0 Thread(s)

Re: Wayland xrandr equivalent

So no there is not, which sucks IMO.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

srakitnican I knew the link you provided but I thought that was for xrandr use inside wayland, like an X11 app trying to modify the monitor output inside wayland with Xwayland. Can you confirm that there is nothing like xrandr in wayland (mutter) for now ?

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

xrandr is cross DE. With wayland this needs to be done using the compositor, so by definition there is no equivalent. There might be similar DE specific functionality but currently this also seems to lag behind the Xorg utils severely.
    AFAIK there is no way to control mutter from the command line. A gnome-shell plugin might be able to do this but I doubt this will offer the same amount of functionality as xrandr any time soon.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is bad thing !! I'm always use:

xrandr --output eDP1 --brightness 0.3

to lowering brightness bellow lowest system brightness by functional key. I test it on USB live Fedora 25 Beta 1 X64 GNOME. It does not work at all ! I have following output:

"Warning: output eDP1 not found ; ignoring
    xrandr: Need crtc to set gamma on."

This is very painful for my eyes !

But I would like to ask: Fedora 25 use Wayland by default but allow user to switch to Xorg. So, in this case user can still use xrandr by switch from Wayland to Xorg , isn't it or not ? If not this mean I simply will forced to change into other distro due to effect of screen on my eyes without using above described command.

I try to switch from Waland to Xorg on USB live Fedora 25 by log out session then log in , but when I log out I did not see some icon or option allow me to shift to Xorg !! I try again after disable automatic login but still unable to see such option !! I read that in log in screen there is option for that. Is this only available on real installation only & not for Live session ??

For how long remain supporting Xorg as alternative to Wayland ??

Why Fedora push immature tools which reduce functionality of distro. ??
    Last edited by User808; 5th November 2016 at 10:59 AM.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

the cog to switch from Wayland to X11 is present on the login screen next to the username. from what I've read about it, it still has three options, GNOME, GNOME Classic, GNOME X11

the Live ISO images are set to auto log in, so you typically won't see the option or even have time to change it if it were visible. of course actual installs are easier to control.

Fedora haven't removed X11, they have replaced it with Wayland as the default renderer though where previously it was X11 with Wayland as the alternative experimental option.

Wayland is set to replace X11 eventually, much like dnf did to yum.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exclamation Re: Wayland xrandr equivalent

Dropped
    XRandR control of Wayland outputs
    protocol, Xwayland
    Completion: 0% (TBD)

Note: There is a "read-only" XRandR support in Xwayland, but it cannot send request back to the Wayland compositor so X11 applications have no control over the output configurations.

See also: https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1289714

[otaylor] We SHOULD NOT implement this. It's a vehicle for a game to mess up the user's system. The conceptual equivalent in Wayland is for an app to ask for it's buffer to be scaled or modeset fullscreen - and that needs to be implemented in Mutter - but I don't see providing to Xwayland apps; anything running under X11 I think just has to live with the screen's current configuration.
    Wayland supports different concept, so it seems that Xrandr will be obsolete. Fedora 25 gives to me the following when I run: $ xrandr:

Code:
    [intel@localhost ~]$ xrandr 
    Screen 0: minimum 320 x 200, current 1360 x 768, maximum 8192 x 8192
    XWAYLAND0 connected 1360x768+0+0 0mm x 0mm
       1360x768      59.80*+
    I run the following:
    Code:
    [intel@localhost ~]$ xrandr --output XWAYLAND0 --brightness 0.3
    [intel@localhost ~]$ xrandr --output XWAYLAND0 --brightness 0.1
    [intel@localhost ~]$ xrandr --output XWAYLAND0 --brightness 0.7
    Which gives me no any changes (in brightness).

_nobody_

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We should open an issue on gnome bugzilla to politely and gently ask them to add this feature. Not necessary every options of xrandr but the most useful one.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not a Gnome user, and, from what I've seen so far, unaffected by this, but you should be able to open the bug yourself. I'm not familiar with Gnome's bugzilla, but the RH/Fedora developers are almost always very nice on the Redhat bugzilla, and if you don't know enough to know what information to give them, at least in my experience, will walk you through what to do.

However, looking from what is quoted above, it seems as they don't plan to fix it, because it may break other things (that is, from what is mentioned above on bugzilla). If you ask nicely, they are almost certain to give you a better explanation. (As I"m not affected by this, I haven't paid much attention.)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I already have too much bugs open or that I follow against gnome that I prefer don't open it myself.

I think you misunderstood the link / quote above. For me, but I can be wrong of course, that is for xrandr use inside wayland, like an X11 app trying to modify the monitor output inside wayland with Xwayland. What we want is just a way to do some things that xrandr do in wayland. There is (was ?) a wlrandr proposal but I don't know the status of it in mutter.

https://lists.freedesktop.org/archiv...ch/007872.html
    https://lists.freedesktop.org/archiv...il/014091.html
    Last edited by Paviluf; 5th November 2016 at 05:16 PM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ah, I think you are right, I did misunderstand. Sorry.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, there are many things that Wayland misses in terms of functionality against X.org. I think nobody is against changing brightness in Wayland (see what I did here?), it's just that there will be a slightly different way of doing it.

https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=94857

One of the reasons for it might be for security. I don't know if this is still the case, taking screenshots did not work. More precisely screenshot app would take a blank image. That differs from X.org because applications in Wayland can't see anything else then its own window.

Such features will stay for a very long time, so they need to think about it thoughtfully. In addition, xrandr is a X.org tool, so there is not much sense for it in Wayland.

There is also no way currently for redshift to operate screen color temperatures.
    https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Wayla...rature_control

Interesting comments on this bug report: https://github.com/jonls/redshift/issues/55

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by antikythera
    the cog to switch from Wayland to X11 is present on the login screen next to the username. from what I've read about it, it still has three options, GNOME, GNOME Classic, GNOME X11

the Live ISO images are set to auto log in, so you typically won't see the option or even have time to change it if it were visible. of course actual installs are easier to control.

Fedora haven't removed X11, they have replaced it with Wayland as the default renderer though where previously it was X11 with Wayland as the alternative experimental option.

Wayland is set to replace X11 eventually, much like dnf did to yum.
    So, it is as simple as such when upgrading to Fedora 25 & above, select X server instead of Wayland & get releaf from headache.

But which is point to Xorg: GNOME X11 , isn't it ? And what GNOME & GNOME classic point to ?

And what about Cinnamon version of Fedora ? Does it will have such options ? I use Cinnamon edition of Fedora 24 X64 but I do not see options allowing me to change from Xorg to Wayland ?

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by User808
    So, it is as simple as such when upgrading to Fedora 25 & above, select X server instead of Wayland & get releaf from headache.

But which is point to Xorg: GNOME X11 , isn't it ? And what GNOME & GNOME classic point to ?

And what about Cinnamon version of Fedora ? Does it will have such options ? I use Cinnamon edition of Fedora 24 X64 but I do not see options allowing me to change from Xorg to Wayland ?
    X11 is a "major version" of the X protocol, which has evolved since inception. X11 is the most recent protocol and the most common. Xorg is an implementation of an X server, X libraries and a collection of clients, all talking X11

The point is that Fedora is a development operating system where new packages and resources are tested and bugs ironed out.

Cinnamon isn't compiled for Wayland yet so you won't have an option to use it.

GNOME Classic is generally used by corporate users of RHEL and those who don't like the smartphone interface of GNOME 3.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast