FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community

Flatpak as a bug workaround

Discovered something interesting about installing LibreOffice Flatpak, it can be used to workaround bugs.
    I've got a bug where palette is locked to default and having tried asking for help on the likes of
    https://ask.libreoffice.org/en/questions/ decided to try Flatpak, also partly out of curiosity.
    Via Flatpak the bug has gone, can continue to use my custom palette.
    Last edited by JONOR; 5th September 2016 at 07:43 AM.

Re: Flatpak as a bug workaround

not surprised at all, I've been removing Fedora's version of LibreOffice and running the upstream TDF builds to stay 'fresh' since I first started using Fedora and never experienced any problems.

Fedora's build on the other that I tried during the Alpha and Beta stages of F24 was a bit buggy with regards toolbar and menu rendering. I did try reporting it but I don't recall anything coming of it.

Quote Originally Posted by antikythera
    not surprised at all, I've been removing Fedora's version of LibreOffice and running the upstream TDF builds to stay 'fresh' since I first started using Fedora and never experienced any problems.

Fedora's build on the other that I tried during the Alpha and Beta stages of F24 was a bit buggy with regards toolbar and menu rendering. I did try reporting it but I don't recall anything coming of it.
    Hi antikythera

What do you mean by "and running the upstream TDF builds" . How does one get the "TDF build"?
    Robert :)
    Kernel 4.11.12-100.fc24.x86_64 Gnome Software 3.20
    CPU AMD FX-6300 Six Core AM3+
    MoBo Gigabyte 78LMT-USB3 AMD760G AM3+ MicroATX
    Memory 8 Gigs Gskill Ripjaw DDR3-1333 PC-10666

one downloads the rpms from the libreoffice fresh downloads page. I prefer to use the torrent and then seed it to other peers from my computer when I'm finished downloading them via Transmission.

simple process really. I prepared a guide about it many moons ago

Just followed your guide antikythera for installing TDF builds which went successfully and has some obvious benefits over Flatpak such as quicker file and config integration.
    Should say for the present 5.2.0.4 is significantly more unresponsive in Writer and slightly more unresponsive in Calc spreadsheets than 5.1.5.2.
    Have decided to go back to 5.1.5.2 and wait until a higher fresh TDF download is available and maybe try that.
    My original plan was to find a guide like antikytheras but Flatpak came up in the search engine result first and piqued interest.
    Also, another partial workaround to aforementioned bug is remove the standard.soc from ~/.config/libreoffice/4/user/config of LO 5.1.5.2 and replace with customized standard.soc.
    Last edited by JONOR; 7th September 2016 at 09:07 PM. Reason: more detail / grammar