FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community

Dolphin corrupts files in USB to USB move ? (F24, Dolphin, Plasma, USB3)

Today I lost some files when transferring from one USB 3.0 hard drive to another using drag and drop in Dolphin.

I was doing maintenance on my photo collection. I had previously downloaded some jpg and raw files directly from the camera onto USB drive "A". I keep my photos organized on USB drive "B". I thus attempted to move the photos from USB drive A to USB drive B with Dolphin. Both USB A and USB B are multi GB SATA 3.5" hard drives with USB 3.0 interfaces. They are formatted EXT4.

As near as I can remember, here is what happened:

1) I opened Dolphin. I split the screen. I selected USB drive A on the left panel. I selected USB drive B on the right panel.

2) I did a bit of browsing on USB A to ascertain which folders I wanted to move. I created a new folder on USB drive B.

3) I selected about 10 folders containing several hundred images from drive A. I dragged them over to the drive B panel in Dolphin and dropped them on the folder I created. I selected Move from the pop up menu. Not copy.

4) The process started. I opened the notification window and expanded the info to watch the files being copied. The process took about 15 minutes. The CPU load was very high, like 100%, on the plasma shell process.

5) At the conclusion of the process I just happened to open up a jpg to have a look at it. I started scrolling through the files only to find that several sub folders had images with file sizes of 0B. They could not be opened. The file content was lost even if the handle was there.

6) When I went back to the source folders on drive A, the images are, of course, gone.

The hard drives have both been fine. I ran fsck on them and both came up clean.

I've seen files lost like this using Dolphin before. I suspect there is a bug in the kio process when transferring large blocks of files from one USB drive to another.

What is interesting is that if you use mv or cp on the command line, the CPU load is way, way lower than if the files are moved from Dolphin. Like 5% versus 100% and the command line operations are quite a bit faster.

What gives with the speed and file corruption when transferring large blocks of files with Dolphin ?

Is there another graphical file manager for KDE that works better than Dolphin ie, one that doesn't use kio ?

I would use cp and mv more often, but I like to know how fast the files are moving and where the process is at, ie they need a status bar.

Thanks.
    Last edited by linuxguy123; 29th October 2016 at 04:44 AM.

Re: Dolphin corrupts files in USB to USB move ? (F24, Dolphin, Plasma, USB3)

I'm not the only one that has experienced issues using Dolphin to copy files.

https://www.reddit.com/r/linux/comme...e_that_doesnt/
    https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=162211#c33

I've seen similar complaints about Nautilus. I wonder if it's faster to got USB1 -> Hard Drive -> USB2.

Think rsync has a progress bar option. Krusader is an older two-panel file manager for KDE that's in the repos.

Being an old fart I never copy large numbers of files with a GUI - I learned that lesson decades ago.

What is more, when you drag and drop from one device to another device, it should do a copy, not a move (copy and delete). So there are multiple bugs in Dolphin regarding this process.
    --
    Have fun!
    http://www.aeronetworks.ca

Quote Originally Posted by joncr
    I've seen similar complaints about Nautilus. I wonder if it's faster to got USB1 -> Hard Drive -> USB2.
    It is certainly not faster to do a 2 part move. It probably isn't safer either because there are twice as many operations to go wrong. And the problem with doing it is that you need disk space on the local hard drive to temporarily hold the files in transit. And if you are copying instead of moving you'll need to delete files from 2 locations, the source location and then the temporary location on the hard drive. I'm tired just thinking about it.

Think rsync has a progress bar option. Krusader is an older two-panel file manager for KDE that's in the repos.
    I checked out krusader. It uses kio just like Dolphin does. As does the Konqueror file manager. I suspect that is where the bug resides. Midnight commander is the only file manager I can find that doesn't use kio. I suspect that it uses cp and mv, but I might be wrong.

I'm really frustrated because I just bought a bunch of hard drives with the intent of cleaning up and backing up a bunch of files that I've had unorganized for years and I'm very disappointed I can't just drag and drop them. At least I have the command line. I can't believe how much slower kio is than cp and how much more cpu it takes. A big kio transfer essentially locks up my PC - a quad core i7-5775R @ 3.30 GHz with 16 GB RAM and a 256GB SSD !
    Last edited by linuxguy123; 29th October 2016 at 04:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchman
    Being an old fart I never copy large numbers of files with a GUI - I learned that lesson decades ago.
    There is no inherent reason not to use the GUI. It certainly is convenient from a file/directory selection point of view. I wish there was an option in Dolphin to use cp or mv to actually move the files. I'm going to look into this.

What is more, when you drag and drop from one device to another device, it should do a copy, not a move (copy and delete). So there are multiple bugs in Dolphin regarding this process.
    When you do the drop, a menu appears and you can select copy or move. I elected to do a move. There is no bug in this part that I can see.