FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community

Canon printer LBP6000 broken after kernel upgrade !

Hi. I'm recently installed my Canon printer LBP6000 & it worked very well. See:

http://www.forums.fedoraforum.org/sh...d.php?t=314533

Today I upgraded my system, & it included kernel. After updating system, printer broken. Now no print at all. Every print order go pending infinitly.

I go to system setting, then print setting, & did not alter any thing. I just click over LBP6000 & see state & take 3 screenshots which show error messages. Please look for attached pictures.

I read in Internet that drivers packages that installed as external packages (from outside repositories) may fail to mapped by new kernel, so that it will not work after system (or kernel) upgrade. Is this the case with me ? Does this mean that I should repeat installation of driver every time I upgrade kernel ?? Is there a way to avoid this pain ??

Best.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.png 
Views:	48 
Size:	39.9 KB 
ID:	27104   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2.png 
Views:	35 
Size:	26.9 KB 
ID:	27105   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3.png 
Views:	36 
Size:	27.7 KB 
ID:	27106  
    Last edited by User808; 16th June 2017 at 08:59 AM.
    Fedora 28 X64 bit Cinnamon edition on Lenovo ThinkPad e550 with Intel core i7 5500 CPU @ 2.40 GH X 2, RAM = 8 GB, HHD = 1 TB, Hybrid VGA (Intel Corporation HD Graphic 5500 + Radeon R7 M265 2GB)

Re: Canon printer LBP6000 brocken after kernel upgrade !

I don't think kernel upgrade is the culprit. I think this is just an userspace driver for CUPS. Nothing to do with kernel. I would check logs for any SELinux blockages or similar.

Quote Originally Posted by srakitnican
    I don't think kernel upgrade is the culprit. I think this is just an userspace driver for CUPS. Nothing to do with kernel. I would check logs for any SELinux blockages or similar.
    No any SELinux warning !! It was working before update. However, I did not tried it immediately after kernel update. I tried it after kernel update by many hrs. during these hrs. I did not do something major other than rebuild for rpm data base !
    Fedora 28 X64 bit Cinnamon edition on Lenovo ThinkPad e550 with Intel core i7 5500 CPU @ 2.40 GH X 2, RAM = 8 GB, HHD = 1 TB, Hybrid VGA (Intel Corporation HD Graphic 5500 + Radeon R7 M265 2GB)

Hi.

1) In read me file of driver there is following:
    4. Auto startup setting procedure for ccpd daemon -------------------------------
    When setting the Status Monitor to start automatically, ccpd daemon must be set
    to start automatically as well.
    Set ccpd daemon to start automatically in the following procedure.

<For a distribution with a /etc/rc.local file>
    /etc/rc.local file.

<For a distribution with a /sbin/insserv command>
    /etc/init.d/ccpd, and execute the 'insserv ccpd' command.

### BEGIN INIT INFO
    # Provides: ccpd
    # Required-Start: $local_fs $remote_fs $syslog $network $named
    # Should-Start: $ALL
    # Required-Stop: $syslog $remote_fs
    # Default-Start: 3 5
    # Default-Stop: 0 1 2 6
    # Description: Start Canon Printer Daemon for CUPS
    ### END INIT INFO

<For a distribution with a /usr/bin/systemctl command>
    the following.
    #!/bin/sh
    /etc/init.d/ccpd start

Next, execute the command below and update the version of the
    /erc/rc.d/rc.local file.
    # chmod 777 /etc/rc.d/rc.local
    I mean that is ccpd is by default auto-started or not ? If not is then should modified to be auto-started, isn't it ? & if yes, can you explain more if any ?

2) Also there is the following:
    Status Monitor:
    A) Manually Running Monitor:
    The Canon status monitor can alert you to any issues with your printer. This can be run directly on the terminal by issuing this command:
    captstatusui -P <Your printer name as specified in cups>
    captstatusui -P LBP6018
    You will be presented with the User Interface and it should say ready to print. If not make sure the printer is switched on.
    b) Running Monitor on Startup:
    If we want the monitor to run each time the computer is switched on we can add it to the as a startup application by searching for and running "Startup Applciations" from system setting.
    - Click the Add button.
    - Name: Canon Printing Status Monitor
    - Command: captstatusui -e -P <Your printer name as specified in cups>
    captstatusui -e -P LBP6018
    - Description: Hidden until error occurs
    The -e option causes the monitor to stay hidden until an error occurs like when you run out of paper.
    Does this of benefit ?

I tried:

sudo service ccpd start

& received O.K output, but printer still not print (job remain pending for infinite time) !

I will uninstall driver & re-install it. In manual use rpm command for this. Is it better to use DNF commands that I used in installation ?

Waiting for your kind response.

Both rpm and dnf should have the same result, e.g. having package installed, the difference is that dnf is a bit smarter in a sense that it maintains a history database and installs dependencies.

Both rpm and dnf should have the same result, e.g. having package installed, the difference is that dnf is a bit smarter in a sense that it maintains a history database and installs dependencies.
    O.K just review the following method that commented by Canon to see if there is something need modification for Fedora 24 (apart from replacement rpm command by dnf):

Uninstalling LBP6000B Canon Printer Driver:
    1) Delete the registered printer from the ccpd daemon setup file.

sudo /usr/sbin/ccpdadmin -x LBP6000

2) Delete the printer's spooler registration.

sudo /usr/sbin/lpadmin -x LBP6000

3) Uninstall the CAPT printer driver module.

sudo rpm -e cndrvcups-capt-2.71-1

4) Uninstall the common module for CUPS drivers.

sudo rpm -e cndrvcups-common-3.21-1

Hi.

If you have this printer then put it in river & get red from it's headache ! I uninstall driver & reinstall it with same error ! It seem that updating system make something: whether kernel incompatibility or other package compatibility or something else ... For how long this machine will work if we solved this issue ? 2 months , 6 months ? Then it will break & you will waiting 1 or 2 years before re-working again by new driver version & also rebroken again !

Canon is very bad in it's Linux support !

I will delete guide that I posted about how to install this printer.

--------------------------

One more thing: when I uninstalled driver I used DNF. But NO ANY DEPENDENCY REMOVED !!! Only drivers (2 packages) were removed but without asking to remove their dependencies !!! Why ?!