FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community

Windows MBR shown as unallocated

I am trying to install Fedora along side my Windows 10 OS but my MBR partition table (not GPT) is not showing.
    I have disabled quick boot and hibernation (powercfg.exe /hibernate off) under windows os.

Code:
    [liveuser@localhost-live ~]$ sudo gdisk -l /dev/sda 

GPT fdisk (gdisk) version 1.0.1

Partition table scan:
      MBR: MBR only
      BSD: not present
      APM: not present
      GPT: not present

Found invalid GPT and valid MBR; converting MBR to GPT format
    in memory. 

Disk /dev/sda: 234441648 sectors, 111.8 GiB
    Logical sector size: 512 bytes
    Disk identifier (GUID): 5A4A40FF-8079-40FA-8DF9-E64D9078727F
    Partition table holds up to 128 entries
    First usable sector is 34, last usable sector is 234441614
    Partitions will be aligned on 2048-sector boundaries
    Total free space is 4973 sectors (2.4 MiB)

Number  Start (sector)    End (sector)  Size       Code  Name
       1            2048         1026047   500.0 MiB   0700  Microsoft basic data
       2         1026048       234438655   111.3 GiB   0700  Microsoft basic data
    Code:
    [liveuser@localhost-live ~]$ sudo fdisk -l
    Disk /dev/sda: 111.8 GiB, 120034123776 bytes, 234441648 sectors
    Units: sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
    I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
    Disklabel type: dos
    Disk identifier: 0xef29344b

Device     Boot   Start       End   Sectors   Size Id Type
    /dev/sda1          2048   1026047   1024000   500M  7 HPFS/NTFS/exFAT
    /dev/sda2       1026048 234438655 233412608 111.3G  7 HPFS/NTFS/exFAT
    Code:
    [liveuser@localhost-live ~]$ sudo parted -l
    Error: /dev/sda: unrecognised disk label
    Model: ATA KINGSTON SHSS37A (scsi)                                        
    Disk /dev/sda: 120GB
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
    Partition Table: unknown
    Disk Flags:

Last edited by Djordjelukic; 28th May 2017 at 05:02 PM.

PabloTwo is offline "Registered User" T-Shirt Winner

Re: Windows MBR shown as unallocated

Perhaps you can find some useful tips to resolve your issue here.

Quote Originally Posted by PabloTwo
    Perhaps you can find some useful tips to resolve your issue here.
    Thanks for the link but im not getting any of the errors stated on that page

Only this:
    Code:
    /dev/sda: unrecognized disk label

Two root causes for this message are as follows:

The device does not contain a partition table.

If the device does contain data then perhaps the entire device is formatted with a file system. It is also possible that the device is part of some other data structure, such as a RAID. In these situations there is no partition table to edit.

Otherwise, if this is a new disk device then the device is most likely empty. In this case you would proceed to create a partition table and at least one partition to prepare the disk device for use.

The type of partition table is not recognized by GParted.

If the device contains data, then perhaps the device is using a new type of partition table. GParted supports many commonly used partition tables, such as msdos or gpt, but not all types of partition tables are supported. In this situation you would need to determine what type of partition table is in use. Then you could seek out other partition management tools to edit the partition table.
    And nothing of this is true as it is standard MBR msdos partiotion table made by windows installer and windows boots normally and and sees all partitions.

PabloTwo is offline "Registered User" T-Shirt Winner

Well, it's interesting that both gdisk and fdisk recognize the partition table but not gparted. When I ran the "sudo parted -l" on my desktop PC, it reported" Partition Table: msdos".

if your windows system is not secure boot/uefi, make sure you didn't boot your live media in uefi mode. When I boot a live use in uefi mode on a computer with MBR windows, the MBR partitions aren't recognized either.
    ======
    Doug G
    ======

Question Re: Windows MBR shown as unallocated

Zdravo Djordje,

What is your CSM mode, set in your BIOS? ON or OFF?

Unapred hvala,
    _nobody_

Quote Originally Posted by Doug G
    if your windows system is not secure boot/uefi, make sure you didn't boot your live media in uefi mode. When I boot a live use in uefi mode on a computer with MBR windows, the MBR partitions aren't recognized either.
    massive thumbs up for that answer. It's a shame the media can't detect the partition table in use for the bootable storage automatically and then boot to the right installation mode itself.

t's a shame the media can't detect the partition table in use for the bootable storage automatically and then boot to the right installation mode itself.
    This doesn't make sense on two fronts. The live media can't detect anything at all until it is booted and running. A live DVD/USB is simply a bootable collection of executable computer files, ones and zeros. Until it is booted and running on the processor it can't do anything or detect anything.

Also media don't control how they are booted. That is up to the firmware settings Modern live distributions are dual mode boot. They have both an MBR pointing to an isolinux second stage for legacy BIOS mode and an /EFI directory for UEFI mode. However which mode is used depends on the firmware type and settings. The media doesn't and can't control this.

I don't have UEFI firmware but I have sen threads where people describe how a live dist. shows up in the UEFI menus twice, once for EFI mode and once for legacy CSM mode. The user has to select the desired mode. The media can't boot itself.

I am trying to install Fedora along side my Windows 10 OS but my MBR partition table (not GPT) is not showing.[liveuser@localhost-live ~]$ sudo gdisk -l /dev/sda
    If you have MBR partitions why are you even using gdisk at all which is just for GPT partitioning.

GPT fdisk (gdisk) version 1.0.1

Partition table scan:
    MBR: MBR only
    BSD: not present
    APM: not present
    GPT: not present

Found invalid GPT and valid MBR; converting MBR to GPT format
    in memory.

It wasn't meant to make sense as I know it is not currently possible to do that.

It's just an observation that in an ideal world it wouldn't matter which option the user chose from the UEFI boot menu, the media would detect during the boot sequence to the installation UI which type of partition scheme is in place and be able to carry out the correct installation type which won't break any existing redmond installation regardless.

It's just an observation that in an ideal world it wouldn't matter which option the user chose from the UEFI boot menu
    In an ideal world this bug wouldn't exist and would be fixed. It shouldn't matter at all whether the live usb was booted as uefi or csm. Once the kernel and initrd are loaded and the root filesystem is mounted the live environment should behave the same regardless of how it was booted.

What Doug G is describing is very much a bug which shouldn't exist. His recommendation of siimply booting live usb in csm mode is simply a workaround.

Regarding OP.

I don't quite get how you got to an MBR disk on a win10 system unless you have multiple drives. (you didn't provide much detail )
    The primary Win10 OS disk is required to be GPT, plus there are several required hidden partitions that may be confusing the tools you are using.

If you are working on a secondary disk that you formated as an MBR drive then you shouldn't be seeing any Win10 OS content, just partitions you have created.

Maybe this helps????

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/win...ive-partitions
    Laptop: ASUS K61IC/ Intel T6600 2.20Ghz x2/ 4GB/ 320GB SataII/ NVidia G96M/ fc27.x86_64
    Tower: GigaByte (990FXA)/ AMD 1100T 3.3Ghz x6/ 16GB/ 7.5TB Sata III/ AMD 6770HD/ fc27.x86_64
    Bookshelf: Shuttle DS61 (H61)/ i3-3225 3.3Ghz x2/ 16GB/ 320GB Sata II/ Intel HD 4000/ fc26.x86_64
    Embedded: BeagleBone Blk / ARM AM3358 1 GHz x1/ 512MB/ 2GB eMMC/ PowerVR SGX530/ fc26.armv7hl

I don't quite get how you got to an MBR disk on a win10 system unless you have multiple drives. (you didn't provide much detail )
    The primary Win10 OS disk is required to be GPT, plus there are several required hidden partitions that may be confusing the tools you are using.
    I'm posting this reply on a MBR Windows 10 computer. Upgrades to w10 from earlier windows works fine on a MBR system, mine started with Windows 7.
    ======
    Doug G
    ======

Some versions of gparted (or probably, one of the libraries it uses) are buggy and will show the entire disk as unallocated. Easiest solution (if you must use gparted) is to boot a different distro.