FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Re: acroread does not open in F26

thanks wayne, threads merged. please refer to post #16 where there is a workaround for this problem

Heres what bugs me. I do have it working on a old dell desktop. I did nothing special to make it work. I just installed it and let it pull down whatever deps it needed and it just worked like it did in fedora 25. Then did the same thing on my laptop and Im having same problem you guys are. Ive spent a lot of time trying to figure out why it works on one but doesnt on the other but nothing yet... Logs dont say anything worth while.

Quote Originally Posted by nvwarr

I managed to get acroread working on Fedora 26, but it was a bit tricky.
    I tried this but I get a segmentation fault when running acroread. However, I don't have a Fedora 25 installation to copy the libraries from so I got them from various packages from rpmfind.

Can you tell me what version of the libraries works for you?

Quote Originally Posted by goanga
    I tried this but I get a segmentation fault when running acroread. However, I don't have a Fedora 25 installation to copy the libraries from so I got them from various packages from rpmfind.

Can you tell me what version of the libraries works for you?
    I used the following F25 RPMs from this official Fedora mirror site: https://mirror.umd.edu/fedora/linux/...6/os/Packages/
    1. glibc-2.24-3.fc25.i686
    2. libblkid-2.28.2-1.fc25.i686
    3. libmount-2.28.2-1.fc25.i686
    4. libuuid-2.28.2-1.fc25.i686

Those are all from the initial F25 release, so they are all compatible with each other.

One thing that might help is to not actually install those packages, but just copy the individual libraries you need. I used rpm2cpio and cpio (as root) to do that, by extracting the contents of the RPMs into a temporary directory and then copying only what I needed:
    Code:
    mkdir f25stuff

cd f25stuff

wget https://mirror.umd.edu/fedora/linux/releases/25/Everything/i386/os/Packages/g/glibc-2.24-3.fc25.i686.rpm

rpm2cpio glibc-2.24-3.fc25.i686.rpm | cpio -ivd

cd lib

cp ld-linux.so.2 libc.so.6 libdl.so.2 libpthread.so.0 /opt/Adobe/Reader9/Reader/intellinux/lib
    Do the same for the other RPMs and libraries. I didn't need libexpat.so.1, but if you do then use expat-2.2.0-1.fc25.i686.
    OS: Fedora 27 x86_64 | Machine: HP Pavilion a6130n | CPU: AMD 64 X2 Dual-Core 5000+ 2.6GHz | RAM: 7GB PC5300 DDR2 | Disk: 400GB SATA | Video: ATI Radeon HD 4350 512MB | Sound: Realtek ALC888S | Ethernet: Realtek RTL8201N

Brilliant, it worked!

Thank you for the detailed info, I think I probably mixed and matched those libraries initially, but now it works. Thanks again!

Anyone who has already extracted these libraries want to tar them up and put them up somewhere for the rest of us who are too lazy

Quote Originally Posted by jaybot
    Anyone who has already extracted these libraries want to tar them up and put them up somewhere for the rest of us who are too lazy
    and with detailed instructions, please

better still, could you pop round and install it please?

joking of course

Dear all,

The solution is working nicely and I am able to display pdf files with acroread again under F26.

There seems to be an issue though for printing. When trying to print, the printers available are not recognised at all and the Print menu shows a "custom" entry that can't be changed.

Any idea how to get around this? Should a cups library from f25 be added in addition to the other ones? Any help would be appreciated.

All the best,

Patrick
    Last edited by patrickg; 28th July 2017 at 12:50 PM.

Re: acroread does nothing

Quote Originally Posted by pitonyak
    After upgrading from FC25 to FC26, acrobat reader does nothing, it simply returns.

More specifically, acroread is a shell script that sets the environment and eventually calls

exec /opt/Adobe/Reader9/Reader/intellinux/bin/acroread something.pdf

This prints no errors and it simply returns. Running the command directly is no good because it does some environment setup.

reader was installed using:

Code:
    dnf install AdbeRdr9.5.5-1_i486linux_enu.rpm

So, has anyone managed to run acrobat reader on fedora 26?
    If you had bothered to READ the very same thread you posted this message in, you would have realized the answer to your question is YES... Look at post #16 above... It has A solution, and that solution has been verified to work (look a few posts down in the thread for that verification)

Now, I don't know if this is the only solution, the best solution, or no solution at all, since I haven't used the Adobe reader in years, but I will say that if RupertPupkin above states that it works, then it works.. Nuff said
    Why is it that all of the instruments seeking intelligent life in the universe are pointed away from Earth?

Hello,

Post #16 does not say anything about printing document, I am afraid.

Patrick

Quote Originally Posted by patrickg
    When trying to print, the printers available are not recognised at all and the Print menu shows a "custom" entry that can't be changed.
    I noticed that, but it didn't affect my ability to print. To the right of that "Custom ..." picklist is a textfield for your print command. On my F26 system it's set to "lp", which prints to the default printer (called "laserjet" on my F26 system). To print to a different printer, just modify the lp command. For example, to print to a printer called "laserjet2", the command would be "lp -d laserjet2":

Obviously this isn't an optimal way of printing, but it works (at least for me).

I tried the same trick of installing some CUPS library from F25 into the same location mentioned by nvwarr, didn't help. There's no telling how many libraries you'd have to try (e.g. avahi, dbus). I figured it wasn't worth it, since basic printing still works. But I would still like to find out what caused the original problem to begin with. It's possible it could be an issue with packages compiled with GCC 7. Maybe when I get more time I'll look into it.
    OS: Fedora 27 x86_64 | Machine: HP Pavilion a6130n | CPU: AMD 64 X2 Dual-Core 5000+ 2.6GHz | RAM: 7GB PC5300 DDR2 | Disk: 400GB SATA | Video: ATI Radeon HD 4350 512MB | Sound: Realtek ALC888S | Ethernet: Realtek RTL8201N

Thank you for your answer.

I had noticed that the lp -d/lpr -P commands specifying the printer were working but it would be nice to have the menu driven options available such as duplex printing, media type and source (even these options can also be set up as options on the command line).

Let me know if you figure out a work around with the f25 libs.

Regards,

Patrick

I fetched these RPMs
    Code:
    wget https://mirror.umd.edu/fedora/linux/releases/25/Everything/i386/os/Packages/g/glibc-2.24-3.fc25.i686.rpm
    wget https://mirror.umd.edu/fedora/linux/releases/25/Everything/i386/os/Packages/l/libblkid-2.28.2-1.fc25.i686.rpm
    wget https://mirror.umd.edu/fedora/linux/releases/25/Everything/i386/os/Packages/l/libmount-2.28.2-1.fc25.i686.rpm
    wget https://mirror.umd.edu/fedora/linux/releases/25/Everything/i386/os/Packages/l/libuuid-2.28.2-1.fc25.i686.rpm
    wget https://mirror.umd.edu/fedora/linux/releases/25/Everything/i386/os/Packages/e/expat-2.2.0-1.fc25.i686.rpm
    The I extracted them and I added these libraries to /opt/Adobe/Reader9/Reader/intellinux/lib/

Code:
    ld-linux.so.2
    libblkid.so.1
    libc.so.6
    libdl.so.2
    libexpat.so.1
    libmount.so.1
    libpthread.so.0
    libuuid.so.1
    But I get: "error while loading shared libraries invalid mode for dlopen(): Invalid argument".

Any advice?

Thanks

UPDATE: never mind, I didn't notice step 2 in post 16.
    2) Edit /opt/Adobe/Reader9/bin/acroread on the Fedora 26 system, changing the line:

exec ${1+"$@"}

to
    exec /opt/Adobe/Reader9/Reader/intellinux/lib/ld-linux.so.2 ${1+"$@"}
    After that it works.
    Last edited by nutznboltz; 3rd August 2017 at 11:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by nutznboltz
    I get: "error while loading shared libraries invalid mode for dlopen(): Invalid argument".

Any advice?
    Did you edit the acroread script as in Step 2 in post #16?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast