FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community

It finally happened...

When Gnome 3 came out, I decided to give it a try. It was truly bad at first, but the extensions got better and I actually liked it, for a while. But the devs kept making it harder and harder to build my own flavor of gnome-shell. Gnome 3.22 was the straw that broke the camel's back. I had to start using patches from Linux from Scratch to build nautilus without the tracker dependency. After reading how the gnome devs completely ignored the LfS request to add their patch upstream, I finally realized how much time I was wasting making gnome-shell useful to me.

Switching to Mate was like going home after the worst vacation ever! Things just work, and it's snappier to boot. Since I run a conky panel with hidden panels, I can't tell the difference while working. I'm still trying to figure out what the gnome devs thought was wrong with Gnome 2!

dd_wizard

Re: It finally happened...

This is how i felt when two years back i switched to mate. i tried Gnome3 in between to see progress as back as one week but was not able to stand it. MATE/XFCE just work. That is how desktop should be IMO. I have multiple machines with each having different DE.

I use MATE and Cinnamon across my machines. I find GNOME a pain in the derrier to use because you end up needing more clicks and menus to achieve the most simplest of tasks thanks to their focus on making everything look pretty rather than being functional.

I finally switched to Xfce due to the massive performance and stability issues that plague Gnome. Now my pc just keeps running for weeks without needing to restart the DE daily twice. It is more of a hassle to get Xfce to my likings, but hey it works. The nice thing about Xfce is that I can keep using many of the Gnome parts without using the rotting codebase of the shell (where they keep adding cruft to without fixing the old crap).

Whenever a new version of Gnome is released I give it a shot but soon end up ditching it and go back to KDE Plasma. Right now though, I'm using Mint 18 with Cinnamon and really like it.
    I used to miss my wife but then my aim improved.

If AMD released compatible proprietary drivers which kept pace with upstream kernel releases and therefore fedora I'd jump at the chance of running Fedora Cinnamon. As it happens I'm using LM 17.3 instead with manually installed 3.16 LTS branch kernels as long as they are supported. I prefer the tear free display the proprietary drivers provide. there's no apparent way to force vsync with gallium.

I dropped back to Gnome classic a while ago and it works for me

Quote Originally Posted by antikythera
    I use MATE and Cinnamon across my machines. I find GNOME a pain in the derrier to use because you end up needing more clicks and menus to achieve the most simplest of tasks thanks to their focus on making everything look pretty rather than being functional.
    Well, if you really use clicks to achieve something, that itself is rather cumbersome. In this regard, it's great as I don't need clicking anywhere for anything.

And looking pretty? There is not much to look at in Gnome 3, so I don't know.

I'm an old fuddie-duddie, and I am continuing with Gnome 3. But my Gnome setup is to install Taskbar and Gno Menu. Those two extensions give me the way to bypass the GUI interface with the "All" option requiring one to scroll and scroll and scroll.

I also have other extensions for personal enjoyment. (Weather, background images that I programmed to change every few hours, and a few more extensions of personal interest).

My system is responsive, and has the best of a KDE style interface and xfce and Gnome interfaces.

My observation is that we come to Linux with one interface that we master, and with which we are comfortable. Then, that comfort draws us back to it after a few days with using an alternative. We are people of habit.
    Last edited by lsatenstein; 21st April 2017 at 01:49 PM.
    Leslie in Montreal

Interesting web sites list
    http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showth...40#post1697840

Evil_Bert is offline Retired Again - Administrator

Cinnamon here, too, on Mint 18. Before that, I had Gnome 2 on Scientific Linux 6.x (a RHEL clone) for a few years.

I like Cinnamon a lot, but I think my next build might be MATE to see if some of my old and dearly loved Gnome 2 customisations will work (that unfortunately don't quite work with Cinnamon).

I remember fondly (not!) the teething problems with Gnome Shell from Fedora 15. Those problems never fully went away. That was actually what drove me to leave Fedora. Before that I was an enthusiastic Fedora/RH user from RH9 and every Fedora release up to and including F14.
    Marching to the beat of his own conundrum.

My 0.02$:

IMHO, Gnome has gone one extreme: i.e. piping the full interface through one executable "gnome shell", which gives it a serious bottleneck.
    And KDE has gone the other extreme: i.e. sprinkled little applets and proggies which die and restart and stop and un-stop all the time, and you never know what to expect.

So, I just stick with LXDM + Xfce + Xorg, and I am happy as a kite in may !

Window Maker user here checking in.