FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community

Got my first server need help.

I got a used dell power server R710 2.5 version. I also own a dell 42u server rack. It came with server racks. They fit on it. The issue is, I don't have everything to mount it. I posted pics because, I really don't know were to even look or what they are called. Thanks

Images http://imgur.com/a/Do8mM

Re: Got my first server need help.

Google "server rack mounting hardware" and you'll find more vendors than you need. Also, check out supermicro.com for hardware that goes in the racks.

dd_wizard

Alright I'll check that out thanks

You own a server rack and a server, correct? The easy thing to do is buy Gruber rails, then you can slide the server on top of it.
    More commonly you get a set a rails, part of which goes onto the server, and part of which goes into the rack. You then slide the server into the rack.

I dislike videos, but am too lazy to look further. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8gTTFiOh84

Google something like dell rails for R710 and that should get you things. Or if you have a friend who works in a data center ask them. You also want to think about power and ventilation, but if you're just going to have one or two servers in a rack, that's probably not too important.

A link to Gruber rails so you can get an idea. They screw into the mounting rack and have lips that hold the server.

If it's Dell then I'd stick to Dell rails, I think they attach to the servers without screws.

I am watching the video now. Thanks for posting this. One more thing though, how is fedora server? I am using this machine for virtualisation and testing programs.

Ah, forgot the link to gruber rails. http://www.gruber.com/rack-rails-4-post-adjustable-1u

While Fedora can be used as a server, it has a relatively short life span, most people wanting a RedHat based server use CentOS.

These days, it's probably stable enough while the version you run is supported, but it's generally considered a development platform for RedHat. Therefore, things are often put in before they're really ready for prime time so that Fedora user community can test and troubleshoot.

Alright thanks I'll get cent os or redhat then.

I think it's a better choice. While many can and do use Fedora as a server, CentOS puts more emphasis on staying stable and not breaking things with updates.

You also might want to look at the CentOS virtualization special interest group. You can download their repo add-on and access later versions of the qemu software than what is currently running on the core CentOS 7 system which provides some nice features for snapshots and migration of VMs. If you've picked up one R710, you may as well pick up a second and have some redundancy for upgrades and hardware failures.