FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community

Whats the major difference between xfce and mate

I have both installed with F23. The major difference that I see is in the menu system.
    Are there other differences?

I am just wanting to keep one or the other as an alternative to Gnome.

I did run E16 for a more than a week, but I wasn't comfortable to stay with it. As I expect F24 to be really stable by mid-August, at that time either xfce or mate will disappear from my computer and E16 or E17 will take it's place.

Sometimes it takes two to three go-arounds before one likes a new GUI interface.
    Leslie in Montreal

Interesting web sites list
    http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showth...40#post1697840

Re: Whats the major difference between xfce and mate

The main difference is that XFCE feels like it serves no purpose anymore.

Well, apart from the code being all different, all DEs are based on CDE and aim to solve the same problem, so they invariably end up with the same functionality.
    --
    Have fun!
    http://www.aeronetworks.ca

Well, for one, Xfce is, well, Xfce. Mate is the continuation of Gnome 2.

I prefer Compiz to XFCE's compositing system. The core packages are a little different. XFCE feels a little less polished at times compared to MATE in my opinion (certain dialogues and utility windows remind me of Windows NT). You may prefer one to the other and it is entirely down to user choice regardless of the common consensus as to which has what advantage.

There are also a couple of comparison articles and videos available over the web covering this topic.

I found Mate to be a little bit more polished, less buggy and visually more appealing than XFCE.

Just like most "this or that" - I am a big fan of Xfce. To me Xfce offers the perfect flexibility and if it ever goes away .. I would have a hard time choosing a replacement.

MATE is, of course, a continuation of GNOME 2 and it follows those philosophies - faithfully.
    Fedora 27 x86_64 XFCE - Sager | Intel Core i7 - 4810 MQ | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 860M | 16 GB RAM | 480 GB ADATA SSD |
    Fedora 27 x86_64 XFCE - Dell Precision M4800 | Intel Core i7 - 4900 MQ | NVIDIA Quadro K1100M | 16 GB RAM | 750 GB 7200 RPM HDD |

The Linux Documentation Project | Fedora Documentation

Hi Mithander

I used to teach at A Quebec province's CGEP. A CGEP IS pre-university. All students needed c++, jAVA, PYTHON AND A PRESENTATION SOFTWARE. Many students chose a Linux and MS Office, Besides knowing programming, they had to know Excel, and also solve an assignments in sql, excel, networking and java AND have SYSADMIN skills, including basic networking management. Their education is directed to software development and technical support.

The students had to know their choice of a Linux distribution, and some chose the one that had a large (French) development shop in Montreal. They chose M.S Office for reports. After the 2nd year, about half went directly to industry, and the others, to ETS, a university geared to advanced technical (l)earning, graduating with a "bachelor in Engineering" with a PEng classification.

Most did not use unity, but xfce
    Last edited by lsatenstein; 12th July 2016 at 04:52 AM.
    Leslie in Montreal

I prefer Xfce myself, but Mate would be next choice if Xfce goes away.

The major difference is that each DE uses different programs. To me, the effective differences are pretty minimal; my personal preference is for Mate.
    RockDoctor
    Registered Linux user #360200

Quote Originally Posted by lsatenstein
    I have both installed with F23. The major difference that I see is in the menu system.
    Are there other differences?

I am just wanting to keep one or the other as an alternative to Gnome.

I did run E16 for a more than a week, but I wasn't comfortable to stay with it. As I expect F24 to be really stable by mid-August, at that time either xfce or mate will disappear from my computer and E16 or E17 will take it's place.

Sometimes it takes two to three go-arounds before one likes a new GUI interface.
    XFCE was always the lightweight GTK based desktop environment, the slimmer "cousin" of Gnome. It has its own lightweight applications as well but runs Gnome's applications just as well.

MATE was started by the Linux Mint project as a fork of Gnome 2.x after the release of Gnome 3. You might remember that Mint back then was reliant on Gnome 2 as Mint was basically Ubuntu (which had used the brown themed Gnome 2) with the application bar at the bottom (to appeal to Windows XP users) and a custom software tool & driver installer. Linux Mint's popularity exploded when Ubuntu announced they were ditching Gnome for their own Unity desktop.
    Current Mint is pretty much the same nowadays with Cinnamon in the sense that it's Ubuntu but with a Gnome 3 based desktop that uses extensions that puts the task bar at the bottom and ashews Gnome's searchable, touchable shell in favour of a mouse driven application menu.
    MATE has matured and still fronts a version of Linux Mint (as well as an official Ubuntu spin and spins of Fedora and other distros) and has been ported to GTK3.

HTH
    Last edited by vinbob; 5th October 2016 at 09:27 PM.
    Chapeau Linux
    http://chapeaulinux.org

F24 MATE (1.15) isn't entirely GTK+3, it's a mix of both GTK+2 and GTK+3, F25 MATE (1.16) will be native GTK+3

Distrowatch has xfce downloaded iso's numbers as many many times the downloads of a Mate ISO.

I use Mate about 2 days per week, and Gnome another three. The remaining two days I am reserving for KDE,
    The 4.8 KDE LTS was released yesterday, and I expect it to hit Fedora by the weekend.

Why do I switch interfaces (Gnome,Mate,KDE,). I don't want to be remembered as "when the only tool you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

I suspect that SUSE or Ubuntu will be first out with the new KDE. KDE appears to do very well with Debian based systems.
    Leslie in Montreal

The major difference is that Mate is a lot more configurable than xfce - not that I know much about configuration of DEs. If one requires a basic Linux
    for a (e.g.) 1.8Mzh processor xfce is ideal as a dual-boot carry-about notebook with W7 co-existing. Otherwise, as some have inferred, one would not
    bother and would select either Mate (or Gnome)