FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community

F24 Unable to boot Live image

I burned the F24 image on a USB stick using the Fedora Media Writer (formerly liveUSB-creator), and was able to boot once in UEFI mode. It worked flawlessly on that first time.

Later, I tried to boot the live USB again but that time it froze after "Started user manager for UID 1000". I tried to boot in legacy mode, and got the same result. I then tried booting from the USB stick on another computer and it worked fine, indicating that the data on the USB was not corrupted.

Since I have an Nvidia video card, I thought that it might be a driver issue so I tried booting with nomodeset. Now, in legacy mode booting with nomodeset gets me on a black screen with the mouse cursor. When it appears I can move the mouse but after a few seconds, it stops responding. In UEFI mode, booting with nomodeset shows the mouse cursor over the console output, and hangs after "Started location lookup service".

I tried formatting the USB stick and burning the image again to make sure nothing had changed on the stick, but I get the same results.

I don't really know what to try next. I think it's really weird that it worked fine on the first boot, and won't work anymore. Any help would be appreciated.
    Last edited by gwebb; 24th July 2016 at 12:01 AM.

Re: F24 Unable to boot Live image

That is a very strange problem. My question is since you were changing bios settings, are you sure there isn't something you forgot to change back before trying to boot the live media on the second try? Maybe it would be worth a go to set all your bios setting to default and give that a try unless your overclocked or something. Also, when you were in your bios, did you update the bios by chance?

Cheers

Thanks for your answer.

No, I didn't change BIOS settings. When I enter the boot menu by pressing F12, I have the choice to boot the USB stick in either legacy or UEFI mode without changing anything in the BIOS itself.

I confirm that my BIOS is up-to-date and set to factory settings, except for allowing legacy boot options and disabling secure boot.

Ok, have you tried a different USB port on the computer that has a problem. It is just strange that it works fine on a different computer but wont boot on the problem computer. It has to be some small detail we are missing. So try a different USB port and give that a go and see if it changes anything.

Hope this helps.

It was actually an issue with nouveau. I had tried booting with
    Code:
    nomodeset
    but what I needed was
    Code:
    nouveau.modeset=0
    I have no clue why it worked without it the first time I booted from the USB stick though...

An additional note that might help other people facing the same issue: Once installed on the hard drive, gnome works out of the box with Wayland, but goes to a black screen otherwise. However, the system is not able to shutdown or restart properly without using nouveau.modset=0, and updating the kernel via dnf upgrade will corrupt the upgrade. So I suggest adding nouveau.modset=0 permanently to your grub config as soon as possible, even if using wayland, to avoid any issues.
    Last edited by gwebb; 25th July 2016 at 01:35 AM.

I'm glad to hear you got it figured out. This may help others who have the same problem.

Indeed thanks, for sharing the current command. Genuinely useful information is always welcome

My sarcastic observations - Seemingly some but not all developers get bored, twiddle their thumbs and feel the sadistic urge to change things occasionally (possibly controlled by which direction the wind is blowing that moment) to wind up unsuspecting users.

The issues usually manifest on our computers when something stops working and an automatic ABRT report lands in the email inbox of an ecstatic package maintainer.

It is not specific to drivers or kernels either. some Fedora package projects have been orphaned more than once due to upstream dependency package changes (new code with different commands for example) causing an absolute barrage of bugzilla reports and useful 'it doesn't work and you broke my netflix so I'm adding you to my list of mortal enemies' comments delivered with bad karma on bodhi.