FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community

Question dnf update VS gnome software updates

Hi,
    I'm a bit confused.
    Gnome Software is able to tell me when an update is available and let me install it safely "offline" but after doing that if I run 'sudo dnf update' I still get notified of some updates available.
    I've got the feeling that if I'm setting the computer for a friend/relative of mine they won't be able to keep the system updated by just following the Gnome Software notifications and they still to run dnf in the terminal every now and then.
    Please am I wrong or did I just run into "glitches" or do you know if everything will feel a bit smoother in f26?
    Cheers :)

Re: dnf update VS gnome software updates

to avoid such issues and more serious complications please only use one or the other, and certainly never use dnf from a terminal emulator inside GNOME.

this PSA explains what happens as a result of running both to check for and apply updates

http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=311702

Quote Originally Posted by antikythera
    to avoid such issues and more serious complications please only use one or the other
    Thank you, I'll do that, but please do you know if by just using Gnome Software I would get ALL of the updates??
    Cheers

...... and certainly never use dnf from a terminal emulator inside GNOME.
    Wow!! I thought the offline update died off after lack of enthusiasm for the reboot. The Gnome terminal has served me reliably for 10+ years. Are you sure this is still really a "recommended practice" ??

What about terminal use of ssh to remote hosts??
    Laptop: ASUS K61IC/ Intel T6600 2.20Ghz x2/ 4GB/ 320GB SataII/ NVidia G96M/ fc27.x86_64
    Tower: GigaByte (990FXA)/ AMD 1100T 3.3Ghz x6/ 16GB/ 7.5TB Sata III/ AMD 6770HD/ fc27.x86_64
    Bookshelf: Shuttle DS61 (H61)/ i3-3225 3.3Ghz x2/ 16GB/ 320GB Sata II/ Intel HD 4000/ fc26.x86_64
    Embedded: BeagleBone Blk / ARM AM3358 1 GHz x1/ 512MB/ 2GB eMMC/ PowerVR SGX530/ fc27.armv7hl

Quote Originally Posted by Kobuck
    Wow!! I thought the offline update died off after lack of enthusiasm for the reboot. The Gnome terminal has served me reliably for 10+ years. Are you sure this is still really a "recommended practice" ??

What about terminal use of ssh to remote hosts??
    nope offline updates still happens by default and would update all packages if left alone.

remote ssh would probably work okay since you aren't running it through the active GUI on the machine itself. It may be prudent to check with Adam if the PSA still applies since he is the one who created it and also about the use of ssh connections.

nope offline updates still happens by default and would update all packages if left alone.
    good to know that all packages get updated.. maybe it's not as snappy as dnf in getting notified about new packages because all the times I tried to rely on Gnome Software alone, after rebooting the machine, a 'dnf update' would show me more packages available, letting me believe tha Gnome Software was updating them all (it could be related to the frequency of the upadates, since some of the systems where Fedora betas). Possibly if I gave Gnome Software more time it would show them as well, right? (that's the question/reason that brought me to open this thread).
    Cheers

Well they are two separate package managers that happens to use the same packages database. Unfortunately sharing data between the two is not the best, so each will download data separately from the other, that includes information about the updates available.

Gnome Software uses PackageKit in the background.

What may have happened in this particular case is possible that dnf updates database was more recent then the one of PackageKit as they are refreshing cache in the background at different times. But eventually you should end up with same updates with both managers.

About the offline-updates; yes this is the safest way to update system, that is why Fedora is promoting it. Updating with dnf on a live system supposedly have some risk of breaking stuff, but so far haven't ran into major issues myself either and I am using dnf for everything, that includes upgrading whole release on a running system.

I'm realizing right now that possibly when using Gnome Software I won't be able to update software installed through the RPM Fusion repos, is it right?
    Many thanks

In the 10 years of updating with yum and then with dnf, I never ran into problems with conflicts.
    When a program opens a file, the ionodes for that file are held by the program. When a new version of the same file appears, it is given a different ionode value.

When the program eventually closes that file, the ionode is released and I believe the ionodes go to a zombie list (my name for such a list). The zombie list is where one could theoretically recover a file that was accidentally deleted.
    As proof. Use your web browser and with dnf notice that there is a newer replacement browser to install. Continue with your browser while dnf runs. It is only when you quit the browser and click to reopen that you will be given the updated version.

The only time I reboot after a dnf update is if the updates include the kernel. The kernel's dependents will pull the other libraries that are directly used by that kernel. As mentioned above. The reboot will do the ionode releases.
    Leslie in Montreal

Interesting web sites list
    http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showth...40#post1697840

Quote Originally Posted by horizonbrave
    Thank you, I'll do that, but please do you know if by just using Gnome Software I would get ALL of the updates??
    Cheers
    Yes eventually, it is probably a cache issue - dnf got a more recent metadata and that's it.

Quote Originally Posted by horizonbrave
    I'm realizing right now that possibly when using Gnome Software I won't be able to update software installed through the RPM Fusion repos, is it right?
    Many thanks
    Gnome Software can update through RPM Fusion
    Desktop CPU: AMD Phenom II(tm) X4 Processor 940 AM2+ - Memory: 8GB DDR2-RAM - GPU: Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 560 4GB OC - OS: Fedora 26 Workstation x86-64 and Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
    Laptop ASUS X550ZE - APU: AMD Quad Core A10 7400P + Dual Radeon R5 230, R7 M265DX - Memory: 16GB DDR3-RAM - OS: Fedora 26 Design Suite x86-64

Quote Originally Posted by Finalzone
    Gnome Software can update through RPM Fusion
    Sorry to reitarate, but please is what you're saying that Gnome software will update all of my repos?
    When installing Fedora I usually just add RPMFusion, Adobe Flash (through Negativo17) and Chrome repos (both by following the default instructions). Many thanks for your help