FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community

Unhappy F25, list of new issues - any help?

At first I thought I just had a failed F24->25 upgrade, but all of these remained after I downloaded the ISO and installed F25 from scratch.

1. The show stopper: I can't configure a VPN. In network settings when I click the plus-sign button, choose "VPN" and then select any of the VPN types (e.g., OpenVPN), it says "unable to load VPN connection editor."

2. Annoyance: the Gnome shell is no longer implicitly a login shell. It doesn't seem to source any profile information anymore including the systemwide stuff in /etc/profile.d. Why it's a problem for me - I have numerous custom keyboard shortcuts that refer to scripts that live in the ~/bin/ directory. You'd think I could get around that by changing the shortcuts to refer to absolute paths (/home/myaccount/bin/script) but it refuses to run those too. Only workaround I've figured out is to symlink each one into /usr/local/bin, and that feels awkward as all hell. Is this a bug, or an intentional new security restriction? For what it's worth, if I choose "gnome classic" I get the old, more flexible behavior.

3. Minor annoyance: the tap-to-click option for the touchpad is no longer offered in the mouse/touchpad configuration. (Thinkpad T420s hardware in this case.) Maybe there's a command line workaround?

4. Very minor annoyance (installer only, doesn't apply to 24->25 upgrade): the installer cautions against using spaces in usernames, but on that particular screen it also prevents you from putting spaces in the user's full name or the password.

------------------------

Has anyone else run into any of these? For now I've reinstalled F24 and retrieved my home directory from backups; the VPN is an absolute necessity, so I can't upgrade until finding out there is a resolution to at least that one.

Re: F25, list of new issues - any help?

My thinkpad X240 is upgraded from F23 to F24 to F25 workstation so I haven't seen issue no 4.

1. On my install this problem is not there. The packages required for this might have been removed during upgrade, did you check the output of dnf system upgrade before it reboots system to install updated packages?

2. No idea about this...this may be an issue due to wayland being default display server. Try Gnome on X server instead of classic and see if this is still working. If yes, then this is definitely a Wayland security restriction.

3. Tap to click can be changed from dconf editor. install it using dnf install dconf-editor and navigate to : org.gnome.desktop.peripherals.touchpad and configure tap-to-click value.
    Lenovo Thinkpad X240: Intel Core i7 4600U 4th Gen 2.1-3.2 ghz, 8 GB DDR3 PC-12800 RAM, 1 TB Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Intel HD4400 Graphics, Intel Wireless 7260+Bluetooth, Intel I218-LM Ethernet, Intel HD Audio.
    Primary OS: Fedora 25 Workstation x86_64
    Secondary OS: Windows 10 Pro x86_64

I would second the above post--make sure that you still have whatever NetworkManager requires as a vpn plugin, or reinstall said plugin.

But the same problem exists on a fresh install.

I also verified this just now with another fresh install, on a second laptop (Dell E5530). Same symptom when trying to add a VPN: "unable to load VPN connection editor." If there's a package missing, what package would it be?

... okay, now I begin to understand. Just did "dnf search vpn" and got a long list. I guess these used to be loaded by default and they aren't anymore. Which is fine, though the error message is less helpful than it could be. Once the VPN is up I imagine I can work around or live with the other points. Thanks for the nudge.

I would do search openvpn which should, hopefully, narrow it down. (As you mentioned openvpn earlier.)

your problem #2 I believe is an issue from running under Wayland. If you run under X, the behavior should return to what you expect.

Progress report, running through the list in reverse.

#4 I can't reproduce at the moment. I've re-run the installer three times now and had that problem come up twice, but the last time it didn't happen. So, I dunno.

#3 is resolved, per the helpful suggestion about dconf-editor.

#2 is indeed resolved by running "GNOME on Xorg."

#1 had me stuck for a while after installing the NetworkManager-openconnect package (since it turns openconnect is what my employer's network supports -- I had to get home from the office to find that out) but still getting the "unable to load" error. Then I noticed there was also a NetworkManager-openconnect-gnome package. Silly me. It works.

Conclusion:

Thanks for all the help. Looks like I'll be able to stick with F25 now.