FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community

Blink Softphone Install fedora 24 & 25beta

Hopefully you don't have to pull your hair out like i did for 2 days to find all dependencies.

Blink is a nice looking, fully featured softphone available for Linux,MacOS, and Windows. more information here. Unfortunately its not packaged in fedora repos so its a manual affair for the install.

First you'll want to change directory to where you would like to install files, example will be /usr/local/src/
    Code:
    cd /usr/local/src/
    next download the main project files and the SDK from Git
    Code:
    wget https://github.com/AGProjects/blink-qt/archive/master.zip
    wget https://github.com/AGProjects/python-sipsimple/archive/master.zip
    Next extract files
    Code:
    unzip master.zip
    repeat for both zips.
    you should be left with similarly named files in /usr/local/src/blink-qt-master and usr/local/src/python-sipsimple-master remove the '-master' from the names of directories
    Code:
    mv /usr/local/src/blink-qt-master /usr/local/src/blink-qt
    make the directories executable
    Code:
    chmod 755 -R /usr/local/src/blink-qt-master
    repeat for both directories
    Now this should be most of the dependencies needed but its possible my system has some yours may not hopefully it shouldn't be too much to find the rest if any are missing.
    Code:
    dnf install python-devel redhat-rpm-config compat-openssl10-devel sqlite-devel gcc-c++ libvpx-devel ffmpeg-devel python2-Cython python2-google-api-client qt5-qtwayland python-twisted-core python-setuptools_hg python-dateutil python2-greenlet libuuid-devel x264-devel opus-devel python2-gmpy2 libvncserver-devel alsa-lib-devel libv4l-devel python-qt5-webkit darcs avahi-compat-libdns_sd-devel python-cjson python2-zope-interface python2-lxml python2-dns
    after they are all installed you should still be in /usr/local/src directory so change to the python-sipsimple directory
    Code:
    cd python-sipsimple
    there is an install script that should pull in the rest of the dependencies located in docs folder
    Code:
    cd docs/
    the script is named Install.linux the main important part is the script at bottom and
    Code:
    sudo pip install -U cython dnspython lxml python-gnutls python-otr python-application twisted python-dateutil greenlet
    most dependencies were already installed but it seems pip updated them so It didn't seem to be an issue.
    the install script will need some editing to be usable. cut it down until you only have the part of the script should look like this
    Code:
    # Eventlib
    if [ -d python-eventlib ]; then
            cd python-eventlib
            darcs pull -a
            sudo python setup.py install
    else
            darcs get http://devel.ag-projects.com/repositories/python-eventlib
            cd python-eventlib
    fi
    cd ..

# XCAP library
    if [ -d python-xcaplib ]; then
            cd python-xcaplib
            darcs pull -a
    else
            darcs get http://devel.ag-projects.com/repositories/python-xcaplib
            cd python-xcaplib
    fi
    cd ..

# MSRP library
    if [ -d python-msrplib ]; then
            cd python-msrplib
            darcs pull -a
    else
            darcs get http://devel.ag-projects.com/repositories/python-msrplib
            cd python-msrplib
    fi
    cd ..

# SIP SIMPLE
    if [ -d python-sipsimple ]; then
    	cd python-sipsimple
    	darcs pull -a
    else
    	darcs get --set-scripts-executable http://devel.ag-projects.com/repositories/python-sipsimple
    fi
    cd ..

cd python-sipsimple
    python setup.py build_ext --pjsip-clean-compile
    execute the script
    Code:
    ./Install.linux
    it should build the sdk but the error output should be self-explanatory to find which dependency it is missing. once it is built change directory to the main project folder
    Code:
    cd /usr/local/src/blink-qt
    and run the python script
    Code:
    python setup.py install
    again it will either complete successfully or throw an error about a dependency which should be easy enough to find. after its successful you open blink by typing
    Code:
    blink
    in terminal. You will again possibly get dependency errors which again should be easy enough to fix but after that it should just run program. I created desktop file to make things easier.
    Code:
    [Desktop Entry]
    Name=Blink
    Version=2.0.0
    Exec=python /usr/bin/blink
    Icon=/usr/share/blink/icons/blink.ico
    Comment=state of the art, easy to use SIP client
    Type=Application
    Terminal=false
    StartupNotify=true
    Categories=Video
    I hope this helps someone else
    Last edited by cemotyz09; 7th January 2018 at 05:06 PM. Reason: updated missing dependency,path of directories

Re: Blink Softphone Install fedora 24 & 25beta

Thanks for great how-to!

Let me add my few cents. Today, I have decided to start using VoIP SIP on my Fedora Linux workstation. I have successfully built Blink, its About box says Version 3.0.2, February 9, 2017. My machine is Fedora Core 25, up to date, arch x86_64.

Things I had to do in a different way than described in the original post or in addition to it:
    1. Code:
      sudo pip2 install -U cython dnspython lxml python-gnutls python-otr python-application twisted python-dateutil greenlet
      While running with pip instead of pip2, it failed.
    2. While running a script created by editing of python-sipsimple/docs/Install.linux, I had to change working directory to be one level above "python-sipsimple", otherwise it tried to download the python-sipsimple source, what failed. Beware of typo cd.. (missing space)
    3. "darcs pull" on python-sipsimple fails, but compilation works.

I have also tried Linphone, which works just fine, but misses Google contacts integration.
    I have also tried Ekiga and Empathy, none of them were working for SIP calls.

I was aware of the type I thought I fixed it when I attached the code to this post but I'm glad it built successfully for you

Quote Originally Posted by cemotyz09
    I was aware of the type I thought I fixed it when I attached the code to this post but I'm glad it built successfully for you
    Indeed you did! I did not copy the script from this post, but rather took it as an example and modified Install.linux myself. Thanks again for the post, it has helped me.

UPDATE: doesn't seem to work on fedora 26 it doesn't seem to find openssl development files so encryption doesn't work
    Last edited by cemotyz09; 5th August 2017 at 03:27 AM.

Turns out library that Blink uses links to patent encumbered ffmpeg, so I can't share freely on Copr. Will see maybe about rpmfusion, in the meantime here's the SRPMs, you can use mock to build the packages so that you don't clutter your system with build packages..

Try and see if this works: https://mega.nz/#F!dVgR0Bxb!Ww_gYF-y7phC_6bKilc-cg

Oh and for mock you will need to add rpmfusion repo for ffmpeg to /etc/mock/default.cfg or install the package(s) manually in chroot environment. Following should do it:

Code:
    [rpmfusion-free]
    name=RPM Fusion for Fedora $releasever - Free
    #baseurl=http://download1.rpmfusion.org/free/fedora/releases/$releasever/Everything/$basearch/os/
    metalink=https://mirrors.rpmfusion.org/metalink?repo=free-fedora-$releasever&arch=$basearch
    enabled=1
    metadata_expire=14d
    gpgcheck=1
    gpgkey=file:///etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-rpmfusion-free-fedora-$releasever

[rpmfusion-free-updates]
    name=RPM Fusion for Fedora $releasever - Free - Updates
    #baseurl=http://download1.rpmfusion.org/free/fedora/updates/$releasever/$basearch/
    metalink=https://mirrors.rpmfusion.org/metalink?repo=free-fedora-updates-released-$releasever&arch=$basearch
    enabled=1
    gpgcheck=1
    gpgkey=file:///etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-rpmfusion-free-fedora-$releasever
    Last edited by srakitnican; 5th August 2017 at 11:36 PM.

Thanks for tip about openssl I'll check if that works, but wouldn't i also need to build the packages dependencies as RPMs as well to build which would be all the ones installed by PIP?

Fedora provides them as packages that will get automatically pulled when installing. The ones that doesn't provide, I've included as SRPMs. It will depend on those as well and will not install unless provided.

seems it depends on openssl 1.0 so that why it would fail to build. Updated dependencies though looking to figure out how to install through mock so RPMs can be made to make things easier

I've built the rpms using the ones provided by srakitnican but I did need to edit them so I've included my SRPMS here and on a fresh install of F27 it built and ran perfectly.
    First you need to install mock to use the SRPMS in a terminal type
    Code:
    dnf install mock mock-rpmfusion-free mock-rpmfusion-nonfree
    since Blink depends on a package from rpmfusion. Next you run
    Code:
    mock -v -r fedora-27-x86_64-rpmfusion_nonfree --rebuild --no-clean blink-3.0.3-2.fc27.src.rpm
    The only error you should get is if you're not in the right location to run the command and it's a clear error at the output, but if it runs the file will be saved at /var/lib/mock/fedora-27-x86_64/result. I copy the RPM to another location and just run
    Code:
    dnf install blink-3.0.3-2.fc27x86_64.rpm
    If you need to edit a dependency you need to extract the files from the SRPM and edit the .spec file. The only changes you may need to make are going to be to the BuildRequires or Requires portion of the .spec file. When you've made your change you need to have mock build the SRPM for you again. Run the command
    Code:
    mock -v -r fedora-27-x86_64-rpmfusion_nonfree --buildsrpm --spec blink.spec --sources .
    this example is for the blink srpm but you just change the name of the spec file after --spec and the file location after --sources. In this example I am in the srpm extracted folder that is why the location is "." the fedora-27-x86_64-rpmfusion_nonfree is the repository for mock to use to build from. Then you run the first command again to build the RPM. Remember you have to change the name of the package you're trying to build. install sipsimple 2nd to last and blink last because blink depends on sipsimple and sipsimple depends on all the other packages. Hopefully this helps someone else.
    Last edited by cemotyz09; 10th May 2018 at 03:25 PM.