FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community

FC25 in Duel boot laptop with Windows v8.1

I installed FC25 in my previously duel boot HP laptop with FC20 & MS Windows v8.1. After installation, I could boot only FC 25, the windows boot is shown in option but never booted.
    I reinstalled Windos 8.1 and then FC25. Now Windows 8.1 is loaded first and no FC boot menu. I have to press F9 every time after restart to go to FC boot menu. Is anybody help me to solve tne issue.

PabloTwo is offline "Registered User" T-Shirt Winner

Re: FC25 in Duel boot laptop with Windows v8.1

Some HP laptop makes/models have some pretty funky UEFI firware (modified by HP) which makes the original install of Windows always the first OS in the boot order. I have ~4 year old HP Envy laptop that suffers from this situation. It dual-boots W8 and F25. Yours may or may not have this issue.

Even if I use efibootmgr to change the boot order so Fedora is first, on every new boot the UEFI firmware resets W8 to be first. Since I want to boot into Fedora 99.9% of the time, I found a workaround that works for me. I added a line to my /etc/rc.d/rc.local file:
    Code:
    # Force Fedora to boot instead of Windows on the next boot
    efibootmgr -q -n 3005
    The -n option in efibootmgr is used to set NextBoot. Since this is a "one shot" command (it only applies to next boot, putting into the rc.local file causes it to execute at every boot. The "3005" entry corresponds/mates with the "0005" Fedora entry on my current setup.
    Code:
    $ efibootmgr
    BootNext: 3005
    BootCurrent: 0005
    Timeout: 0 seconds
    BootOrder: 3000,3001,3005,2001,2002,2003
    Boot0000* Windows Boot Manager
    Boot0001* EFI HDD Device (TOSHIBA MQ01ABD075)
    Boot0005* Fedora
    Boot2001* USB Drive (UEFI)
    Boot2002* Internal CD/DVD ROM Drive (UEFI)
    Boot3000* Internal Hard Disk or Solid State Disk
    Boot3001* Internal Hard Disk or Solid State Disk
    Boot3005* Internal Hard Disk or Solid State Disk
    Use efibootmgr to see the output on your system and which entry to target for a NextBoot setup. You could just run the next boot setup command without the rc.local file entry just to test if it functions OK for you.

Of course, to now boot W8, I have to either hit the F9 key or select from the grub2 menu, then use the F9 key again to get back into Fedora.

You could, of course, just use efibootmgr to set the boot order to boot Fedora first, and see if that holds, or not.
    Last edited by PabloTwo; 26th April 2017 at 06:00 PM.

Re: FC25 in Duel boot laptop with Windows v8.1

Quote Originally Posted by snborah
    I installed FC25 in my previously duel boot HP laptop with FC20 & MS Windows v8.1. After installation, I could boot only FC 25, the windows boot is shown in option but never booted.
    I reinstalled Windos 8.1 and then FC25. Now Windows 8.1 is loaded first and no FC boot menu. I have to press F9 every time after restart to go to FC boot menu. Is anybody help me to solve tne issue.
    for future reference, the release version of F25 had a grub2 efi bug where the chainloader for windows OS was broken on some systems (including my own notebook). this was resolved by an update which is available from the stable updates repository. immediately after reinstall it should be downloaded and applied via the dnf tool using the following command

Code:
    sudo dnf distro-sync
    once the dnf process finishes, restart the system and it should boot into windows.