[SOLVED] Brand new laptop / F25 install / Dual boot Win10 / Anaconda resize / Failure
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community

Unhappy [Solved] Brand new laptop / F25 install / Dual boot Win10 / Anaconda resize / Failure

I just purchased a brand new Lenovo T460s with Windows 10 preloaded. Of course, the first thing I did was disabled secure boot, booted into the F25 live USB, picked "install to disk" and followed through with the installation. When asked about the hard drive, I chose the internal 512GB SSD and had Anaconda resize the drive and set up partitions automatically. After the installation completed, I rebooted and now the system can't see any bootable devices.

I launched the install again so I could look at the partitions and it appears I have the following:

Fedora:
    /home 241GB
    / 50GB
    /boot 1024MB
    swap 9.5GB

Unknown:
    EFI System Partition 260MB
    Unknown 16MB
    ntfs 174GB
    ntfs 1000MB
    BIOS Boot 1024KB

Am I screwed at this point? Is there any way to salvage this? I would at least like to get the Windows 10 to boot since new laptops don't come with recovery media anymore. I have been running RH/Fedora on my Thinkpad laptops since before it was split off to Fedora and never had this issue. I am assuming it has to do with the way UEFI works but I am not sure.
    Last edited by slapshotct; 16th December 2016 at 09:04 PM. Reason: Solved

Re: Brand new laptop / F25 install / Dual boot Win10 / Anaconda resize / Failure

Hello, I have the same laptop, Fedora can install with UEFI. When you turn on your laptop hit F12 to go to the boot menu, do you see a Fedora or Windows boot option? Select them and see what happens.

Re: Brand new laptop / F25 install / Dual boot Win10 / Anaconda resize / Failure

Nope. No option there except

NVMe0: <serial> Toshiba
    > PCI LAN

The Toshiba would be the SSD. If I hit enter, it just comes back up with the same screen

If you want to get Windows back you can download the ISO burn it to a cd and load it up with a external cd/dvd rom, there should be a option to fix the bootloader. You can get the official ISO from M$'s website
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-in/soft...d/windows10ISO

For Fedora, pop in a fedora-workstation live usb, boot up from that and go to Troubleshooting --> Rescue a Fedora system, after a few seconds select 1) Continue , then hit Enter to get a shell.

Code:
    chroot /mnt/sysimage
    then change directory into /boot
    Code:
    cd /boot
    use mk2-mkconfig to update your grub file.
    Code:
    grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/efi/EFI/fedora/grub.cfg
    once that is complete, type exit then reboot and see if the grub2 menu pops up at boot.

In windows you can create a recovery drive onto a usb. I made one and then removed Windows completely, I like to have the option to install it again. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...recovery-drive

I mention the recovery drive in case you want to go full linux on your drive. But that is your choice, there is not right or wrong, just what you want.

Thanks! I will give that a whirl. I haven't used Windows as a primary OS in over 15 years but since they force me to pay for it when buying a new machine, I like to leave the dual boot in case there is ever a need (there hasn't been). The only reason I am worrying about it this time is that I think I am going to use the Windows partition as a portable digital audio workstation (DAW) since this laptop is so powerful. I am also going to mess with Ardour and may end up using Linux as my DAW in the end but want the option since there is more stuff available on the Windows side. I know, Apple rules the world for that stuff but I am not buying another new machine.

I need to run to the dentist but will do the above when I get back and update this post with more issues or as solved.

Thanks again!

since they force me to pay for it when buying a new machine, I like to leave the dual boot in case there is ever a need (there hasn't been).!
    I've used Fedora exclusively since FC6 and I used to do that too but when I bought a new laptop last spring I finally freed myself. It came with Windows on it but I never booted it. I popped in a Fedora disc, formatted the entire drive and never looked back.
    I live in my own little world, but it's OK, they know me here.

I have been using it exclusively for 15 years now but there have been times when I needed to troubleshoot a Windows specific error for a client and a virtual machine wasn't a valid test. For instance, in the past Cisco VPN clients would need to bind to the NIC and it wasn't a valid test when in a VM. That said, I haven't had an issue that I couldn't replicate in a VM in quite a while.

That said.....

This is the first time in a LONG time I have needed Windows. It is borderline embarrassing that Fedora was having issues creating a Windows 10 installation USB. Nothing was working properly and due to Fedora 25 security changes, there are a bunch of things that no longer work (like WinUSB, unetbootin or even gparted) because of Wayland. I actually had to make it in Win7 in VirtualBox. I haven't had to deal with this type of stuff in Linux in probably a decade or so.

The verdict: Still working on it. I booted into the USB and let Windows fix startup issues, it rebooted and then I only had access to Linux (very strange). Then, I rebooted again and it no longer would boot into anything. I think I am going to repair the entire install and see if I can get at least one operating system to boot reliably. If not, I might just have to wipe it clean. I can not believe the installer has regressed so much since, as mentioned above, I have let Anaconda resize the Windows partition many times in the past. Then again, I have found quite a few bugs after upgrading to Fedora 25 so I guess I shouldn't be completely shocked.

I always do the partition resize of the Windows ntfs partition in windows itself and then just let anaconda use the free space created. Seems to get less trouble that way.

Quote Originally Posted by alphacrucis
    I always do the partition resize of the Windows ntfs partition in windows itself and then just let anaconda use the free space created. Seems to get less trouble that way.
    What tool do you use? Given that Windows does not allow you to resize an active system partition???

you can shrink the active system partition using the disk management tool in Windows

Quote Originally Posted by antikythera
    you can shrink the active system partition using the disk management tool in Windows
    Ahh OK ... I don't have that level of trust in windows tools lol

Quote Originally Posted by satanselbow
    Ahh OK ... I don't have that level of trust in windows tools lol
    in this instance it is actually the safer way to do the job using the MMC Disk Management plugin because it checks the full file system contents first taking into account volume shadow copies, restore points etc.

OK.. I figured it out. If anyone has the same issue, here was the problem:

I created my Fedora 25 installation USB from my existing laptop (Lenovo T430 running F25) using the Media Writer. Apparently it created it using a legacy partition instead of GPT so it installed Fedora 25 in a way that wouldn't allow UEFI to boot natively.

To fix this, I recreated the F25 install USB with a GPT partition. I booted into the runtime environment and used fdisk to blow away the Linux partitions created from my first install. After I did that, Windows would boot normally. From there, I used my new GPT partitioned USB to install F25 and everything worked as expected.

I hope this helps someone else. If you have an older laptop running F25, don't assume Media Writer will create the USB with the proper partition type.