FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community

My Laptop always boots to Windows instead of giving an OS option

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone can help me get Fedora to dual boot please. I have been a Fedora user since 2013, however this is the first time I've used it on a laptop that also runs windows.
    As you will see by my profile I've been here since 2013 and this is the first question I have ever asked. I prefer to find solutions myself but this time I'm stumped. It's probably glaringly obvious but I could do with help from a more experienced user please.

I have installed Fedora workstation 25 to my laptop drive on its own partition. When i restart my laptop it always runs Windows 10 except when I go to advanced restart. When I do this I'm able to choose to run Fedora and everything works really well.

There just isn't any way I can choose which OS without first running Windows and then doing an advanced restart.

If anyone has any ideas how to solve this or can lead me in the right direction it would be much appreciated.

Thank you

Chris

Re: My Laptop always boots to Windows instead of giving an OS option

For whatever reason you don't have a grub boot menu appearing when you turn the notebook on. check if your notebook is set to boot in uefi mode. It probably is. in W10 hold down start+R together and type in msinfo32.exe. then press enter

locate the BIOS mode line. if it says uefi, then you may want to try refind

PabloTwo is offline "Registered User" T-Shirt Winner

You might want to mention which make/model of laptop you have. It could simply be that your UEFI firmware has W10 as the first in boot order. Once you have Fedora booted up, in a command terminal enter the efibootmgr command. One of the items shown will be "BootOrder:", which shows boot order. Please post the full output of the efibootmgr command.

The efibootmgr program is capable of changing the boot order, but if you happen to have one of certain HP model laptops, like mine, the HP UEFI firmware will always make the W10 entry the first in the boot order on each start up. If that's the case with you, there is a way around this.

Quote Originally Posted by PabloTwo
    You might want to mention which make/model of laptop you have. It could simply be that your UEFI firmware has W10 as the first in boot order. Once you have Fedora booted up, in a command terminal enter the efibootmgr command. One of the items shown will be "BootOrder:", which shows boot order. Please post the full output of the efibootmgr command.

The efibootmgr program is capable of changing the boot order, but if you happen to have one of certain HP model laptops, like mine, the HP UEFI firmware will always make the W10 entry the first in the boot order on each start up. If that's the case with you, there is a way around this.
    Hi PabloTwo, thank you for your help. Great guess, I have a HP laptop using UEFI firmware. I had just got my issue resolved before rechecking the forum here. I basically changed to legacy boot which gives me a boot option on startup. So issue solved.

Thank you again, it's much appreciated

---------- Post added at 09:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:13 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by antikythera
    For whatever reason you don't have a grub boot menu appearing when you turn the notebook on. check if your notebook is set to boot in uefi mode. It probably is. in W10 hold down start+R together and type in msinfo32.exe. then press enter

locate the BIOS mode line. if it says uefi, then you may want to try refind
    Thank you antikythera, I managed to get my issue solved shortly before coming back to the forum here. I can't believe it was was such an obvious solution after searching everywhere. Still I live and learn.

Thank you for your help it's really valued

no problem, if you install any more operating systems alongside those two in future, refind would come into it's own.

Quote Originally Posted by antikythera
    no problem, if you install any more operating systems alongside those two in future, refind would come into it's own.
    Thank you, I don't plan at present to install any other Operating Systems but have made a note of the url as it looks like a really practical tool. Great share