FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: It finally happened...

I moved over to KDE. It doesn't crash and it doesn't loop and lockup. It is about 2% more cpu than Gnome, when interpreting actions. In time, newer plasma versions will outperform Gnome.
    KDE is qt-based (C , C++) vs Gnome and javascript. The former will have much less overhead
    Last edited by lsatenstein; 1st March 2018 at 11:01 PM. Reason: removed word to make reading more clear
    Leslie in Montreal

Interesting web sites list
    http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showth...40#post1697840

In my case, there were other reasons then Gnome Shell for which I decided to reinstall rather than just install alternate desktops. I was also playing around with RAID 5, and wanted to reconfigure things to put only /home on the RAID array and have the rest on a separate, smaller HDD.
    StephenH

"We must understand the reality that just because our culture claims certain things are true it does not mean they are!" --M. Liederbach

http://pilgrim-wanderings.blogspot.com

Xfce user here! I used to love GNOME 3 (around Fedora 17 or 18, I think). Now, cannot stand it.

Xfce, FTW.
    Fedora 28 x86_64 XFCE - Sager | Intel Core i7 - 4810 MQ | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 860M | 16 GB RAM | 480 GB ADATA SSD |
    Fedora 28 x86_64 XFCE - Dell Precision M4800 | Intel Core i7 - 4900 MQ | NVIDIA Quadro K1100M | 16 GB RAM | 750 GB 7200 RPM HDD |

The Linux Documentation Project | Fedora Documentation

I started to look at Fedora 28. Gnome in F28 is falling behind, as is Fedora, vis a vis two competing distributions. One thing I noted using the Network install server version is that anaconda points / to an xfs file system. /home is on ext4
    Leslie in Montreal

I really like Gnome 3. I think it's come a long way and is very stable. I've grown to like the way it's easily used with the keyboard. At the same time, I tend to use very old computers (my oldest are 2009-era), and on those I only have 4 GB memory. Because of that, it's been easier to move to something lighter - once I start opening enough tabs in Firefox the memory usage starts creeping up to 75-80% at least. I've been using Mate, and it's very nice as well. I really love both these DEs. If I had a choice I'd stay on the cutting edge with Gnome 3 - it's unfortunate that DEs like Mate aren't getting more resources and attention. At the same time, I feel extremely grateful to have it and other possibilities like Xfce.

Quote Originally Posted by bfsmith9
    I really like Gnome 3. I think it's come a long way and is very stable. I've grown to like the way it's easily used with the keyboard. At the same time, I tend to use very old computers (my oldest are 2009-era), and on those I only have 4 GB memory. Because of that, it's been easier to move to something lighter - once I start opening enough tabs in Firefox the memory usage starts creeping up to 75-80% at least. I've been using Mate, and it's very nice as well. I really love both these DEs. If I had a choice I'd stay on the cutting edge with Gnome 3 - it's unfortunate that DEs like Mate aren't getting more resources and attention. At the same time, I feel extremely grateful to have it and other possibilities like Xfce.
    I can assure you MATE gets a lot of attention behind the scenes. It's like a duck on the pond though, on the surface it looks like nothing much is happening but underneath the maintainers and developers are exceedingly busy with it.

they have already ported it to GTK+3 very successfully and are working on Wayland compatibility. as for the GUI it is meant to look old school since it's a fork of GNOME 2. there are a couple of new things added though there's advanced MATE menu, and brisk menu. I don't know if Fedora's build of MATE has brisk menu but it certainly has advanced MATE menu from ubuntu since wolgang who maintains Fedora MATE packaged it. Both Advanced Menu and Brisk are similar to W7 start menu in that you have a tiled layout with a search box to quickly find applications. they can be initiated from the super key as well.

http://wiki.mate-desktop.com/roadmap

The new plasma KDE has an option that takes the best of Gnome (favourites and dash). It keeps the best of KDE as well. After 10 years of Gnome, I have left Fedora for SUSE Tumbleweed, simply because Tumbleweed has Yast. GNOME is too dumbed down. Yast is what an administrator needs to manage a system, without being kept stupid. Fedora does not have a Yast. If it did, I would not make the switch.

On a test drive, I do have F28 compose.
    Leslie in Montreal

Quote Originally Posted by antikythera
    I can assure you MATE gets a lot of attention behind the scenes. It's like a duck on the pond though, on the surface it looks like nothing much is happening but underneath the maintainers and developers are exceedingly busy with it.

they have already ported it to GTK+3 very successfully and are working on Wayland compatibility. as for the GUI it is meant to look old school since it's a fork of GNOME 2. there are a couple of new things added though there's advanced MATE menu, and brisk menu. I don't know if Fedora's build of MATE has brisk menu but it certainly has advanced MATE menu from ubuntu since wolgang who maintains Fedora MATE packaged it. Both Advanced Menu and Brisk are similar to W7 start menu in that you have a tiled layout with a search box to quickly find applications. they can be initiated from the super key as well.

http://wiki.mate-desktop.com/roadmap
    Wow...thanks so much, antikythera! That's very good to hear... it doesn't really matter to me that it looks "old school." "She's got it where it counts..." I looked for the menu you mentioned. In Fedora, in the main repos, there's something called "mintmenu.noarch : Advanced Menu for the MATE Desktop". It's very cool - I think it's one of the ones you're talking about. I was able to edit it and fix it up so well in about 15 min. that I convinced myself to start using it instead of the traditional menu (I don't like to mess with things). And the super key FTW!

Very happy to hear they're trying to move toward Wayland. I did hear about the GTK 3 updates on the "Linux Action News" podcast from Martin Wimpress - it's all very exciting.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2