FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: Reliable 1 Terrabyte Hard Disk Drive.

antikythera, yes, you'll find the Seagate (Barracudas) are much quieter than any WD Blue/Black/Green I have heard. I'm incredibly sensitive to noise too and the spinning platters of a WD drive in my room drove me immediately to Seagate. Now my computer is as quiet as it can get I think. I have a Fractal Design Define S with noise dampening, rubber grommets for HDD mounts, Fractal Design/Be Quiet! fans and generally my GPU and PSU fans don't come on, so even heavy workloads aren't too loud

I often run seagate and wd drives in open usb drive docks, and really haven't noticed any difference in noise levels from either brand. I have also had occasional seagate and wd drives that are noisier than usual.
    ======
    Doug G
    ======

Quote Originally Posted by Doug G
    I often run seagate and wd drives in open usb drive docks, and really haven't noticed any difference in noise levels from either brand. I have also had occasional seagate and wd drives that are noisier than usual.
    Which WD drives are you using? I've found the 5400RPM WD RED drives to be surprisingly quiet

Which WD drives are you using? I've found the 5400RPM WD RED drives to be surprisingly quiet
    I've never had any WD Red drives, but in my collection of loose drives are a few Black, Blue and Green Caviars, mostly all 7200rpm. I do have at least 1 black that is a bit noisier than most.

I'm not overly sensitive to noise in my environment either, perhaps if I had a super quiet workplace I would notice some differences in noise levels
    ======
    Doug G
    ======

Quote Originally Posted by Doug G
    I'm not overly sensitive to noise in my environment either, perhaps if I had a super quiet workplace I would notice some differences in noise levels

That's a lot like the server at my office, and the fact that my home server has fans louder than my HDDs hehe. At idle my computer is near complete silence so I can pick out the HDD noise without even trying. For some reason I'm particularly sensitive to having a quiet workstation, but I love loud servers haha

Dell PowerEdge servers do a great impression of a cyclonic bag-less vacuum when they start up and do post tests. Shame they can't tune those fans to sound like a NA V8 revving instead

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2