RedMonk versus Tiobe
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community

RedMonk versus Tiobe

Hi.
    There are two different indexes of popularity of programming languages: Tiobe and RedMonk. They provide different results. What is the better?

Re: RedMonk versus Tiobe

Tiobe is better. RedMonk just looks at GitHub and StackOverflow statistics, whereas Tiobe takes much more into account.
    OS: Fedora 28 x86_64 | Machine: HP Pavilion a6130n | CPU: AMD 64 X2 Dual-Core 5000+ 2.6GHz | RAM: 7GB PC5300 DDR2 | Disk: 400GB SATA | Video: ATI Radeon HD 4350 512MB | Sound: Realtek ALC888S | Ethernet: Realtek RTL8201N

Quote Originally Posted by RupertPupkin
    Tiobe is better. RedMonk just looks at GitHub and StackOverflow statistics, whereas Tiobe takes much more into account.
    More into account does not necessarily translate to better. The Tiobe takes "buzz" into account, but "buzz" does not translate into anything important. Just doing a search on a language just means maybe there has been talk about it and maybe lots of online googling it, etc. Redmonk is focused on commits (i.e. developers developing in a language) and questions about doing things in a language. Now I don't know which one is more meaninful, and I don't know which is correct for each language but during the investigation into rust (which I am not sure of)... I have found significant community involvement, significant building libraries for this newish language. A lot of actual doing, a lot of interest etc. Tiobe has had it 0.53% in December/2017 (43rd) and then in March of this year less than 0.16% and out of the top 50 - yet the activity seems to be increasing -- not decreasing. There is obviously something seriously wrong with the methodology, if the index is suppose to guage it's current position or it's future.

Quote Originally Posted by tangent144
    Hi.
    There are two different indexes of popularity of programming languages: Tiobe and RedMonk. They provide different results. What is the better?
    It does depend on "better for what". What decision are you going to make based on this information ?

A lot of questions on StackOverflow might indicate that it was popular, or that it was difficult or confusing to use.
    A lot of commits on github would not be surprising for a new language like Rust as they will be busy reinventing wheels that other languages have had for ages.

User error. Please replace user and try again

I don't want do any deciision. It's only curiosity.

Quote Originally Posted by tangent144
    I don't want do any deciision. It's only curiosity.
    My gut says (without proper scientific backing) that Redmonk would favour leading edge indicators - what is currently and what is most likely drawing interest from people looking forward (non-legacy development).

Tiobe would be better at ranking the top 10ish languages.