FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
    upload19 Guest

Its brocken my new computer - PLEASE HELP ME!

Hey,

I have booted fedora to my external 80gb hard drive. Now when i go chose to start up fedora instead of windows, it just goes to this black page and the final line says:

Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init!

Then it just stops there and does nothing. whats wrong?

EVEN WORST NOW!!!!!!!!!!!

If i start my external hard drive not on, (i use a laptop, so this is going to be hard to not do if i want to transfer it, thats why i really am ****ed) it just goes to a black page saying

GRUB _

And it just says there, not doing nothing. So i can not get into my windows os.

Please help me if you know what the problem is, or you know how to uninstall fedora from my machine.
    I am using a new latop i bought one week ago, and i can not use it with out my hard drive on.
    Also my external hard drive does not work now, it has no files on and it does not let me put things on it.

If you know please email me at chris@upload19.com or post here. PLEASE

Thanks for your time
    Chris

Try to reinstall GRUB:
    Boot from the 1st CD and at the prompt, type: linux rescue
    At the sh prompt type chroot /mnt/sysimage and after that grub-install /dev/hda

ramped Guest
    yeh, grub has been installed to your external HDs boot sector instead of the MBR on the internal drive. another option if you want to remove FC and just boot to windows if you have 2000/XP is to boot from the install cd and go to recovery console and type 'fixboot' and 'fixmbr'

upload19 Guest
    Ok thanks for the advice, but..

Whats the sh prompt, and after tpying chroot/mnt/sysimage where do i type grub-intall/dev/hda

And doing that, will GRUB be installed on my laptop not my external hardrive. or do i need to do anything else.

Also, with my external hard drive, is that total ****ed, or can i get rid of fedora from it?

Thanks
    Chris

After you boot from 1st CD and typed "linux rescue", you have to answer to a few easy questions like your keyboard settings etc. After that you get something like "sh-3.00#" and that is the place you have to type the rest commands. Typing grub-install /dev/hda will install GRUB at the MBR of the 1st disk on your laptop. This is the recommended place to install GRUB.
    If you want to get rid of the Fedora installation, follow ramped's instructions, boot to the Windows installation, and take care Fedora's partitions from there.
    Last edited by mcg; 9th January 2005 at 06:25 PM.

upload19 Guest
    ok,

you mean the rest coommands as: chroot/mnt/sysimage or grub-intall/dev/hda

I want to remove fedora, so were is recovery console in the boot menu, and when do i type 'fixboot' and 'fixmbr'

Thanks
    Chris

Boot from the Windows CD and choose "repair installation" or something like that.

upload19 Guest
    With my laptop i did not come with a windows cd, so i can not do that, so..

you mean the rest coommands as: chroot/mnt/sysimage or grub-intall/dev/hda

upload19 Guest
    hey mcg,

when i type grub-install/dev/hda in the sh-3.00# command, the next line says:

No such file or directory

So what do i do now? ANYBODY?

There's a space after the command and before the parameters. The commands are:
    Code:
    chroot   /mnt/sysimage
    grub-install   /dev/hda

upload19 Guest
    Ok, i have made spaces to that, but when i type:

grub-install /dev/hda

The next line says not file know, /dev/hda does not exsit? what shall i do know, is there a problem with the code.

Thanks
    Chris

We'll need the exact error message in order to determine what the problem is.