<---- template headericclude ----->
Android Tablets
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Android Tablets

Anyone know of a reasonable current Android Tablet from actual experience not just a magazine write up, preferably with 1280x720 or above resolution and qualcomm hardware (absolute maximum 10.1" screen)? It doesn't have to run Nougat but Lollipop would be good.

I've used a Lenovo Tab 2 A10-30 and found it tediously slow. You'd expect those performance levels from a £50 generic tablet with half as much RAM and CPU power.

I'm not really interested in the Amazon Fire HD line up either, I need something that will connect to Chromecast and the NAS without having to root and sideload Play Store.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Re: Android Tablets

I ended up ordering a 16GB Acer Iconia One 7 (B1-780) in the end running Lollipop. There's a newer B1-790 but since there's no apparent difference on paper I chose the slightly cheaper older model.

All these android tablets seem to have the same middling level of performance whether they use qualcomm or mediatek components after trying them in the shops. Tablet development seems to have just stagnated for the last 4 years. The same seems to apply for pretty much all of them regardless of price. I tried 'Pro' models and premium models with built in projectors as well as budget end models. So I settled on something that seems to be well built and reasonably okay.

hiGuys Guest

Quote Originally Posted by antikythera
    All these android tablets seem to have the same middling level of performance whether they use qualcomm or mediatek components after trying them in the shops. Tablet development seems to have just stagnated for the last 4 years. The same seems to apply for pretty much all of them regardless of price. I tried 'Pro' models and premium models with built in projectors as well as budget end models. So I settled on something that seems to be well built and reasonably okay.
    I've given up on tablets for this reason. They all suck and it seems they always will. I'm still waiting for someone to release a preinstalled *nix tablet. I would try to put a linux such as Fedora or Ubuntu etc on a tablet if I could find one that survives long enough for me to figure out which process actually works. Usually my tablets end up bricked before I even get started. Maybe I just have bad luck with tablets...

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

from what i've read, it's nigh on impossible to replace android on a tablet with linux. you can install it alongside and chroot into it but not wipe android and flash a linux rom instead.

chromebooks will run linux more readily and are easier to control because of the keyboard. there isn't a single OS out there really optimised for touch. Ubuntu's plans for touch interface have been abandoned by canonical.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I use an Ellipsis 8 tablet. Verizon carries them. Octa-core processor and plenty of storage along with a 10 inch screen. Running Marshmallow. Never had any issues with it.
    HP AIO | Dual Core Intel 11th Gen Core I3 - 3 GHz | 8 GB DDR4 RAM | 256 GB SSD | Intel HD Graphics | Windows 10

No fate but what we make...
    My Blog: kona0197.wordpress.com

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm looking at a Huawei 8.4" MediaPad M3 right now with 4Gb RAM and 32Gb storage. It's the LTE model with a SIM slot and micro SD slot. I believe they also have a 10" model. I have given up on Asus for a couple of reasons.
    There is no such thing as "the cloud," it's just somebody else's computer!

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

that's a nice tablet Wayne. I didn't want to spend too much because kids being kids it will undoubtedly end up being bashed about. we have the vodafone brand instead of verizon but they are the same company.

vodafone offer tablets, the equivalent is probably the Smart Tab N8 (shouldn't they both be called *10 and not 8?). physically it looks a newer design. I'd rather not buy into a SIM contract for a tablet when there is no 3G or 4G coverage here in the Welsh hills. We only get a 2G (voice and text signal).

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I only buy SIM free devices these days as I carry around a mobile router so I have 2 devices online and the "boss" has her SIM free phone also online. I'm thinking about the LTE SIM free Huawei to take along on my Hong Hong/Thailand/Taiwan eating/drinking trips where I can buy a travel SIM at the airport...

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I've got the tablet working much better by ditching the Acer Liquid launcher and using Evie instead. It runs much smoother so I can only assume the code is better optimised in Evie. I also disabled a load of OEM bloat I won't be needing. Liquid even lagged on the unlock screen, it was quite frankly like driving with the handbrake on

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was going to look at tablets, and more specifically, Chromebooks while I was in Hong Kong last week but didn't get round to it because of the weather. There was a typhoon heading towards China so we got a bit of rain. I was wondering if they'd be much cheaper than here. In the end I came back with a new pair of Docs Much cheaper than here.

I need to go to HK again but can't leave the country for the next four to six months until my permanent residence is processed or denied... More like the latter methinks!

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

good luck with that

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, good luck. In a couple of years, I may be going through similar.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by smr54
    Yeah, good luck. In a couple of years, I may be going through similar.
    I gave up counting the number of three years spouse visas I've had after number 8! Permanent Residence is usually a no-brainer after 10 years but they never suggest I apply. They only recommend it spotty faced newbies... I only have two grown kids here (24 and 22) and I'm 61 this November and I can't go on like this! If they turn me down, I'm done here. I've lived in Japan more than half my life.

Back to tablets. I see Huawei have brought out a couple of cheaper alternatives recently. The flagship was 4Gb with 64Gb storage (32Gb) is enough for me but the new one is now 3Gb memory. Perhaps it's enough?