windows not run on my Fedora ! Please help !
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Many DVD recorded on Windows not run on my Fedora ! Please help !

Hi. I have strange issue: I have many DVDs that I recorded on Windows using Nero. Many of them not run on my Fedora (DVD not opened & I can not see contents or copy/past from DVD) !

The strange thing is that ALL these DVDs that not run on my Fedora, they run & opened very well on Windows !! I tried them on my Fedora using both default build-in DVD rom & an external DVD rom, but in both cases they failed to open !!

On Windows, they are working fine & no evedence that they suffering from any corruption !!

Till now I examine DVDs containing Windows programs that I downloaded & collected from Internet.

Any one face such issue before or know how to solve it ?
    Fedora 38 X64 bit Cinnamon edition on Lenovo ThinkPad e550 with Intel core i7 5500 CPU @ 2.40 GH X 2, RAM = 16 GB DDR3L, HHD = 1 TB (Ext4 file system format), Hybrid (Switchable) VGA: shared "Intel Corporation HD Graphic 5500" + dedicated 2 GB "Radeon R7 M265"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Many DVD recorded on Windows not run on my Fedora ! Please help !

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

that won't help if the disc contains applications downloaded from the internet. libdvdcss is to decode commercial copyright protected films and tv shows.

the only reason I can foresee for such an issue is the discs have not been finalised when burnt by nero.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by topiwala
    Hi. I did not find this package in repositories ! Neither in Fedora nor in RPMFusion repositories !

But my DVDs not encrypted ! I just use "Data DVD" & added programs packages that I obtained from Internet. These DVDs opened normally on Windows ...
    Fedora 38 X64 bit Cinnamon edition on Lenovo ThinkPad e550 with Intel core i7 5500 CPU @ 2.40 GH X 2, RAM = 16 GB DDR3L, HHD = 1 TB (Ext4 file system format), Hybrid (Switchable) VGA: shared "Intel Corporation HD Graphic 5500" + dedicated 2 GB "Radeon R7 M265"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I used to have diisk reading problems in linux. There may be a problem with disks being fixated at the end of the burning process. I've found disks not fixated properly to be unreadable. I can't say anything about M$ programs ... no experience with them. The other problem I have had is with the media itself where my dvdrom drive would not read certain brands of disk but was happy with others. I have no explanation for this but it's happened so many times in the past that I now buy more expensive media and more expensive drives when I upgrade the hardware, and that has eliminated the problem. Don't know if that's of any help to you though.

The libdvdcss package has been made into an rpm by Remi which has been reliable for me over a number of installations now. Just search "libdvdcss" on rpmfind.net and it's there.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

again, this issue has nothing to do with commercially copyrighted discs which libdvdcss decodes for media players.

by program user808 means application not a tv program

@User808 make sure any burnt discs are finalised. for existing discs, open nero, select disc tools and choose finalise disc. for future products make sure finalise is checked in the options when you create the data disc

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by antikythera
    @User808 make sure any burnt discs are finalised. for existing discs, open nero, select disc tools and choose finalise disc. for future products make sure finalise is checked in the options when you create the data disc
    Do you mean by "finalise disc", make it not possible to add new items to it ?? Yes, all these discs I did not select this option. But why? why? Linux (Brasero) effected by this choice ??!!! Very strange !! Windows do not effected ! Most importantly, I made many data discs by Linux (using Brasero) & I did not use this option so as to be able to add new items to them, & they are ALL being opened without problem though they are not finalised !

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

if you don't finalise a disc after writing with Windows and Nero, it cannot be guaranteed to work with any other operating system on the same machine. There's no guarantee it will work on other Windows OS machines either. The page below explains the reasons behind finalising.

http://www.cd-info.com/howto/finalize/

By the way, if you didn't already know, it is possible to blank and re-use a DVD+RW or DVD-RW after finalising.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by antikythera
    if you don't finalise a disc after writing with Windows and Nero, it cannot be guaranteed to work with any other operating system on the same machine. There's no guarantee it will work on other Windows OS machines either. The page below explains the reasons behind finalising.

http://www.cd-info.com/howto/finalize/

By the way, if you didn't already know, it is possible to blank and re-use a DVD+RW or DVD-RW after finalising.
    Many many thanks for this link & such helpful & educational support !!!