FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community

How to remove these from GNOME software center ?

Hi. In the preparation to upgrade my Fedora 24 to 26, I try to polish my Fedora 24 ... In this way, today I discovered something:

1 month ago, I tried to install portable package of ICQ from their official site:

https://icq.com/linux/en

The package installed but not worked, ICQ launched but not connecting. It is specific error for Fedora 24. So, I deleted this portable package.

Today, I opened GNOME software center & viewed "Installed" tab & saw 2 icons for ICQ (see attached screenshot) !!! I tried to click "remove" for them but no thing occurred & they are still existing !!!

How can I remove these ?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	problem.png 
Views:	44 
Size:	64.5 KB 
ID:	27136  
    Fedora 26 X64 bit Cinnamon edition on Lenovo ThinkPad e550 with Intel core i7 5500 CPU @ 2.40 GH X 2, RAM = 8 GB, HHD = 1 TB, Hybrid VGA (Intel Corporation HD Graphic 5500 + Radeon R7 M265 2GB)

Re: How to remove these from GNOME software center ?

https://lists.fedoraproject.org/arch...NG23GC4B6X5GB/

using multiple package managers will lead to this problem.

you could try an rpm database rebuild but I don't know for certain it will make any difference with PackageKit which GNOME Software uses as a back end instead of dnf.

Code:
    sudo rm -f /var/lib/rpm/__db*
    sudo rpm --rebuilddb

Quote Originally Posted by antikythera
    https://lists.fedoraproject.org/arch...NG23GC4B6X5GB/

using multiple package managers will lead to this problem.

you could try an rpm database rebuild but I don't know for certain it will make any difference with PackageKit which GNOME Software uses as a back end instead of dnf.

Code:
    sudo rm -f /var/lib/rpm/__db*
    sudo rpm --rebuilddb
    I did rpm database rebuild few weeks ago, do you remembering: when announced in forum that there is bug in package lead to error & I did such rebuild & later a member said that I was in no need for thst ......

Also, what is relation to link you gave me to this issue?!! Since very long time, I perform system upgrade from tty terminal & never touching GUI for system upgrade & this was long time before installing ICQ package ...
    Fedora 26 X64 bit Cinnamon edition on Lenovo ThinkPad e550 with Intel core i7 5500 CPU @ 2.40 GH X 2, RAM = 8 GB, HHD = 1 TB, Hybrid VGA (Intel Corporation HD Graphic 5500 + Radeon R7 M265 2GB)

because you have duplicated packages in GNOME Software you can't remove because they already don't exist. clearly there are package database issues stemming from using more than one package manager on your system at some point in the past.

I did state rpm rebuild may not make any difference.

Quote Originally Posted by antikythera
    because you have duplicated packages in GNOME Software you can't remove because they already don't exist. clearly there are package database issues stemming from using more than one package manager on your system at some point in the past.

I did state rpm rebuild may not make any difference.
    On Debian GNOME edition, there are BOTH GNOME software center & symantic package manager. And on openSUSE there are both YaSet & GNOME software center (when you select GNOME DE during installation). But in both cases no such problems & errors ! Why only such troubles appear with Fedora ? Repeatedly I asking my self this question ...

Fedora is a development operating system built with development versions of packages closer to upstream than the other operating systems use.

Fedora is not built from proven packages for long term support like Debian and OpenSUSE Leap.

I think Gnome Software is just displaying some leftover .desktop file, if you removed the icq as you said. Not sure how Gnome Software works, or try looking into icq installer readme for clues on how to remove it.

Quote Originally Posted by srakitnican
    I think Gnome Software is just displaying some leftover .desktop file, if you removed the icq as you said. Not sure how Gnome Software works, or try looking into icq installer readme for clues on how to remove it.
    Yes ! You are correct ! I enter home/username/.local/share/applications & saw the 2 ICQ icons. I deleted them, then I opened GNOME software center & they disappeared from it !

Thank you !

----------------------

By the way, what is wrong with our forum in past hrs ? Either unviewable or just after login & trying to post replay it was break ! For that I just marked post as "solved" hrs. before posting this replay. I was straggling to post this replay !