FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community

F23 desktop not accesible

My system: Fedora23 spin Scientific (KDE)

Before problem:
    * I did a dnf update 2016/12/06 where kernel was updated
    * Had problems with connecting cellphone so I uninstalled four libraries for mtp (media transfer protocol) that I thought conflicted. Should have used command remove, but no difference from what I understand. This uninstalled/erased in total 81 packages. Reboot.
    Code:
    dnf erase libmtp simple-mtpfs gvfs-mtpf kio-mtpfs
    Problem starts:
    After restart I enter the passphrase for my luks-encrypted ssd (/dev/sda) with boot, kernel etc. I come to the fedora login window which has changed appearence and when I type my password, no message of wrong password, no response. This happens for the last kernel 4.8.11-100.fc23.x86_64. Rebooting, the same happens for my two previous kernels 4.8.10-100.fc23.x86_64 and 4.7.10-100.fc23.x86_64
    I also have a rescue kernel that I am trying to boot but fail to enter the passphrase. It reaches the emergency stop prompt after a little while and I manage to read some logs.

Code:
    journalctl -xe
    nouveau 0000:01:00.0: Direct firmware load for nouveau/nv126_fuc409c failed with error -2
    nouveau 0000:01:00.0: Direct firmware load for nouveau/fuc409c failed with error -2
    nouveau E[  PGRAPH][0000:01:00.0] failed to load fuc409c
    nouveau E[     DRM] Pointer to float panel table invalid
    nouveau E[   PFIFO][000:01:00.0] unsupported engines 0x00000001
    nouveau E[     DRM] failed to create kernel channel, -22
    Failed to start Cryptography Setup for luks-xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx
    Failure for several functions due to dependency
    I boot with a liveCD
    From here I can open the ssd with passphrase.
    The hdd I get the following error messages
    * Wrong passphrase:
    Code:
    An error occurred while accessing 'Home', the system responded: The requested operation has failed: Error unlocking /dev/sdb2: Command-line `cryptsetup luksOpen "/dev/sdb2" " luks-xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx" ' exited with non-zero exit status 2: No key available with this passphrase.
    * Correct passphrase:
    Code:
    An error occurred while accessing 'Home', the system responded: An unspecified error has occurred: No such interface 'org.freedesktop.UDisks2.Filesystem' on object at path /org/freedesktop/UDisks2/block_devices/dm_2d4
    Rebooting
    Code:
    [liveuser@localhost ~]$ udisksctl unlock -b /dev/sdb2
    Passphrase: 
    Unlocked /dev/sdb2 as /dev/dm-4.
    [liveuser@localhost ~]$ udisksctl mount -b /dev/mapper/
    /dev/mapper/fedora_patrik--desktop_hdd-home 
    /dev/mapper/fedora_patrik--desktop_hdd-var 
    /dev/mapper/fedora_swap_patrik--desktop-swap 
    /dev/mapper/live-base 
    /dev/mapper/live-osimg-min 
    /dev/mapper/luks-xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx 
    [liveuser@localhost ~]$ udisksctl mount -b /dev/mapper/fedora_patrik--desktop_hdd-home 
    Mounted /dev/dm-6 at /run/media/liveuser/home.
    [liveuser@localhost ~]$ udisksctl mount -b /dev/mapper/fedora_patrik--desktop_hdd-var
    Object /org/freedesktop/UDisks2/block_devices/dm_2d5 is not a mountable filesystem.
    [liveuser@localhost ~]$ cd /run/media/liveuser/home/
    [liveuser@localhost home]$ ls
    lost+found  patrik
    [liveuser@localhost home]$ cd patrik/
    bash: cd: patrik/: Permission denied
    [liveuser@localhost home]$
    Added a new passphrase to my ssd and hdd disks to avoid errors from deafult english keyboard(usually swedish). Booting to latest kernel again and get passphrase question also for hdd-var at startup, this has not happened before. Stops at the same point as before - Failed to start Security Auditing Services and gets emergency mode prompt. But now I can access my hdd to save some files I hadn't backed up, great! From the logs I read, see file for full info.

Code:
    journalctl -xb
    dec 08 15:03:20 patrik-desktop kernel: ACPI: Core revision 20160422
    dec 08 15:03:20 patrik-desktop kernel: ACPI Error: [\_SB_.PCI0.XHC_.RHUB.HS11] Namespace lookup failure, AE_NOT_FOUND (20160422/dswload-210)
    dec 08 15:03:20 patrik-desktop kernel: ACPI Exception: AE_NOT_FOUND, During name lookup/catalog (20160422/psobject-227)
    dec 08 15:03:20 patrik-desktop kernel: ACPI Exception: AE_NOT_FOUND, (SSDT:xh_rvp10) while loading table (20160422/tbxfload-227)
    dec 08 15:03:20 patrik-desktop kernel: ACPI Error: 1 table load failures, 7 successful (20160422/tbxfload-247)
    dec 08 15:03:20 patrik-desktop kernel: ACPI: [Firmware Bug]: BIOS _OSI(Linux) query ignored
    dec 08 15:03:20 patrik-desktop kernel: nouveau 0000:01:00.0: DRM: Pointer to flat panel table invalid
    dec 08 15:03:20 patrik-desktop kernel: nouveau 0000:01:00.0: DRM: unknown connector type 70
    dec 08 15:03:20 patrik-desktop kernel: nouveau 0000:01:00.0: DRM: failed to create encoder 1/8/0: -19
    dec 08 15:03:20 patrik-desktop kernel: nouveau 0000:01:00.0: DRM: Unknown-1 has no encoders, removing
    dec 08 15:05:45 patrik-desktop systemd[2366]: /usr/lib/systemd/system-generators/anaconda-generator failed with error code 1.
    dec 08 15:06:44 patrik-desktop systemd-cryptsetup[2658]: Set cipher aes, mode xts-plain64, key size 512 bits for device /dev/disk/by-uuid/e3824e9e-0084-4ef7-91e1-b3036ddf759e.
    dec 08 15:06:45 patrik-desktop systemd-cryptsetup[2658]: Invalid passphrase.
    dec 08 15:06:45 patrik-desktop systemd-cryptsetup[2658]: Too many attempts; giving up.
    dec 08 15:06:45 patrik-desktop systemd[1]: systemd-cryptsetup@luks\xxxxxxxxxx\x...xxxxxxx.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
    dec 08 15:06:45 patrik-desktop systemd[1]: Failed to start Cryptography Setup for luks-xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx.
    dec 08 15:06:45 patrik-desktop systemd[1]: Dependency failed for Encrypted Volumes.
    ... Followed by a long list of failed due to dependency.
    I read some posts and at booting up again with the latest kernel I get passed the ssd passphrase and the fedora login window appears as before, non/responsive, but I use Ctrl-Alt-F2 to enter a pseudo-prompt and I can login in to the system and do a proper backup. I can now access the system, like the dnf history, but just through the prompt no KDE desktop environment.

Question:
    What would be the wise thing to do?
    * Undo update
    * Undo erase of mtp packages (which would mean install the packages again?!)
    * Try to do a new dnf update (I haven't found any bug reports on my latest kernel...)
    * Try to fix the desktop environment that has been affected somewhere outside all three kernels.
    * Since F23 is soon unsupported, I will have to do an upgrade soon anyway, but would like to understand the problem I had for some days now...
    Attached Files Attached Files

Re: F23 desktop not accesible

From the logs you provide I would say it has not so much to do with the kernel but more with the graphics driver (nouveau). This driver probably go upgraded together with the kernel (should be visible in the update log). This would explain, why the problem exists with all the installed kernel and not just with the last one.

one duplicate thread was removed. please stick to one thread per topic as per the forum guidelines

I thought that the the kernel driver (nouveau is a kernel driver) belonged to each kernel and if it doesnīt, why shouldnīt it?
    But yes, that would be logical since the nouveau errors came first. As I mentioned the kernel was updated and in the dnf history info log there is no more detailed information about what was included in the kernel update for kernel 4.8.11-100.fc23.x86_64. I tried to search for what the kernel update included but donīt find anything useful. Running
    Code:
    modinfo nouveau
    I see that the filename and vermagic have kernel 4.8.11-100, but Iīm not sure what it means if it doesnīt belong to the each kernel.

The graphics card is Nvidia and I have found proprietary drivers for the card https://rpmfusion.org/Howto/nVidia.

I have now tried to
    • Install Nvidia driver failed
      Code:
      dnf install xorg-x11-drv-nvidia akmod-nvidia "kernel-devel-uname-r == $(uname -r)"

• dnf update included new kernel 4.8.12-100, this didnīt solve the problem

Now Iīm out of ideas what to test...any suggestions?

one duplicate thread was removed. please stick to one thread per topic as per the forum guidelines
    When I posted I looked away for a second and missed the message, I thought it was an error message so I tried again and then saw the message about moderator approval. I think it would be good if the message is shown for more than 3 seconds... and I will not doublepost future on

Looking in the /var/log/Xorg.0.log I have the same output as in this thread in the nouveau bug list https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=94728 . Strangely enough I have used nouveau since spring and it has worked, so I donīt get why that error from the thread would enter now.