FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    End of the earth
    Posts
    94

    F24 vs K24

    Both releases are good to go for me. The only real difference between the two is speed of opening a program K24 seems to be much faster even though I have F24 installed on the hard drive and K24 on a usb thumb drive. Video is much better than on F23 and K23 for sure.

    The only down side at the moment is on both F&K24 is,neither one can open an encrypted hard drive. This is really the only bug I found so far. Everything else is great. Thanks for the all the hard work.


    ? Could some one point me in the right direction so I can file a bug report so they can help me track the trouble . Thanks

    edit: forgot about kmahjongg giving me trouble at one point maybe I'll try to install it on K24 to compare. Games don't count as a problem for me
    Last edited by Temujin; 5th August 2016 at 02:20 AM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Laurel, MD USA
    Posts
    7,157

    Re: F24 vs K24

    Quote Originally Posted by Temujin
    Both releases are good to go for me. The only real difference between the two is speed of opening a program K24 seems to be much faster even though I have F24 installed on the hard drive and K24 on a usb thumb drive. Video is much better than on F23 and K23 for sure.

    The only down side at the moment is on both F&K24 is,neither one can open an encrypted hard drive. This is really the only bug I found so far. Everything else is great. Thanks for the all the hard work.


    ? Could some one point me in the right direction so I can file a bug report so they can help me track the trouble . Thanks

    edit: forgot about kmahjongg giving me trouble at one point maybe I'll try to install it on K24 to compare. Games don't count as a problem for me
    And what is K24? Fedora 24 with KDE as the desktop?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    End of the earth
    Posts
    94

    Re: F24 vs K24

    https://kororaproject.org/ It is a distro based on Fedora. The big difference is that it comes with all things needed for video and audio, plus some tweaks and a program called pharlap which installs proprietary drivers(like the nvidia driver). It's like what Mint does with Ubuntu. In other words it adds things Fedora can't for legal reasons. Thanks marko for pointing that out.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    2,746

    Re: F24 vs K24

    Quote Originally Posted by Temujin
    The only real difference between the two is speed of opening a program K24 seems to be much faster even though I have F24 installed on the hard drive and K24 on a usb thumb drive.
    Not necessarily surprising. If, for example, you are using a new and fast USB drive and if F24 is installed on a traditional HDD, then I wouldn't be surprised that F24 is slower. Anyways, since Korora is using the Fedora repositories it is using the same code base. Of course, what could make a difference is which services are running on F24 compared to Korora.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    End of the earth
    Posts
    94

    Re: F24 vs K24

    Really I'm surprised at the speed because usually what ever distro I put on this old usb stick is always slower on my cpu. Haven't gotten to the processes running yet but I will I like to compare. Then I'll down load chapeau linux and give that a try too when it comes out. Upgrades are always faster on the rotating rust than on the usb stick.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Montreal, Que, Canada
    Posts
    4,494

    Re: F24 vs K24

    I have K24 and http://mirror.yandex.ru/fedora/russi...es/RFRemix/24/ installed. I intend to merge them. I do like the extras provided by each. For example, I like K24's change of backgrounds every so often. I like the RFR version for some of the provided tools.
    Leslie in Montreal

    Interesting web sites list
    http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showth...40#post1697840

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    End of the earth
    Posts
    94

    Re: F24 vs K24

    I like the change of wallpaper too. I use shotwell to make my own from time to time. I make them with my own pics family and friends, pets. Some times I'll do a sailboat or a flight theme with what I find online. I never used RFRemix. I'm always a little leery of some of the unofficial OS offerings but I guess I could load it on a usb to give it a try. Thanks for the heads up.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Montreal, Que, Canada
    Posts
    4,494

    Re: F24 vs K24

    Quote Originally Posted by Temujin
    I like the change of wallpaper too. I use shotwell to make my own from time to time. I make them with my own pics family and friends, pets. Some times I'll do a sailboat or a flight theme with what I find online. I never used RFRemix. I'm always a little leery of some of the unofficial OS offerings but I guess I could load it on a usb to give it a try. Thanks for the heads up.
    RFRemix carries the Fedora Logo. I would not worry about it.
    Linux guys around the world do not like governments meddling with open-source software.
    In any event if you ever try it, use the network version. The workspace version is in Russian, and I spent some time figuring out how to convert the keyboard and displays to English.

    updates are typically one day or two days later than if you were accessing the updates from an American Mirror.
    Leslie in Montreal

    Interesting web sites list
    http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showth...40#post1697840

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    5,274

    Re: F24 vs K24

    Quote Originally Posted by lsatenstein
    I have K24 and http://mirror.yandex.ru/fedora/russi...es/RFRemix/24/ installed. I intend to merge them. I do like the extras provided by each. For example, I like K24's change of backgrounds every so often. I like the RFR version for some of the provided tools.
    simply add the RFR repositories to Korora and you have the extra provided tools available. Same applies to standard Fedora installs and I make use of the RFR packages myself. I'm posting from Chromium installed from there now.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •