FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community

Trouble installing F25 server

System: AMD FX-6300 - 8GB RAM

I've been able to get the F25 MATE spin to install, but it likes to freeze the computer. I mean really freeze it. Doing a ping to it results in no route to the IP. It first started with F23 installed on a different mobo. I figured the mobo was the issue. But, F25 does the same thing with a new mobo and CPU. The only common hardware is the memory and nVidia GT-240. I prefer the old GNOME looking MATE, but since that isn't working out, I thought that I would try the main F25 server release with the latest GNOME.

Well, that isn't working out too well either. The first problem is that when hitting continue at the language screen, it takes 15 minutes, you read that right, before it gets to the next screen. The MATE spin did not have that issue.

The next issue (no matter the spin) is the HDD configuration. IMHO, the manual configuration needs a lot of work. I've been doing Unix installs way back to the days of SunOS and Sun Solaris. So, configuring HDDs is not new to me. I'm using a 240 GB SSD for the boot drive. If I've managed to get it configured the way I want, if I have to start again because the install failed during file installation, you can't tell the installer to use the currently existing partition definitions. It complains that nothing has been configured, yet there is a perfectly good config on the SSD.

If I select the SWAP partition on the existing drive, the only way to get it into the new install is to select it and reformat it. For a swap partition, that is a totally useless thing to do.

I also have two other HDDS, one 4TB being used for /home and a 6TB for other data. The 4TB drive now contains the /home files that I restored to it from the MATE install. Yet, I cannot tell if the installer will end up destroying the data on the drive, or if it will just mount it. All partitions are EXT4, no LVM usage at all.

So, I'm not selecting the 4TB drive, as I do not want the data removed.

During the install I've had the installer bail because it couldn't install the boot loader. Reason unknown and no error(s) given during disk configuration.

During another try I got the following error:
    Code:
    DNF error: Non-fatal POSTIN scriptlet failure in rpm package dovecot
    The result was a system reboot. No choice in the matter.

So, I'm trying yet another install without choosing extra packages. I can alway install stuff I'm missing later.

Damn! It completed.

Hopefully posting the above will help improve the installation experience.

UPDATE: It boots into console mode. Forgot that there is no GNOME with the server. Old habits. I now understand why it takes my system about 15 minutes to get to the next screen after language selection. Instead of the system looking dead, it would be great if there was a note indicating what it is doing and a progress bar.
    Last edited by MrVideo; 7th May 2017 at 06:11 AM.

Re: Trouble installing F25 server

common factor is the nvidia hardware in the freezing conundrum. other users have reported the same periodically for nvidia hardware. you could try using the proprietary driver

Quote Originally Posted by antikythera
    common factor is the nvidia hardware in the freezing conundrum. other users have reported the same periodically for nvidia hardware. you could try using the proprietary driver
    Thanks. I found a website that has great instructions for installing the drivers.

I'm now running with the nVidia drivers instead of the Nouveau driver.

I only have one issue left, for which I will open a separate posting.

Quote Originally Posted by antikythera
    common factor is the nvidia hardware in the freezing conundrum.
    I installed the latest Opera and the display is clean. Under the old driver, the browser was littered with sparklies and every now and then colored boxes would show up in sections, depending on where the cursor was.

Not any more. Thanks. That seems to have done the trick.