<---- template headericclude ----->
This is why you should not buy Asus ! - Page 2
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: This is why you should not buy Asus !

Quote Originally Posted by didierg
    This is why you should not buy Asus !
    ASUS unofficially has better Linux kernel support. The message is just political due to the company position.
    Their laptops work out of box majority of time. Only issues was the change in the BIOS affecting hotkey that was resolved by the kernel team with the participation of the users.
    Desktop CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - Memory: 64GB DDR4-RAM - GPU: Sapphire Nitro+ Pure Radeon RX 6950XT 16GB Storage: Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1 GB NVMe, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB NVMe and NAS WD 7200 RPM 4TB for backup - OS: Fedora 38 Design Suite x86-64 and Windows 11 64-bit
    Laptop Dell Inspiron 14 7425 2-in-1 - APU: AMD Ryzen 7 5825U - Memory: 32GB DDR4-RAM - Storage: Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB NVMe - OS: Fedora 38 Design Suite x86-64

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1 - asus linux compatibility is extremely good.

2 - why in gods name would you write to ASUS about a problem with a kernel update?????

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just to show you how companies throw any non-windows systems under the bus...

A few years back, I was trying to get a DSL connection working on a Unix box... Called AT&T customer support to ask a simple question of the address for their site to set up a new account.

Answer... They don't support Unix..

My Response... You mean you don't support an OS that you wrote?

The answer I got was priceless..

Anyway, the question I was asking, it made no difference what OS the machine was running. I just needed a website address...

Bottom line.. Companies customer support sucks.. If it's not in their pre-written script they have to follow, then they can't help you.
    Why is it that all of the instruments seeking intelligent life in the universe are pointed away from Earth?

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

1st level customer support aren't trained technicians and work from very strict scripts. they are paid peanuts and cannot spend time researching or learning how to support people using anything other than what they have written in front of them. if they did, they wouldn't meet their maximum call time targets and get the sack. they will be replaced by automated machines in the near future that don't need rest breaks or time off work. much like those virtual support agents you get on many websites now. 9/10 it's not actually a person asking if you need any assistance when browsing products on retail sites.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DBelton
    Bottom line.. Companies customer support sucks..
    Is it just me or is customer service getting worse and worse as time goes on? It's as if the quest for cost savings is the only way senior management know how to increase profits these days. Amazon's a good example, they used to be excellent, but ever since they brought in the Amzon Flex delivery thing where the delivery people are in the gig economy it's been terrible and trying to rectify anything through their customer service lines is a complete joke.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Read my response #15 above. Yes Haydn, you are right about customer service.

I have to laugh when the BB response to any question is Geek-Squad.
    Leslie in Montreal

Interesting web sites list
    http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showth...40#post1697840
    We get too soon old, and too late smart!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When I think of ASUS, i think of gaming. ASUS seems to have one of the most well designed gaming laptops as far as cooling is concerned (according to ppl who open up and fix laptops for a living).

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I'm one of those people among other services.

They may well do now with ROG branded products, 10 years ago when they didn't exist it was not the case. Their F and K series notebook chassis marketed as entertainment and gaming notebooks suffered from heat cycle stress cracks above discrete GPU chips (either ATI or NVIDIA) starting from just under the top right of the keyboard tray, eventually tracking out to the edge. Clearly the heatpipe wasn't working efficiently enough and the problem was addressed in later models.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

asus is good and all but their touchpads...
    https://github,com/truboxl

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I loath touchpads in general and use a cordless Logitech M570 predominantly. Asus ones aren't great but then nor are many others. HP notebooks seem to have decent touchpads. Before that I had the M570's predecessor a USB corded Trackman Wheel. I still don't use the two new buttons on the M570, the only reason I got it was because the button switches in the Trackman finally died after a decade of use.

I was concerned about wireless lag and range but need not have been, the Logitech unified receiver has a very strong signal range.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He would get the same answer from every other hardware vendor ...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He would get the same answer from every other hardware vendor ...
    Gap in the market, and considering how competitive the hardware industry is, I'm surprised no ones filled it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tryfedoraa
    Gap in the market, and considering how competitive the hardware industry is, I'm surprised no ones filled it.
    I agree, well thought ...

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

well they try to but the OEMs crowd them out through aggressive marketing and search engine optimisation. there are several smaller OEM producing and supporting linux notebooks and desktops around the world.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by antikythera
    I loath touchpads in general and use a cordless Logitech M570 predominantly. Asus ones aren't great but then nor are many others. HP notebooks seem to have decent touchpads. Before that I had the M570's predecessor a USB corded Trackman Wheel. I still don't use the two new buttons on the M570, the only reason I got it was because the button switches in the Trackman finally died after a decade of use.

I was concerned about wireless lag and range but need not have been, the Logitech unified receiver has a very strong signal range.
    That is the same exact trackball I use, and am very happy with. I finally had to replace my old Logitech wired trackball, and the M570 was the only one I found that was designed the same way the old one was. Wish I could have found a wired version, though. I hate wireless...

Only complaint I have about the M570 is the cheap switches in the buttons. It didn't take long until I started getting random double clicks when I clicked only once... opened it up, cleaned the switches, and that fixed it for a little while, but when it started doing it again, a cleaning didn't help Oh well, I guess 7 years of use out of a trackball is pretty good nowadays.
    Why is it that all of the instruments seeking intelligent life in the universe are pointed away from Earth?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast