FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Re: acroread does not open in F26

The if-not-true-then-false link is the standard way to install acroread on Fedora up to version 25. It does NOT work on Fedora 26. I usually use evince, but there are some things (usually official forms, that I have to fill out as part of my job), where acroread is needed. So it is a showstopper for me, but...

I managed to get acroread working on Fedora 26, but it was a bit tricky.

1) Copy the 32-bit shared libraries /lib/ld-linux.so.2 /lib/libblkid.so.1 /lib/libc.so.6 /lib/libdl.so.2 /lib/libexpat.so.1 /lib/libmount.so.1 /lib/libpthread.so.0 /lib/libuuid.so.1 from a Fedora 25 with a working acroread into the /opt/Adobe/Reader9/Reader/intellinux/lib directory of the Fedora 26 system.

2) Edit /opt/Adobe/Reader9/bin/acroread on the Fedora 26 system, changing the line:

exec ${1+"$@"}

to
    exec /opt/Adobe/Reader9/Reader/intellinux/lib/ld-linux.so.2 ${1+"$@"}

3) Copying the .adobe directory from my home on the Fedora 25 system to the Fedora 26 one. Without this step it started but gave the message "Unable to initialize user interface".

4) Install libxml2.i686 gdk-pixbuf2-xlib.i686 gtk.i686

I note that installing gtk-murrine-engine.i686 and adwaita-gtk2-theme.i686 gets rid of a whole load of warnings, but doesn't seem to be necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne
    not for fedora 26, even with the listed dependencies installed it won't launch.

not sure about evince, it may work for forms but i've never tried that package. for that matter libreoffice draw should suffice as you can edit a pdf document with it and output back to pdf

The evince PDF viewer supports form completion does it not?
    The current evince in f26 that I have looks like it can add annotations and do highlighting rather than add actual text to the pdf which is fill in. However, xournal can add text the pdf and output a new pdf with that text in place.

So I have two machines running fedora 26 and both were installed identical. On the desktop adobe reader works just fine. On the laptop it does not. On both machines they throw those warning messages about the modules missing because they are in the lib64 directory so thats not the issue. Im pretty sure I know what it is now so when I get back to my laptop ill run some tests and if I get it working ill report back here the fix.

Instead of using form completion, I simply use Xournal and write wherever I want on a PDF.
    --
    Have fun!
    http://www.aeronetworks.ca

Quote Originally Posted by nvwarr
    I managed to get acroread working on Fedora 26, but it was a bit tricky.

1) Copy the 32-bit shared libraries /lib/ld-linux.so.2 /lib/libblkid.so.1 /lib/libc.so.6 /lib/libdl.so.2 /lib/libexpat.so.1 /lib/libmount.so.1 /lib/libpthread.so.0 /lib/libuuid.so.1 from a Fedora 25 with a working acroread into the /opt/Adobe/Reader9/Reader/intellinux/lib directory of the Fedora 26 system.

2) Edit /opt/Adobe/Reader9/bin/acroread on the Fedora 26 system, changing the line:

exec ${1+"$@"}

to
    exec /opt/Adobe/Reader9/Reader/intellinux/lib/ld-linux.so.2 ${1+"$@"}
    This worked!! Woohoo!

I needed only the first 2 steps in your solution to get Acrobat Reader working in F26 on my machine at work. In fact, in step 2 I didn't even need the libexpat.so.1 library.

Now that there's a solution (how did you come up with it, by the way?) I'll be able to upgrade to F26 on my home machine. This had been a showstopper for me, so I'm grateful for the solution. If you're ever in Detroit I'll treat you to a coney dog and a bottle of Vernors.

Welcome to the Fedora Forums, by the way! Your first post and you solved what for many would be a major problem. You could never post again and retire "undefeated" from the forums.
    OS: Fedora 27 x86_64 | Machine: HP Pavilion a6130n | CPU: AMD 64 X2 Dual-Core 5000+ 2.6GHz | RAM: 7GB PC5300 DDR2 | Disk: 400GB SATA | Video: ATI Radeon HD 4350 512MB | Sound: Realtek ALC888S | Ethernet: Realtek RTL8201N

Switch to Mate! I did all my 2016 tax forms in the Mate pdf viewer, Atril. I'm surprised Evince doesn't work.

dd_wizard

Hi
    Thank you a thousand times and more!! I also only did the first two steps with success.

Tak

There appears to be major confusion and misinformation about what PDF forms are and what they are used for. They exist to collect information from users and allow them to upload it to a server using an email link embedded in the form. Simply drawing text on top of the pdf graphics with a drawing tool is meaningless. Pdf forms are not about editing a pdf. They are about information capture and upload.

http://www.uwec.edu/help/acrobat9/for-submit.htm

for that matter libreoffice draw should suffice as you can edit a pdf document with it and output back to pdf
    However, xournal can add text the pdf and output a new pdf with that text in place.
    Instead of using form completion, I simply use Xournal and write wherever I want on a PDF.
    And how would writing text on top of a pdf graphic allow that text to be uploaded by email to the address embedded in the form ? Would pressing the 'Submit' or 'Send' button in 'Xournal' upload the data ? Adobe Reader would upload data if the Submit button was pressed.

Linux users who need Adobe Reader may need this actual upload capability.

Simply drawing text on top of the pdf graphics with a drawing tool is meaningless.
    And how would writing text on top of a pdf graphic allow that text to be uploaded by email to the address embedded in the form ?
    Oh well, I guess it all depends on one's needs and one's familiarity with the programs and one's level of competence with the operating system and one's attitude to particular companies and perhaps one's commitments to free open source. As it happens, on occasion, it's possible to solve a problem by using xournal to insert text into a pdf, export that to a new pdf and then send it as an email attachment which is what the recipient wants to see in this case. That's a level of functioning with open source programs that works, however clunky, but may satisfy certain needs that closed source can't.

Quote Originally Posted by amiga
    There appears to be major confusion and misinformation about what PDF forms are and what they are used for.
    Indeed. I'm glad you explained why so many of us still need Acrobat Reader, and why the (well-intentioned) suggestions to "just use <whatever> instead" weren't sufficient.

I still would like to find out exactly what changed in F26 to cause the problem, but nvwarr's solution works so well that I'm satisfied for now.
    OS: Fedora 27 x86_64 | Machine: HP Pavilion a6130n | CPU: AMD 64 X2 Dual-Core 5000+ 2.6GHz | RAM: 7GB PC5300 DDR2 | Disk: 400GB SATA | Video: ATI Radeon HD 4350 512MB | Sound: Realtek ALC888S | Ethernet: Realtek RTL8201N

acroread does nothing

After upgrading from FC25 to FC26, acrobat reader does nothing, it simply returns.

More specifically, acroread is a shell script that sets the environment and eventually calls

exec /opt/Adobe/Reader9/Reader/intellinux/bin/acroread something.pdf

This prints no errors and it simply returns. Running the command directly is no good because it does some environment setup.

reader was installed using:

Code:
    dnf install AdbeRdr9.5.5-1_i486linux_enu.rpm

So, has anyone managed to run acrobat reader on fedora 26?

Re: acroread does nothing

It sounds like an excellent security feature...

I'm only partially jesting - it may be SELinux that is preventing acroread from working.
    --
    Have fun!
    http://www.aeronetworks.ca

Excellent suggestion that had not occurred to me. It was enforcing, so I set it to permissive, started tracing the log... it failed to start (as before), did not generate any messages to the log. It should have worked if the problem was selinux.

It might be related to the updated gcc libraries, but that is a total guess based on little.

I used to miss my wife but then my aim improved.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast