FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community

Post LibreOffice leverages Google’s OSS-Fuzz to improve quality of office suite

Berlin, May 23, 2017 - For the last five months, The Document Foundation
    has made use of OSS-Fuzz, Google’s effort to make open source software
    more secure and stable, to further improve the quality and reliability
    of LibreOffice's source code. Developers have used the continuous and
    automated fuzzing process, which often catches issues just hours after
    they appear in the upstream code repository, to solve bugs - and
    potential security issues - before the next binary release.

LibreOffice is the first free office suite in the marketplace to leverage Google’s
    OSS-Fuzz. The service, which is associated with other source code
    scanning tools such as Coverity, has been integrated into LibreOffice's
    security processes - under Red Hat’s leadership - to significantly
    improve the quality of the source code.

According to Coverity Scan’s last report, LibreOffice has an industry
    leading defect density of 0.01 per 1,000 lines of code (based on
    6,357,292 lines of code analyzed on May 15, 2017). “We have been using
    OSS-Fuzz, like we use Coverity, to catch bugs - some of which may turn
    into security issues - before the release. So far, we have been able to
    solve all of the 33 bugs identified by OSS-Fuzz well in advance over the
    date of disclosure”, says Red Hat’s Caolán McNamara, a senior developer
    and the leader of the security team at LibreOffice.

Additional information about Google OSS-Fuzz is available on the
    project’s homepage on GitHub - https://github.com/google/oss-fuzz - and
    on Google Open Source Blog: (1)
    https://opensource.googleblog.com/20...s-fuzzing.html
    (announcement), and (2)
    https://opensource.googleblog.com/20...later-and.html
    (results after five months).

Blog post: http://blog.documentfoundation.org/b...5/23/oss-fuzz/

Re: LibreOffice leverages Google’s OSS-Fuzz to improve quality of office suite

Most interesting. Now when is LO going to have the ribbon option, or is the ribbon concept a patented "look and feel"?
    Leslie in Montreal

Interesting web sites list
    http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showth...40#post1697840

Quote Originally Posted by lsatenstein
    Most interesting. Now when is LO going to have the ribbon option, or is the ribbon concept a patented "look and feel"?
    I do not know how many people really care about the ribbon as you do. Personally, I do not see the ribbon to be a game changer at any level.
    Fedora 27 x86_64 XFCE - Sager | Intel Core i7 - 4810 MQ | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 860M | 16 GB RAM | 480 GB ADATA SSD |
    Fedora 27 x86_64 XFCE - Dell Precision M4800 | Intel Core i7 - 4900 MQ | NVIDIA Quadro K1100M | 16 GB RAM | 750 GB 7200 RPM HDD |

The Linux Documentation Project | Fedora Documentation

This is great news. I have been recommending Libreoffice to lot of people, of late. Hopefully, they will keep improving in this direction - improving security and feature parity!
    Fedora 27 x86_64 XFCE - Sager | Intel Core i7 - 4810 MQ | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 860M | 16 GB RAM | 480 GB ADATA SSD |
    Fedora 27 x86_64 XFCE - Dell Precision M4800 | Intel Core i7 - 4900 MQ | NVIDIA Quadro K1100M | 16 GB RAM | 750 GB 7200 RPM HDD |

Quote Originally Posted by nonamedotc
    I do not know how many people really care about the ribbon as you do. Personally, I do not see the ribbon to be a game changer at any level.
    Hi Noname.c
    ( Hi M )

I do a lot of writing and I do a lot of editing. Writing that I do is not just a Dear Mom style of letter, but my stuff includes tables and occasional images.

A word processor with the ribbon allows for fast add/remove/ comments and change markup/approvals. Its a real pain when you have to drill down to second or third level menu in order to enable/disable a function, to change language within the text, or do other tasks.

And from my experience with Word (MS ) and wps (for linux), The ribbon eliminates at least 2 levels of menu for some of the worst case functions. For the rest of the simple writing, the top level (old or ribbon menu) is not much different in using it. But try 4 hours of writing and editing of text using the ribbon, and I am sure you will come to appreciate the ribbon. It saves me time.
    Leslie in Montreal

the netbook toolbar layout will be available as and when it is ready. it is still an experimental feature that needs further development so isn't available outside development builds yet.

Quote Originally Posted by lsatenstein
    Hi Noname.c
    ( Hi M )

I do a lot of writing and I do a lot of editing. Writing that I do is not just a Dear Mom style of letter, but my stuff includes tables and occasional images.

A word processor with the ribbon allows for fast add/remove/ comments and change markup/approvals. Its a real pain when you have to drill down to second or third level menu in order to enable/disable a function, to change language within the text, or do other tasks.

And from my experience with Word (MS ) and wps.com (for linux), The ribbon eliminates at least 2 levels of menu for some of the worst case functions. For the rest of the simple writing, the top level (old or ribbon menu) is not much different in using it. But try 4 hours of writing and editing of text using the ribbon, and I am sure you will come to appreciate the ribbon. It saves me time.
    What's the difference? Don't you still have to select a category from the ribbon (much like a top layer menu)? Quite frankly I hate icons that leave me guessing what does what.
    Mind the gap.

Quote Originally Posted by hiGuys
    What's the difference? Don't you still have to select a category from the ribbon (much like a top layer menu)? Quite frankly I hate icons that leave me guessing what does what.
    Exactly! I never really understand the argument for the "ribbon" interface that leslie gives.

The ribbon exposes a category. So, in lieu of clicking on File, to see the Dropdown, the file menu is exposed as you slide across it. For example with LO.
    Edit-->Comment-->
    » create comment
    » delete comment
    » delete all comments by author
    » delete all comments.

Or

Edit -->Track Changes has 8 sub actions.

The Ribbon exposes these and as a consequence it is so much faster to write well.

I have been patiently waiting for the ribbon, LO for Fedora26 will not have it as an option
    Last edited by antikythera; 25th May 2017 at 12:38 AM. Reason: deleted wps spam
    Leslie in Montreal